Samsung and updates

Arehexes

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
How good is Samsung when it comes to updates, I have a lot of hang ups as a first time android phone user soon (I wanted one since the first one from t-mobile came out), and I know a issue with updates is beating their own UI on top of stock UI. So what is the track record of Samsung vs. Motorola.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
motorola is better. even with their low end devices. means nothing to me i would rather have an open platform so even if i dont get gingerbread it can be ported to my device

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
samsung is reportedly giving 2.2(froyo to Korean customers in august)

Samsung Galaxy S Getting Android 2.2 Froyo in August?

Samsung has had a spotty upgrade history to say he least.

I however think they've learned from their mistakes and have decided to start doing Android correctly.

Their phone really is in the top tier of Android devices. With a worldwide push of the Galaxy S they have too much to lose to not get it right.

They are banking on the galaxy s models being a big seller. They also plan to launch Galaxy tablets and have to keep their momentum going strong. Unsupported Galaxy S phones will ruin their public image. I think they are now forced to keep up with the rapid pace of Android. They've invested too much money and time to f up.

I am taking a guess and making the assumption they will be upgrading these devices to Froyo for US customers by end of Sep/Oct.

-former Motorola Droid and HTC Incredible owner.

Arehexes

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
motorola is better. even with their low end devices. means nothing to me i would rather have an open platform so even if i dont get gingerbread it can be ported to my device

That is true the lock down really bugs me to no end, if it's a open source phone why lock us out :(

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Samsung really botched the update thing with the Moment, but I also think they have learned from their mistakes. Or at least I hope so. Definitely want this phone.

rc3ilynt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
The way I see it, Samsung will do better in regards updates because it's so successful at home (South Korea). In order to keep their huge brand recognition and keep selling well updates should be given more frequently if ever.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Per a Samsung tweet today:

"We're testing software to optimize GPS on US Galaxy S. Expected updates avail. in Sept. Details & download to follow."

Good news.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
And pretty much the same thing on Facebook:

"Samsung continues to listen to customer feedback on GPS performance expectations on launched Galaxy S devices. We are currently testing software updates which will optimize GPS performance.

We expect to be able to make the updates available in September and will communicate more information and download instructions in the next few weeks
"