GPS doesn't work...

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Here we go again. This is the 4th release of this phone over the last several months. I think it's safe to say that Samsung has no idea how to fix this.

That said, I wonder if he ever activated the Fascinate. If not, that could explain why it's taking longer to lock, without the AGPS helping it out.

Archerdude

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
This will be the deal breaker for us. Iwanted to get this for my wife so she would be able to use the features that come with the ability to use GPS. if its not there it just not for us. I would like to know how this stacks up with other phones not connected to a provider. Does anyone out there have an non activated android phone we could test this agianst? I am trying to keep a positive attitude until I get one in my hands, but it just keeps getting worse. I will not settle on a phone it must do what i want.

Last edited:

Archerdude

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Just talked to my Verizon rep who happens to be the only person at their location that got a fascinate. Quietly stated to me they deleted the bing widget right from the get go. Downloaded Google maps and said navigation worked like a charm. It came preloaded with a 16gig card. And its running Android 2.1. They haven't heard anything about when 2.2 will be available OTA. Other than that they stated it felt solid, Light in weight, fast, had better battery life than the incredible and has the best screen they have ever seen on a phone. (most of this we already know)
We are going to give it a try and order one on Wednesday. Let's hope I don't have to use Verizon's return policy.

Last edited:

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
What about Google maps integration? I saw a video where you could not launch the google voice recognition to say navigate to Starbucks. Is this just a matter of installing Google Maps and that should not be an issue?

I also read there was a gps fix on xda. Is this pretty easy and is root required?

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
With any luck, once you've installed Google Maps, the next time you click on the search result that returns an address (Bing or otherwise), you should be prompted to set Google Nav as the default app from that point forward. In regards to the GPS issues seen on other Galaxy S phones, I posted this question in the comments section of the donthatethegeek review, and here is the answer I got:

FascinateGPS.jpg

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
I have read that with root you should be able to remove bing and load google but does that mean it will work as we all want it to? Have there been cases where you can change default applications?

I guess with a ROM is should be doable if we are not able to do it from the everday users perspective?

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Ok good makes me comfortable with trying to get this. i depend on maps quite a bit when i have to travel because im new to the Chicago area. Google maps with navigation is a life saver

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I have read that with root you should be able to remove bing and load google but does that mean it will work as we all want it to? Have there been cases where you can change default applications?

I guess with a ROM is should be doable if we are not able to do it from the everday users perspective?

I can think of 2 good examples:

1) If you install Handcent (an SMS replacement app), the next time you click on the send SMS option in the contact list, you will be prompted if you want to use the built in messaging app or Handcent. You are also given the option to set one of them as the default.

2) The same is true with launcher applications.

There are other examples (like media apps), but those are 2 examples. I'm under the assumption that after you install Google Maps and Nav, you will be given an opportunity to do the same thing.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Just out of curiousity, regarding GPS performance on the Fascinate: On the Engadget Epic 4G review, they mentioned that Samsung told Engadget this:

"Google is now requiring that the "use wireless networks" setting for location-based services be turned off by default in Android devices -- in other words, no AGPS unless you manually enable it. Sure enough, we went into Settings, found that it was disabled on the Epic, turned it on, and we were good to go."

I wonder if all the reviewers are actually turning on AGPS before testing GPS performance...

naplesbill

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
It is the same as the Captivate. It also seems to work fine at first. Just wait a few days or a week and you will likely see complaints on GPS performance come pouring in. I think 2.2 is the only hope on this getting fixed. If I am wrong then great for everyone with a SGS device.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie