What does 2GB internal memory mean?

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Okay, here is another noob question on my mind. Please don't kill me if it is a duh question.

Among other "tweaks" that Verizon has been slammed for regarding their version of Samsung Galaxy S, 2GB internal memory is one. I do not fully grasp the significance of the lowering of internal memory (compared to that on Vibrant and Captivate). What does it really mean? Does this have any negative impact on the device's performance?

Sabban

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
no, the 2 gig internal storage is for just that, storage. apps, pictures, videos etc, then you can use an micro-SD memory card to store even more stuff

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
no, the 2 gig internal storage is for just that, storage. apps, pictures, videos etc, then you can use an micro-SD memory card to store even more stuff

Are you certain? It's for apps, as well as videos, pics? Interesting. There is another thread I started about this here, Note the screen shot as well, referring to the 1.55 GB as "Program" storage. Seems like app memory to me, but I guess we will know Thursday:

fascinate-ram1.png

Sabban

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Are you certain? It's for apps, as well as videos, pics? Interesting. There is another thread I started about this here, Note the screen shot as well, referring to the 1.55 GB as "Program" storage. Seems like app memory to me, but I guess we will know Thursday:

Good point, we will have to check that out come thursday. you would think since it is "storage" space that it was include it all but as the screen shot shows, its possible it may not. wouldn't make sense for it not to include that though

Last edited by a moderator:

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
well you have to think they have to partition the memory for system\rom, app, and personal data so it looks about right

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I personally want more app storage space, and with the SD card avail for vids/photos, I would love for that to mean 1.5GB for apps (not that I need that much :)

jokerls240

Nov 10, 2009
www.facebook.com
There's a difference between "memory" and "storage". Think of it in computer terms. "Storage" is the space on the hard drive, and "memory" is the amount of RAM the computer has. Storage is more permanent than memory.

With a smartphone, like the Fascinate, "internal memory" tends to be a misnomer made by the marketing department. This is actually referring to the internal storage available to be used for app data (program files), pictures, music, video, etc. (See screenshot above). Basically the same things you put on your computer's hard drive (C:\ or other drive). This storage is generally used if no SD card is included or added to the phone.

The RAM or memory is used by Android OS and running apps when the phone is powered on. RAM is only used by an application when it is running. When the app is closed (and is not intended to run in the background), it will no longer use RAM, making more available for other apps and services. This is what started the task killer debate originally, but that's an entirely different can of worms.

In the case of the Fascinate, the "internal memory" is actually flash memory (like a thumb drive or SD card) and has some of the 2GB dedicated to be used as system storage that is inaccessible unless the phone has been rooted (yet another can o' worms).

Hope this clarifies things or at least confuses someone... j/k! :p

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC