Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default google search found using launcher pro

title says it all. I found the google search widget when using launcher pro. Problem solved.
    Banned

Global Posts
    263 Global Posts

but does the widget actually use google to search, or bing. I'm betting it uses bing.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Yeah, that's what Phil found anyway.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by durangojim View Post
    but does the widget actually use google to search, or bing. I'm betting it uses bing.
    it uses google. takes you to googles webpage with search results.

Quote Originally Posted by gspeed View Post
    it uses google. takes you to googles webpage with search results.

Not on mine it doesn't.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by namebrandon View Post
    Not on mine it doesn't.
    are you using the google search widget?

are you using the google search widget?

Yes, are you?

It gets redirected to some vzwapp... blah blah site, and the results are from Bing, not Google.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

i did a google search for the proverbial 'your mom' using the search widget.

It takes me directly to google mobile webpage with the result set.

In fact I get real time search results as well.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

gspeed: did you download the search widget from the market before you added it to your homescreen, or did you just open up LP, and install it from there?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

did not install anything.was going to try and sideload or play with settings later.

I installed launcher pro immediately. When I started adding widgets I notcied google search was in the list.

I added the widget and it works perfectly. Even has a voice button on the widget.

The hardware search button is still preconfigured for bing.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

in fact, google search is not viewable in the market.

did not install anything.was going to try and sideload or play with settings later.

I installed launcher pro immediately. When I started adding widgets I notcied google search was in the list.

I added the widget and it works perfectly. Even has a voice button on the widget.
    I've done exactly this, and I still get bing results, via the verizon page. Strange.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by namebrandon View Post
    I've done exactly this, and I still get bing results, via the verizon page. Strange.
    very strange indeed, mine works just as it should.I only have one fascinate so I can't replicate the process again to see if there was anything extra I did.

Maybe someone else can try this method to see if it works out for them.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Does the Bing search widget show up in the applications list in settings? If so, is there an option to clear defaults?
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    Does the Bing search widget show up in the applications list in settings? If so, is there an option to clear defaults?
    I can see Bing in the app list in settings. The clear default is greyed out. Wonder what would happen if you rooted and removed bing altogether. Looks like MS and verizon did some behind the scenes work to make bing the only search visible to end users.

I'm not arguing over the phone but wouldn't this be unfair monopolistic practice.

I can understand Bing preinstalled but this stinks of shutting out the competition by removing Google search from being viewed or used on android phone.

ROM
    GummyNex 0.3.8

I tried it too.... rerouted me to Bing! Just like Phil showed on his video.

I'm not really concerned, shortcut to google.com, and it's the same for the most part. Someone who cares enough will fix it eventually. For now I'm just happy with my Google maps/nav.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by prakash99 View Post
    I tried it too.... rerouted me to Bing! Just like Phil showed on his video.
    guess I'm just going to have to post video at some point to prove this is a reality.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

guess I'm just going to have to post video at some point to prove this is a reality.
    Lol, yes please
    F34RTEHDR01D

Global Posts
    544 Global Posts

yeah, adding google search widget via LP still gets me Bing/Verizon results. This is the free version of LP. Wonder if the paid version is different?
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

i also have free version of lp. Will post vid once I get another cam.

I've got the paid version of LP and it still defaults to Bing searches after you've entered your query.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

I got it.

You need to use dolphin hd browser.

I reset dolphin hd default in settings. I then did another search using widget. This time I noticed it gave 2 options to perform search(Google and dolphin hd). Select dolphin hd from this list.

The way it is constructed it is set to use the default broswer which redirects to bing.

If you install dolphin hd, or any browser I think, this redirect will not occur.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

You need to use dolphin hd browser.
    While not a solution for everyone, it definitely is for me because Dolphin HD is my browser of choice anyway.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    While not a solution for everyone, it definitely is for me because Dolphin HD is my browser of choice anyway.
    it is a solution though.

Didn't realize it was the solution either. Even before looking to get google search working, I installed dolphin hd and launcher pro. Will likely be a reoccurring theme to any device I may switch to.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast