Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Voice Quality

Wondering what are the thoughts on voice quality. I know when I have made some phone calls (not speaker) I can hear a slight echo of my own voice.

Anyone else?? It gets kind of annoying a little....Not sure if it software or hardware. I am hoping software..

ROM
    Stock Rooted 4.0.4

Both calls I have made using my VWs BT setup sounded great. Calls without that, I did not notice anything like and echo though.
    Banned

Global Posts
    263 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by storm6610 View Post
    Wondering what are the thoughts on voice quality. I know when I have made some phone calls (not speaker) I can hear a slight echo of my own voice.

Anyone else?? It gets kind of annoying a little....Not sure if it software or hardware. I am hoping software..
    I noticed this as well and it's a bit annoying.

There is a definite echo and "tinniness" that rebounds from my voice on this phone..I especially notice it when I am outdoors...
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I am very surprised there is not more people complaining about this. I don't know that it is a "deal breaker" but coming from the X where IMO sound quality of the phone was very good, this is annoying.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

I would exchange it. Every new phone that comes out, as far back as I can remember, there always seems to be a small percentage of that have this problem.

I haven't noticed any call quality issues myself and no complaints from callers either.
    Sounds just as good as my OG Droid.

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

One reason I got the Fascinate was to fix the voice quality issue with my Incredible. Of the 2, the Fascinate is better in terms of hearing everything the caller says, but with a little more background noise. The Incredible seemed to have it's noise cancellation set a little too tight to the point of chopping off last and first syllables of the caller. If it was better, I would have kept it...

I'm getting a really bad echo of my voice, ambient noise, wind, car on the road (with windows up). My voice sounds very tinny when it echo's back. As cool as this phone is - it is a phone first and foremost. Going to a Verizon store today, this will not work.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I would "exchange" it if I thought it was a manufacturing defect..however I am confused..because there seems to be a bunch more that 'complain' about the same issue.

So I don't know if it is an issue or not.........I may call VZW tech support and ask..but its 50/50 whether u get someone who knows what they are talking about or someone who makes u feel like you are the only person on the planet who has this issue.

To be specific, when I am on a call, I can hear a little / slight echo of my own voice come back through the ear piece. It is slight..but enough that it gets annoying....

ROM
    Community Rom 2.0

Ive only done one call thru the fascinate itself and call quality was good, ive got my samsung bt paired now so I use it. I must say the sound quality paired with the fascinate is alot better then with my former BB tour

I will monitor this complaint, however the calls I have made so far...only a couple have been fine and no echo.

That said...I did have a Samsung i730 smart phone way back when...and it had that echo - drove me nuts! So I don;t know if this is a Sammy thing?

I did test my old BB Curve 8330 yesterday for signal levels (put phones in exact same (poor reception) area. The BB read 94 - 110 - 87 Dbm - the fascinate reads 96 Dbm. It did pop over 100 Dbm a couple times, but I forgot to write down values. However the Sammy never got better than 96 (not near as good as the BB.)

Coming from a Network Implementaion background and currently a contractor expanding HSDPA / LTE networks, I can say you were having network issues, NOT device issues. Just and FYI.

BT

Check to make sure you aren't getting a small amount of feedback loop from the earpiece by slightly turning down the earpiece volume while in a call.

I can't say for certain this is what's happening on the Fascinate, but I did have a cell phone a while ago that would echo if the call volume was above a certain point. Never hurts to try it.

ROM
    Stock Rooted 4.0.4

I did notice some issues today calling a buddy of mine indoors. Im also having some performance issues to.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Ivisi hit the nail on the head...

First call I made to VZW tech support was a dud .. the tech new nothing and lost me in transition to get a "replacement" phone.

Called back, and got a lady who was very willing to help..we made a couple test calls and I noticed the "reverb" for lack of a better term..little bit of my echo..

Then she said, "Check your handset volume, these phones are VERY sensitive and the mic might actually be picking up the earpiece volume."

So I did, and it was full blast..and I turned it down a little and shazam it nearly disappeared.

She did say that Samsung is indicating (who knows if this is true, but I thought I read a post on some forum where Samsung had tweeted this) that they are going to be releasing a software tweek to address some issues.

So who knows..but for those of you who are noticing this issue, try this "fix" and see if it works for you.

ROM
    Stock Rooted 4.0.4

I have started to notice mine doing this also. After some of the issues I have had Im going to be exchanging mine in the AM.

Ditto the phone echo on my end. It is exactly as reported. Just barely a hint of "tinniness" or "reverb" on my end when I place a phone call. I played with the in call volume and I'm not sure it really made much of a difference. This isn't a deal breaker for me, and its slight enough that I imagine I'll get used to it over time.

Global Posts
    610 Global Posts

I'm having the exact same issues to especially outdoors or driving down the road. If I'm in a slight breeze it comes through the speaker along with a slight sound of my own voice. I also had somebody complain that they couldn't hear me and sounded far away when driving down the road. I went to the store and tried to exchange it but of course they couldn't replicate the problem. This issue along with button lights going out early is going to push me over the edge to return it I'm thinking. I'll give it a few more days.

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

Default reverb

I hate to say it but I'm also having the same problem. My own voice seems to reverb through the ear piece and its driving me nuts. Afraid a repalacement will do the same thing but I love the phone!

Has anyone tried calling samsung?
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

For those of you complaining about this, have to tried lowering the volume slightly as Ivisi and Storm6610 have suggested?

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    For those of you complaining about this, have to tried lowering the volume slightly as Ivisi and Storm6610 have suggested?
    My phone is having this issue aswell it is seldom and I agree lowering the volume does fix it right away. Although this is kind of a pain in my ***, because I have crap hearing, I have decided to make the long hated transition to using a bluetooth. Not only correct the issue but to make it easier to talk and drive. Also I do remember reading something in the vibrant or captivate forums over the past few months that they had a mic issue as well but I do not know if it was fixed.
    Google Plus+
    Current Devices: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 - Samsung Charge

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

Default Please call Verizon if your having this problem

Just got back from Verizon, and of course they weren't able to duplicate the problem. I figured as I was in my 30 day exchange window I could just exchange it for a new one by eating the $35 re-stocking fee, but I was told no. They said that was only possible if I switched to a completely new type of device. Well I want the fascinate so I guess i'll hold onto it until Verizon realizes its might be a hardware/software problem. The manager also said that if a technical service bulletin is released then they could have just done the exchange without me having to pay the re-stocking fee.

For everyone else who is having this problem, please call into Verizon so that they no its a problem and hopefully address it.......

Quote Originally Posted by jessie02 View Post
    Just got back from Verizon, and of course they weren't able to duplicate the problem. I figured as I was in my 30 day exchange window I could just exchange it for a new one by eating the $35 re-stocking fee, but I was told no. They said that was only possible if I switched to a completely new type of device. Well I want the fascinate so I guess i'll hold onto it until Verizon realizes its might be a hardware/software problem. The manager also said that if a technical service bulletin is released then they could have just done the exchange without me having to pay the re-stocking fee.

For everyone else who is having this problem, please call into Verizon so that they no its a problem and hopefully address it.......
    I do not believe that an exchange will fix the problem, I am sorry your verizon reps didn't want to do their job but call this number they will exchange your devices just tell them its stuck in a boot loop or that ou are having problems hearing people. 1.866.406.5154
    Google Plus+
    Current Devices: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 - Samsung Charge

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dirrk View Post
    I do not believe that an exchange will fix the problem, I am sorry your verizon reps didn't want to do their job but call this number they will exchange your devices just tell them its stuck in a boot loop or that ou are having problems hearing people. 1.866.406.5154

I have to say I agree with you on the exchange, a new one will probably do the same.... The phone's only 4 days old so i'll just make sure I stay within my 30 day window and see if Verizon comes up with something....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast