Google Voice Search app can be used...

hanano17

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
...you don't need Vlingo. I downloaded Google Maps, and a Voice Search app popped up. It's Google's voice search. I put it on my home screen, and just use that to search or use the navigation, as they both just go through Google search and/or maps. If it doesn't appear in your app list, try changing the view to list view and back (or rebooting). If you don't want to root, just delete the Bing widget, toss the Voice Search app on one of the screens and move on (the only thing affected at that point that you would notice is the search soft key, which I never use).

It is talked about a bit here:
My first impressions of the phone - Android Forums

Not sure if any of this was mentioned already, but I didn't see it...

ange

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
oh, but it can!

Mine switched over. you need the enhanced google search provider found in another galaxy s's dump. I got mine from the vibrant's.

install it and it switched over, otherwise, you can configure defaults. :D

i uploaded it here.

now...my complaint is the google widget. I can't get that up. :(

oldAGE

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I loaded the .apk and can find it in App Manager, shows installed but it does not show up in my Applications nor does it magically default for the search function.

What am I missing? I know it can't be that easy but....

AchelRay09

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to say that this is the only answer I've found to getting Google to work as default without using voice. Downloaded and installed the .apk file and now Google search is default for the widget on my Galaxy S. Thank you so much for your help, hopefully more people can find this information and end their frustration!

emptycube

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
My non-rooted phone has the Google widget and uses google search when using the Search button.

But there are caveats. Using either method for an initial search uses google but if I do any navigating in the browser it reverts to bing. Also, when I use the Google widget, it will appear to 'attach' itself to the top of the screen even though the touchscreen doesn't register it there (i.e. it no worky anymore) but pressing the HOME key almost always fixes that.

chowdrya

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
oh, but it can!

Mine switched over. you need the enhanced google search provider found in another galaxy s's dump. I got mine from the vibrant's.

install it and it switched over, otherwise, you can configure defaults. :D

i uploaded it here.

now...my complaint is the google widget. I can't get that up. :(
How does one change the defaults on a rooted fascinate so that the search button defaults to Google and not Bing. I do not want to move away from Samsung stock browser.

bmidd

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Good question, I just rooted after the update and when I hit the little search button on the bottom right it brings up Bing still!

Dan2

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same problem as oldAGE. It shows it is installed but is not listed in applications and Bing is still the default search. I deinstalled and reinstalled and nothing changed. Any ideas?

ilander4200

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm having a little trouble successfully having the Google search icon appear in either my application list or able to create a shortcut. I have sucessfully downloaded the .apk file, copied it to my sd card and installed it using launcherpro. Please help me find it in the phone so I can put a shortcut to it in the application list and on my home screen. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21