Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Voice Search app can be used...

...you don't need Vlingo. I downloaded Google Maps, and a Voice Search app popped up. It's Google's voice search. I put it on my home screen, and just use that to search or use the navigation, as they both just go through Google search and/or maps. If it doesn't appear in your app list, try changing the view to list view and back (or rebooting). If you don't want to root, just delete the Bing widget, toss the Voice Search app on one of the screens and move on (the only thing affected at that point that you would notice is the search soft key, which I never use).

It is talked about a bit here:
    My first impressions of the phone - Android Forums

Not sure if any of this was mentioned already, but I didn't see it...
    Banned

Global Posts
    263 Global Posts

Yep, I've noticed this as well. Still wish the hard search button could be remapped to Google Voice search instead of bing though, but oh well.

oh, but it can!

Mine switched over. you need the enhanced google search provider found in another galaxy s's dump. I got mine from the vibrant's.

install it and it switched over, otherwise, you can configure defaults.

i uploaded it here.

now...my complaint is the google widget. I can't get that up.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Global Posts
    173 Global Posts

I loaded the .apk and can find it in App Manager, shows installed but it does not show up in my Applications nor does it magically default for the search function.

What am I missing? I know it can't be that easy but....

where do i put the EnhancedGoogleSearchProvider.apk file?

I deleted my Bing.apk file but need it now to get google search. Does anyone have a link to download the file??
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackbmw84 View Post
    I deleted my Bing.apk file but need it now to get google search. Does anyone have a link to download the file??
    Here you go.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Thanked by 2:

Will random launcher work for new apk file.

Just wanted to say that this is the only answer I've found to getting Google to work as default without using voice. Downloaded and installed the .apk file and now Google search is default for the widget on my Galaxy S. Thank you so much for your help, hopefully more people can find this information and end their frustration!

My non-rooted phone has the Google widget and uses google search when using the Search button.

But there are caveats. Using either method for an initial search uses google but if I do any navigating in the browser it reverts to bing. Also, when I use the Google widget, it will appear to 'attach' itself to the top of the screen even though the touchscreen doesn't register it there (i.e. it no worky anymore) but pressing the HOME key almost always fixes that.

Quote Originally Posted by ange View Post
    oh, but it can!

Mine switched over. you need the enhanced google search provider found in another galaxy s's dump. I got mine from the vibrant's.

install it and it switched over, otherwise, you can configure defaults.

i uploaded it here.

now...my complaint is the google widget. I can't get that up.
    How does one change the defaults on a rooted fascinate so that the search button defaults to Google and not Bing. I do not want to move away from Samsung stock browser.

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

Good question, I just rooted after the update and when I hit the little search button on the bottom right it brings up Bing still!

I'm having the same problem as oldAGE. It shows it is installed but is not listed in applications and Bing is still the default search. I deinstalled and reinstalled and nothing changed. Any ideas?

I'm having a little trouble successfully having the Google search icon appear in either my application list or able to create a shortcut. I have sucessfully downloaded the .apk file, copied it to my sd card and installed it using launcherpro. Please help me find it in the phone so I can put a shortcut to it in the application list and on my home screen. Thanks

Thanks

thank you!

Default Thanks

This helped alot

You can run launcher Pro and install the Google search widget....works great.
    Samsung Fascinate - Launcher Pro
    Samsung Fascinate - TouchWiz 3.0
    HTC Droid Incredible - Sense
    Motorola Droid X - Gingerbread 2.3

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    Here you go.
    Cool

first post

thnx for the great information

I'm sorry, but I just really want to download that enhanced google attachment and it says I can't until I post 1 thing, so here's my one post.
    Best,
    Tim
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast