Silent ringtone

rgm1266

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Can you assign a contact a silent ringtone? Or can you create a ringtone then assign it to the contact?

Any info would be appreciated!!
Thanks

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
Ok, I installed Ringo Lite from the app market, and it let me choose the silent ringtone, and it stuck. So that's how I'm doing it from now on. Sorry it's not more simple.

Actually, it looks like it may come with a "Silent" ringtone, so just download Ringo Lite first, and see what happens.

Last edited:

rgm1266

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I downloaded Ringo Lite, but I couldn't find the silent ringtone in the list. Did you see it in the list of ringtones from the pull down menu when you were assinging the tone to a contact?

Thanks

rgm1266

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
My bad. Now I understand. The file that you want me to download, place it in the locationyou listed then install the app.

I was looking for the location you wanted me to place the file (/sdcard/Music/ringtones/), that directory is not listed on my SD card. Am I looking in the right place? Connect the phone to the computer and windows explorer to the sd card and I should find the directories right?

Thanks

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
No problem man, glad it's working, I know that was driving me crazy. You can also send contacts directly to voicemail if you'd like, not sure if that's useful for ya.

rgm1266

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
yeah. I saw that. It's a pretty sweet app.

This is my first droid phone and I like it. Try to figue out the diff between Launcher Pro. The only problem I see with this phone is the batter. No too good. It was either the Dinc or Fascinate. Which one do you like?

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Download this file, extract the .ogg file and save it to /sdcard/Music/ringtones/

reboot your phone, you can now choose it as your ringtone.

Just to be clear, is this an OGG file that makes no sound when you play it? If so, I want to use it to replace those stupid boot up, boot down, and service lost tones. They drive me nuts.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for letting me know. I think I'll chop about 9 seconds of that off. On the Epic I renamed those files and ended up bricking it. Not making that mistake twice.

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
Thanks for letting me know. I think I'll chop about 9 seconds of that off. On the Epic I renamed those files and ended up bricking it. Not making that mistake twice.

Yeah, that's probably best. I was just lazy.. Had it been 3 minutes of silence, I would've done something, but for a ringtone I didn't think 10 seconds was too crazy.

Yikes. Bricked by a ringtone? Who would've thought.. I blame Sprint. ;)

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site

Hope it was a soft brick!

I couldn't get custom_silent.ogg to work in the music folder of my rooted Samsung Galaxy S2 E4GT; when I tried to go to that folder to pick the .ogg file, the contacts app crashed. In spite of the fact my phone is rooted, I've often found I'm not allowed to modify or replace files in the /system area, so I was pleasantly surprised to find I was able to paste custom_silent.ogg into /system/media/audio/ringtones/.

When editing a contact, I thought at first something was wrong because I didn't see "custom_silent.ogg" in the list of ringtones--it comes up as simply "Silent" in the list. Once I figured that out, it worked perfectly.