Advice: To Root Or Not To Root?

928SC

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I have 20-25 preloaded apps that I know I will never use and would like to delete. I assume that rooting is the only way to delete them, but what do you lose (other than voiding you Verizon warranty)?

Are the 7 widget screens Touchwiz, or is some of that Android? If you root the phone will you lose the 7 widget screens? In other words, of what we are looking at, what is Touchwiz and what it Android?

Is there a way to go back to factory settings after you root, say for warranty work?

When Froyo drops, will we be able to upgrade to with a rooted phone, or would you have to reset to factory to update, and then root again?

School us x-BB users. Thanks for the advice.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
rooting will allow you to get rid of those apps
You won't lose touch wiz
Root then make a backup before you get rid of the apps so if you want to unroot load the backup then follow the unroot instructions
As far as froyo must likely yes but if you load the stock update you may lose root

Last edited:

928SC

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for the info.

I think I will wait for 2.2 to drop, then root. That will give me more time to get familiar with the phone and finish reading the 150+ page user manual.

briang00

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
So quick question..I understand that if you root, you Void Verizons warranty. Can you unroot? Also if you are rooted, and the phone breaks or whatever and you make a Asurion claim, is it still covered? I took the plunge and ordered my Fascinate and should be here tomorrow. Going from BB S2 to this..and away we go.

irkin1

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
Can some one please explain what are the advantage of rooting? besides getting Google toolbar and getting rid of other apps? Can i get 2.2 now?

rebel2010

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
There are no roms available yet, but once we have a recovery, we will see many roms. Developers will port 2.2 and also make kernels that would allow overclocking. There are also many apps that can be used which require a root. Benefits are endless.

I am waiting for a recovery before rooting. I know that if I do root right now, I will be tempted to mess things up. :D

jwebste9

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
So once a recovery is made. We can always load that recovery and it will put everything back to stock correct? That's what I was holding out for invade once I root I screw something up lol

Fyrmedic654

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
so, how do we make a backup in case we mess something up? I was trolling thru and saw this thread, figured I would ask. Became a whiz a doing all the blackberry os stuff, but am nervous on my new phone.