A short GPS primer

Martian

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I've had several years of work experience with GPS and would like to share a few things that will hopefully clear up some confusion about the Fascinate's GPS.

GPS satellites orbit the earth in a 12 hour orbit which places them at roughly half the distance from earth of Geosynchronous satellites (which are in a 24-hour orbit so as to stay in a fixed location relative to Earth).

This orbit is much higher than satellites in what is called Low Earth Orbit (LEO)

GPS operates in two frequency bands L1 (1.57542 GHz) and L2 (1.2276 GHz). Dual frequency are used in order to compensate for RF propagation effects of the Troposhere however the L2 band is not available to civilian GPS devices (only the L1 band)

GPS Frequencies have very poor propagation characteristics though solids (in other words they are easily blocked by buildings, trees, etc...)

A lock on a minimum of four satellites is required to obtain PVT (Position, Velocity, Time) data (aka "a fix")

A GPS device only uses GPS satellites where as an aGPS device (assisted GPS) uses additional means, such as cellular, radio, wifi signals for determining location.

***Cold starting of a GPS (not aGPS) device can take up to 12 minutes to obtain a "fix" and begin providing PVT data. Once the device begins receiving this data it sores the data as an almanac. Restarting the GPS chip is then considered a "warm start" as it can use the almanac data as a starting point toward obtaining a "fix". This GREATLY reduces lock time and in most cases will be less than 30 seconds unless the device is more than ~50 miles from the last almanac data point. This is why the very first lock takes forever!

Obtaining a "lock" indoors is virtually impossible without assisted GPS.

Please forgive me for not siting my sources for this information. This is basically my experience with Commercial GPS, it's not gospel. I hope it's helpful to someone. Please take it for what it is worth.

Martian

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
Thanks Martian!

A lot of people's first experience with GPS was with a cell phone, so I think they tend to associate GPS receivers with them. It can give the impression that since the cell phone works (almost) anywhere, so should the GPS.

Most of us who used a GPS receiver long before they were put into cell phones (and even before selective availability was discontinued!) know that it's ridiculous to test a GPS indoors. Even pointing out of a standard home window is asking for trouble.

Last edited:

theoneuafter

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Great read. I just responded to another thread about gps not locking fast. I said that I turn on my gps a few mins before I actually need it.
Does that actually help lock faster when I turn on my navigation?
I feel like it does. I turn on my gps as im leaving the house, get in the car, seatbelt, start engine,then navigation.
Does this actually make a difference?

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
Great read. I just responded to another thread about gps not locking fast. I said that I turn on my gps a few mins before I actually need it.
Does that actually help lock faster when I turn on my navigation?
I feel like it does. I turn on my gps as im leaving the house, get in the car, seatbelt, start engine,then navigation.
Does this actually make a difference?

Absolutely. It's not an instant-on technology. Just a minute or two will help quite a bit.

oldAGE

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Well, I'll tell you this... I have Garmins (PC and Nuvi), TomTom (510), Blackberry-Garmin (App on Storm), Motorola Droid X Google Maps NAV and now a Fascinate Google Maps NAV....

Inside my house, running Blackstar on my Storm, I can get a fix in seconds and right next to me is the NUVI without any network connectivity so no aGPS and it matches it with relative (it's a road machine, not a topo device) accuracy.

Now all I would like to do is, inside my house, use my phone.... Ah, a man can dream, can't he? ;)

Destination Moon

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I started leaving my GPS turned on all the time. Just started yesterday so too soon to tell if this is a solution to slow lock. Yesterday (before I started the always on) I was hiking and decided to turn on the gps and GPS Test. Every other time I got a lock (indoors and out) under 3 minutes. After 9 minutes without so much as a single bar, I shut the SF off and rebooted. Got a lock on restart in about 4 minutes. My DINC by comparison gets a lock in less than a minute everytime I turn the GPS on. Made me wonder if its really always running despite the switch being on or off.

Leaving the GPS on does not seem to affect battery life if you are not running a GPS driven app. . It seems to go to sleep but maybe the data is retained instead of being discarded?