newbie trying to learn... root and 2.2

nVmatrix

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I just ordered my Fascinate today and waiting for it to arrive. Started reading up on here since I dont know a whole lot about the Android system. My question is the Fascinate runs v2.1 so if I root it will it effect my ability to upgrade to v2.2?? Seems like rooting awakens the phone to it true potential and I was hoping to learn as much as I could.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Before updating to froyo you will have to return the phone to its original state in order for the ota update to work. Seems to be a simple process to reverse everything though

tbuck

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I just ordered my Fascinate today and waiting for it to arrive. Started reading up on here since I dont know a whole lot about the Android system. My question is the Fascinate runs v2.1 so if I root it will it effect my ability to upgrade to v2.2?? Seems like rooting awakens the phone to it true potential and I was hoping to learn as much as I could.
nVmatrix, I'm still new to the whole rooting thing (coming from iPhone world previously) but... I do know that you would need to root your phone in order to be able to put an unreleased version of 2.2 on your phone but it's my understanding that you would need someone to make a 2.2 ROM for the Fascinate in order to upgrade it... unless you know how to compile the source code from Google or know how to get the ROM from the Nexus One working on the Fascinate...? :) I am a little murky on that part but I know root is the first step if you want 2.2 before Verizon/Samsung releases 2.2 officially.

nVmatrix

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
cool.. thanks guys that clears it up. I might just wait then for the 2.2 update (soon I hope) before I root. I would hate to screw something up by going back and forth without having alot of undrstanding. Will keep reading threads on here and educate myself alittle more. Seems like a great phone from what I have read so far.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel