Upstreammiami

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
i have a DINC planning on getting my lady the Fascinate but i enter this forum and every one is just having issues. is it the phone or are all this guys noobs ?

how do you compare this phone to the Dinc. i saw the F other day and the screen is just amazing

Last edited:

Sabban

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
i haven't had any issue with mine since i got it almost a week ago now. i haven't done anything to the phone short of download a few apps/widgets off the market. i have enjoyed what has been my first android experience with the fascinate.

bwhite757

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
It's like that with every new phone release. The phone doesn't meet people's crazy expectations so they just dog it, or people are Fanboys for other OS's or other manufacturers, so they'll dog this one. The same thing happened with the D1 was released.

You also have to remember that most people that are perfectly content with the phone don't feel the need to voice their opinion as much as the few that may be experiencing some problems (I am guilty of this).

There are also always going to be a few people that get a bum phone. This is the case with any mass produced item in the world.

So far I love my Fascinate. Granted I've rooted, removed the bloat, and have LauncherPro installed, however everything else has been great. Google Navigation works perfect, yes it does take a little longer than my D1 to sync up with the Sats, but once it's synced it hasn't led me astray yet.

It's been my philosophy that if it is possible for me to hands-on try it myself, I'll do that before I take the word of a few nay-sayers on the internet forums... ;)

polecat13

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had any issues either. It's my first Android coming from a Storm, so maybe I'm easily impressed but it's worked great for me so far.

EDIT: It seems like a lot of people used the Storm for their last phone.

Destination Moon

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I like mine too. It has more quirks than I'd like but it also has the best screen and best size of anything out there right now. With luck they respond to the problems and make this thing what it should be!

Archerdude

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
i have a DINC planning on getting my lady the Fascinate but i enter this forum and every one is just having issues. is it the phone or are all this guys noobs ?

how do you compare this phone to the Dinc. i saw the F other day and the screen is just amazing

You have to remember a few things about forums. Forums post don't make up the majority of owners. A lot of people just come on here to get help to solve their problems. So you're always going to hear the worst of it. A few I would guess less than 5% get on a forum just to say how much they like a device. Now forums are a great place to get help and to get a general idea about a product, but you can't use it to judge a product based on forum post.

With that being said it is an amazing phone that has a lot of capability's and has great potential. There are a few things that we are all hoping get fixed on the next update, but it still is a good phone. Your "lady" I am sure would love the phone and would be happy to have it. I can tell that you may be more critical over what bugs it may or may not have then her. I have purchase 2 of these and my wife loves it. She came from a feature phone to the fascinate and has really enjoyed what the phone can do. It was a big jump for her. I hope this helped and good luck on your next purchase... Remember don't drink the kool-aid....lol

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site
If this thing didn't have a shiny plastic battery cover and had a notification light it would be perfect in my mind. And yes, I've had every other Android phone on Verizon. Form factor and speed are almost perfect.

Spunndaze

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
The only thing on my wish list coming from my BB is LED notifications. Buzzberry was an app that let you customize every aspect of the led indicator you could imagine… indispensable for those sitting in meetings all day long needing to be all stealthy like.

OH and the constant stream of leaked OS updates.. of course they were needed just to make the POS functional.. but fun non the less.

ortie001

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I think I joined this forum last week after getting my Fascinate(1st smart phone for me btw) on release day and rooting it the next day. Yes, I have rooted my very first smart phone and I have no issues other than it having had Bing(a non-issue now).

I have been waiting for this phone for a few months. I'm overall pleased with it, but there are still some key issues with the Galaxy line in general. One of the biggest...navigation and slow updates.

I agree with the OP when he says there seems to be a lot of ppl having noob problems, but they are trying to root. Not sure of the issues they are having as I got mine and my girlfriend's rooted on the first attempt with no issues. We loved the phones when we picked them up and now we are Fascinated with them rooted.

dmaustin

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
If you really want led notification check out the app noled it uses your screen as the led... very cool! I had to restart the phone to start it tho.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

oldAGE

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
It's like that with every new phone release. The phone doesn't meet people's crazy expectations so they just dog it, or people are Fanboys for other OS's or other manufacturers, so they'll dog this one. The same thing happened with the D1 was released.

You also have to remember that most people that are perfectly content with the phone don't feel the need to voice their opinion as much as the few that may be experiencing some problems (I am guilty of this).

There are also always going to be a few people that get a bum phone. This is the case with any mass produced item in the world.

So far I love my Fascinate. Granted I've rooted, removed the bloat, and have LauncherPro installed, however everything else has been great. Google Navigation works perfect, yes it does take a little longer than my D1 to sync up with the Sats, but once it's synced it hasn't led me astray yet.

It's been my philosophy that if it is possible for me to hands-on try it myself, I'll do that before I take the word of a few nay-sayers on the internet forums... ;)

OK cats... Before you ding the "noobs" who have "crazy expectations," I would like to add the following:

Not a noob per se. And before you ding the dingers, here is what should happen and how it should happen:

1) Email - many variants - should work flawlessly and seamlessly for web based, pop3, or imap environments. Not a crazy expectation.

2) Navigation Voice should be just as loud and clear as any other media or phone source. Not a crazy expectation

3) The damned display should always stay lit and available when a call is in session via a headset or bluetooth device without having to constantly push buttons to do, I don't know -- iPhone Killer multi tasking or simply using a damned IVR call director menuing system that does not have voice prompts. Not a crazy expectation.

4) CDMA radio should be robust and function just as well as any other device... like a Motorola Razr or Blackberry Curve/Storm/Tour.... This isn't 2002 any longer. Not a crazy expectation.

5) Can't play a .wav file? Oh for crying out loud! Unsupported file format! What? .wav has been around for damned near 20 years! This is a smart phone? How smart do you have to be to play something that ran on Windows 3.0? Not a crazy expectation - especially since many multi-media network functions still rely on that file format.

So don't doubt that us newer Android users have real gripes and concerns.... My first cell phone was an OKI in 1983. Oh, and I worked for the company - it was called NYNEX (it's now called Verizon.... ;) )

To the OP, we just need some time for some maintenance updates and we hope to be patient for them. Otherwise, the form factor for me hit's the sweet spot. I am sticking with it as long as it remains reliable and fixes do come.
Last edited:

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm Android noob coming from WinMo with cooked roms. Learning curve has been steep due to having to unlearn WinMo. The Fascinate is the first phone I have had from Verizon that I could clearly see the screen when outdoors in sunlight. Call quality is superb for me. And the google Nav is almost the equal of my standalone GPS. I have not rooted yet. I got rid of bing another way and am quite happy with the change. I want to wait and see what FroYo brings and get used to that before I go ahead and root. I know in my heart that I eventually will. Just could not resist the cooked roms in WinMo that made those phones truly amazing. So I'll wait for 1-click root and some juicy delicious gourmet Roms. It was just time to move on to Android and Verizon had nothing I really liked until this. Now if the damn case I ordered would just get here!----

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
My wife loves her Fascinate, had an HTC Eris. I think your wife might miss Sense, TouchWiz isn't in the same league as Sense. Most have gone with Launcher Pro or ADW launchers from the market though.

I returned my Fascinate today for an X. I have a Droid 1 and I found the Fascinate slightly lacking in the signal strength reception department (live and work in a poor signal area) .

My wife likes the perfect form factor and gorgeous samoled screen on the Fascinate.

molinap1

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
My wife just got a fascinate (switched from a bb tour). She is new to android and loves it. No problems with her phone. Unless it's a defective phone, she will enjoy the phone.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

hanano17

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I had a Dinc...I love the Fascinate way more. I don't have any real complaints. Might have found a phone I will actually keep more than 3 months :)

noobdroid

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Well I don't know how tech savvy your girl is but my wife is not and she came from a normal cell phone for a lack of better words and she loves this phone as is.Me on the other hand rooted and de-binged my phone without any major issues.its a great phone.

Fyrmedic654

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site

I like my fascinate, came from the BB storm2. My only issue is that my earpiece speaker is very quiet. Most likely something that the next update will fix or replacing it through verizon. Not too big a deal in my eyes since I use bluetooth a lot. At first I thought I wasn't going to be happy with it sure to my heavy want for the X, but I am starting to love it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781