1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How-to/Steps to Customize for a newbie

I think I've searched high and low in the forums but I can't figure it out.

I just got the fascinate and I am running the free version of Launcher Pro. I deleted all the widgets from the TW screen. And I have beautiful widgets.

1. How do I change the icons in the main dock (phone, contact, app, msging, browser). Do they have to stay the same? Can I change the way they look as well as what I want there? When I add things to the scrollable dock, they are colored but the main five are not. Also, when I touch the contact icon, it says it is unable to work. Is this normal?

2. Root: Should I root my phone and if so, how do I backup what I already have (Launcher Pro, Beautiful Widgets, and all the other apps)? What are the pros/cons to rooting?

Thanks!!!

Default Re: How-to/Steps to Customize for a newbie

Just press and hold the icon you want to change. You can add whatever app/shortcut you want and change the icon.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

i am able to change the shortcut but i can't change the icon.

when i press and hold say the phone icon, i get 3 choices: change shortcut, change icon, and swipe gesture action. touching "change icon" gives me 2 choices: launcherPro icons and custom icons. There isn't anything in either option.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Something is wrong then. You might try uninstalling and reinstalling LP. Checkout for LP icons.

Rooting lets you run many of the apps shown , and get rid of bloatware.
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Ok i figured it out. The LauncherPro icons are gray and white right?
    I thought that if I clicked on one of those, there would be more options in color.

Does anyone know how to put the + sign back where the icon was. I didn't want that icon there and now it's blank.

Thanks!

If color variations is what you are looking for, check out my app at bit.ly/LPiOnAppBrain.

Droid-life just posted a blog post about it here:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

First, thank you for helping this newbie. =D
    I haven't rooted yet. I still need to back-up everything I downloaded and I don't know how to do that yet.

So I found some icons online that I would like to use on my Fascinate.
    Could I do this by just creating a folder on my miniSD and naming it Icons? Or do I have to have a specific app (Better Cut) to do this?

Thanks again!

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

IIRC, the icons on the dock can be changes to the icons on the phone above the dock by changing the shortcut. It took me awhile to figure out how to put the contacts and GMAIL icons on the bottom....

ROM
    JBSourcery 2.4/ Franco 6

Quote Originally Posted by jonfhancock View Post
    If color variations is what you are looking for, check out my app at bit.ly/LPiOnAppBrain.
    [/url]
    OK, I went to the web site but I did not see any color variations for the icons. They were all gray. I have the app to download but don't see the color icons.