1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default To get the fascinate or not...

I have been researching for weeks on what phone to get, and as i am 3 days away from upgrading.. I am still unsure. It seems like the two best choices for me would be the droid x or the samsung fascinate. While both have their ups and downs... i just cant decide!

I plan on using phone to txt ALOT, use internet ALOT, I like watching youtube. Phone calls obviously, alot of the fitness apps and that stuff. Id also possibly like to put SOME music on it but that is not a necessity. Mostly just normal use...

help me chose why the samsung fascinate is better than the droid X?

Why not go to the store and use them both side by side?

Don't stress yourself out too much, you have a 30-day exchange period.

Both phones are awesome...it's all a matter of your personal preference with the form factor really.

Bigger screen, heavier, thicker, built like a tank...droid x

Slightly smaller screen, light, thin, a little cheap feeling...fascinate

I went with the latter just because of the thin and light part because that was most important to me because I wear dress slacks everyday. They both are essentially the same from a hardware standpoint IMO.

Global Posts
    2,340 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I too went back and forth between the X and the Fascinate. I liked the fact that the Fascinate was thinner, and slipped into my pocket, whereas the X feels a little "rubbery" and stuck going in and out of my pockets. The Fascinate may feel cheap, but it's a well built phone.

In the end, the X was just a little to big for me, so I got the Fascinate. My girlfriend got the X, and I play with it a lot and anxious to see if Froyo makes a difference on it, or better than my SF. I'm still within my 30 days, but 90% sure I'm sticking with the SF.

I REALLY wanted the X. I got the Fascinate because the X looked dull and lifeless when compared next to it. I'm glad I did... the Fascinate is as large as I'd want to go. I can't even imagine what it must be like to hold a dinner plate (the x) up to the side of your head in order to talk into it.

They are very different phones hardware and performance wise as well.

The Galaxy has superior GPU that outputs 55.1 fps using neocore. The droid x only gets scores in the mid 40's.

Also linpack scores for 2.1 versions of the x and the galaxy are similar but the Galaxy scores slightly better.

If that wasn't enough to convince you then lets talk about super amoled display as well as native playback of most all video formats. The x has a tft lcd display which is not as good as smoled. The x also is limited in the video formats it can playback natively.

In the end it really is no contest. The GS wins hands down.

Galaxy benchmarks performed by AC.

Quote Originally Posted by gspeed View Post
    If that wasn't enough to convince you then lets talk about super amoled display as well as native playback of most all video formats. The x has a tft lcd display which is not as good as smoled. The x also is limited in the video formats it can playback natively.
    Ultimately I stuck with the Fascinate, but I completely disagree that the X screen is worse than the Fascinate. I cannot stand the grainy look of text in emails and on webpages nor the oversaturated colors. I mean it's not a bad display at all, but the X is a more neutral color with much crisper text. The Fascinate definitely shines in video and picture viewing just because of the black levels, so I'll give you that...but overall, I prefer the X by a pretty significant margin. I've got both phones sitting on my desk, so I've done quite a few A/B comparisons...not just casually looking at them in a store like most.

I do agree about the video formats but it's really simple to convert file types if need be these days so I certainly wouldn't make that a priority of selecting one device over the other.

Benchmarks on the other hand...you may have a point. But we'll never know for sure until 2.2 comes out for the Fascinate, which could be months.

Sorry, but I don't get the DX is too big remarks . Put the two side by side and without the camera bulge (where almost nobody will hold the phone) the length x width is the same. The DX makes a lot better use of its available surface area in terms of screen size.

In many ways I prefer the DX, but I want to be the superuser of MY phone. I pay a couple of hundred bucks for it and top that off by paying over a thousand bucks over the course of the year for phone and data services.

I wish the Fascinate had a better GPS and phone reception for what I need, but I think I will try the Fascinate first and see what it does in my world. I do prefer the Fascinate screen, but the DX is fine. Besides which since the Captivate just got a GPS update, so maybe the Fascinate is not far behind. One thing that is a big draw to me for the DX is its apparent edge in build robustness (note I didn't say quality as I think the SF is well enough built). I'm a farmer and my phones get exposed to lots of stuff during the course of a day. That can range form irrigation water, mud, grease and oil, or real deal unaltered BS. So, if the SF doesn't work out, I can go DX. However, I'm not in a big rush to get a new phone yet. I may well wind up with my rooted Droid for a while yet, as it has taken my use for a year and still looks and acts new.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    I'm a farmer and my phones get exposed to lots of stuff during the course of a day. That can range form irrigation water, mud, grease and oil, or real deal unaltered BS.
    One counter to that point is that the Fascinate has a lot less openings for dirt/mud/grease/oil/etc. to get in phone. No hardware buttons on the front and one less button on the side (the camera button). So there is that.

ROM
    JBSourcery 2.4/ Franco 6

Smile

I needed a screen that was easier to read and use outdoors. I compared the DX and the Fascinate side-by-side on a sunny day. The Fascinate was the clear winner. Important if you need to use the phone outdoors to dial a number. Also if you want to navigate via pedestrian mode or use one of the many Golf GPS apps that are available.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    I wish the Fascinate had a better GPS and phone reception for what I need,
    I've used the fascinate's GPS in NY as well as on my trip to SF. The GPS has not failed me yet. It's pretty accurate out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by dbdynsty25 View Post
    Ultimately I cannot stand the grainy look of text in emails and on webpages nor the oversaturated colors. I mean it's not a bad display at all, but the X is a more neutral color with much crisper text. The Fascinate definitely shines in video and picture viewing just because of the black levels, so I'll give you that...but overall, I prefer the X by a pretty significant margin. I've got both phones sitting on my desk, so I've done quite a few A/B comparisons...not just casually looking at them in a store like most.
    I don't mind the text blurring that much. If I'm reading webpage I just zoom into an acceptable readable level.

I wouldn't trade in my samoled for 5 droid x's. Actually I would.. I'd sell all 5 droid x's on ebay and repurchase the GS at a profit.

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts

I just spent 2 weeks with the x and fascinate side by side. I went with the X. I like the Fascinate, but the X is better for me. The biggest drawback for me was the AMOLED screen. Putting the two side by side, the X was better with text and its colors were more suited to my taste. Reading both in direct sunlight was the same and the Fascinate produced much better blacks, especially if you use the phone as an alarm clock - it was almost dark compared the the X which lights up the room even when black with just a clock (I use one nightstand) however I like the x screen better. I do like the form factor of the fascinate over the x, but size wise, the x is not that much bigger and for me, the hard home buttons are easier to use on the x versus the fascinates in screen. All in all two good phones but for me, the x was better for my tastes.

Of course your mileage may vary.

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

I am in a similar situation. I just traded my S2 for a moto droid a week or so ago and I love it. Rooted, rommed and overclocked and all is going smoothly. I just found out one of the lines on my family plan is eligible for an upgrade so the question is whether to do the BOGO at VZW and get a fascinate for myself and give the dumb phone to my mother (my mother can barely do internet on computers let alone phones haha). My own upgrade is in may/june- ish so I might be able to get into something sweet by then. The question here is not whether its an upgrade- it obviously is. It is whether I want to spend 200 bucks (given I could probably sell the moto droid for that much) on a new phone when the one I have is working fine.

I must say, I am a bit concerned about VZW's recent attempts to de-google the android phones.

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dbdynsty25 View Post
    Ultimately I stuck with the Fascinate, but I completely disagree that the X screen is worse than the Fascinate. I cannot stand the grainy look of text in emails and on webpages nor the oversaturated colors. I mean it's not a bad display at all, but the X is a more neutral color with much crisper text. The Fascinate definitely shines in video and picture viewing just because of the black levels, so I'll give you that...but overall, I prefer the X by a pretty significant margin. I've got both phones sitting on my desk, so I've done quite a few A/B comparisons...not just casually looking at them in a store like most.

I do agree about the video formats but it's really simple to convert file types if need be these days so I certainly wouldn't make that a priority of selecting one device over the other.

Benchmarks on the other hand...you may have a point. But we'll never know for sure until 2.2 comes out for the Fascinate, which could be months.
    I agree
    Actually, I thought the Samsung screen was awesome for pics and graphics... albeit a bit over saturated. But... side by side with the DX, standard text on the Samsung was like the DX with the brightness almost off. MUCH harder to read.

I have the DX, I wanted the Facinate, I like just about everything about the Samsung... this was the deal breaker