Computer Won't Recognize USB

stormywx

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Anyone have any idea on why my Mac running Snow Leopard is not recognizing my Verizon Fascinate? I have switched between Media sync and Mass storage, restarted both the phone and computer, stood on my head while chewing bubble gum and I am still stumped!!!

dlongb13

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I am right there with you but on a PC. My windows7 comp picks it up fine but my wifes old Windows XP laptop never picks it up. I am going to try installing the Samsung drivers first to fix this as they are installed on my windows7 PC.

KH29

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I was having a problem connecting my phone with my pc (Win XP), so I downloaded the driver that was posted in the "how to root" thread for 32x bit and now it connects like it should.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Sorry I was addressing the MBP question :p

For you, you must install the drivers as suggested above, which is kind of lame if you end up at a PC that's not yours and you want to give someone a file. I frequently travel and need to give customers files and I don't want to have to put drivers on their PC in order to do so.

That didn't work for me.

stormywx

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
yep! installed all the things necessary to do the root, rooted just fine but never did see my device in the finder... I disabled debugging after the root was complete. Still scratching my head....

nerddrew

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I had issues getting my Mac to recognize my SD card on USB as well. The phone would say it's connected, I had mounted the card correctly, but still no dice.
For me the fix was to use a different microUSB cable. I used the one from my storm instead of the samsung cable that came with it. The mac showed the SD card as a drive immediately.
Can't explain that one.

Kurolover35

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I checked debug, downloaded 32bit as stated above from the "how to root" thread, have reseated my microsd card multiple times with usb reconnects, etc......pc(running XP) still doesn't recognize Fascinate. Works instantly with mp3 player and LG Dare(phone I upgraded from).

Any ideas?

stormywx

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Same here brother! The Mac is giving no love to the Fascinate... I can however pull the SD card out and stick it into a card reader with no issues... not very practical though...

jack22182

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I have gotten it to work but it took some fiddling. I can't remember the steps right now but it was a couple of iterations of mounting, unmounting, maybe even disconnect/reconnect. It seemed like the Mac didn't like the unmounted MSD connection at first.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I checked debug, downloaded 32bit as stated above from the "how to root" thread, have reseated my microsd card multiple times with usb reconnects, etc......pc(running XP) still doesn't recognize Fascinate. Works instantly with mp3 player and LG Dare(phone I upgraded from).

Any ideas?

Have you tried a different USB port?

stormywx

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I have gotten it to work but it took some fiddling. I can't remember the steps right now but it was a couple of iterations of mounting, unmounting, maybe even disconnect/reconnect. It seemed like the Mac didn't like the unmounted MSD connection at first.

I will give it a go, just one question though... how do you mount the SD card with out actually taking it out (removing the back cover) and reinstalling it? I found where to unmount it in settings but there is not button to mount it afterward. Thanks for the help!

jack22182

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I will give it a go, just one question though... how do you mount the SD card with out actually taking it out (removing the back cover) and reinstalling it? I found where to unmount it in settings but there is not button to mount it afterward. Thanks for the help!

I restarted the phone (power off, then on with the power switch). I don't know if that's the best way or not but it works.

Jack

Kurolover35

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried a different USB port?

Yes, I have three on my PC and I tried them all. While I was switching them I was also reseating the microsd card, etc.

**Of note: Since I got my Fascinate I would say on average at least once a day my phone beeps saying the SD card was unexpectedly removed, then it quickly says it is back in and scanned/read. This can happen without any shaking or sudden movements of the phone.(But when I was doing all of this to synce my pc with the fascinate I was careful to keep it taught/tight in its slot)

dooby

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
This may not be of much help, but if you've exhausted all options... - could the USB cable be the issue? I noticed that my phone wasn't charging one night (there were no issues prior to that), and brought the charger to a VZW store. It was determined that the USB cable did not connect to my device perfectly and while it worked most of the time, it wasn't in perfect condition. They exchanged it, no questions asked.

joeconejo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
USB Mount

Once your USB cable is connected have you tried looking at the notification bar
on the phone?

Slide it down and see if it says USB connected.

If so, select it and it should bring up a dialog with a choice to Mount or Don't Mount

Select Mount .

That worked for me, hope that helps.

stormywx

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
on the phone?

If so, select it and it should bring up a dialog with a choice to Mount or Don't Mount

Select Mount .

Dude, you rock! That did the trick...

Thanks heaps!

Kurolover35

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
on the phone?

Select Mount .

It does and I did, yet nothing. I tried a new USB cable as well as going into the store to complain that my micro sd card was too loose for a brand new phone and they replaced the phone for me.....still same issues.
I have decided, at least for now, to buy the Sandisk card reader with 2.0 usb on the other end for my keychain to transfer pics, videos, music and files.
Hopefully at some point I can get this working though.

****I do have one more question, anyone else finding their fascinate to have signal strength issues? My LG Dare in my house on my favorite couch works perfectly and bounces between 2 and 3 out of 4 bars.....my fascinate goes from 0-2 typically sitting at 1 on my couch and sometime i get static and dropped calls ???
Do different phones have different levels of ability to draw a signal???

herk2310

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I have windows 7 64 bit on my desktop (AMD processor) and on my laptop (Intel processor). I am not able to link to neither. I downloaded and installed the samsung driver but no luck. I talked with a samsung tech and he got me to link, but I could not repeat the hookup. Per the tech's instruction, I did uncheck usb debugging and then went through some complicated steps of unmounting/mounting the SD, then closing and opening the usb.

I plan to talk with a samsung tech again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699