Got the approval from the wife, there's still a hurdle
Ok, gang, it's time to put our heads together. I took my wife into the Verizon store yesterday to try and convince her of how cool the Fascinate is, and it works. So well, in fact, that she has instructed me to get us a pair of them as soon as possible. The only problem is her line doesn't upgrade until January. I called Verizon last week and they told me they can't move her date up as she is just the secondary line on our family plan. Now, I know there are ways to game the system, I'm hoping somebody here has some experience in getting Verizon, or any phone company, to move an upgrade date forward by 3 months.
Any ideas? I'd love to join the community for real!
- 09-23-2010, 12:20 PM #2
- 09-23-2010, 12:52 PM #4
Secondary lines don't get the date moved. Only the Primary can do an early upgrade at the one year mark. Best you can do is wait till your with in the 30 days of the Upgrade date and try a corporate location. I've seen them approve the upgrade on a secondary line with in 30 days
- 09-23-2010, 01:12 PM #6
- 09-23-2010, 01:16 PM #7
There is always the "add a line" option. If you have a dumb phone laying around, you can add a line to get the deal on the Fascinate, then transfer the dumb phone to the added line asap. Downside... 10 bucks a month to your bill for 2 years. It's sixes...
We both upgraded at the same time. My early upgrade has been available since like May, and the NE2 comes up in January for both of us. Maybe I should get on the horn with them and tell them I'll do whatever it takes with switching lines around just to get it. I joked with them on 1 call that I might open up a 3rd line just to get the phone, and I think they thought I was serious. Maybe I just need to talk to the right person.
- 09-23-2010, 01:28 PM #9
Secondary line should be OK for contract renewal discount if last renewal was 20 months ago. I got that discount from VZW two weeks ago - three phones were out of contract and the fourth expired in December. Depending on dates, you should just about be there.
- 09-23-2010, 01:32 PM #10
- 09-23-2010, 01:39 PM #11
- 173 Posts
Sounds like what you need doesn't make business sense for Verizon.
Your best bet is renewing your primary line and adding an additional line for $9.99/month.
Once it's all billed out, reactivate old equipment on the new number and switch the Fascinate over to your line that wasn't eligible.
Hell, if you don't really need to keep that one number that expires next year, drop it and use the new number you added to buy the Fascinate.
- 09-23-2010, 01:44 PM #12
- 09-23-2010, 02:18 PM #13
Add a line with the Free Fascinate...transfer her old number to a "dumb" phone @ 9.99 a month until the number is out of contract (in May) and then just cancel that line. That way you're only out the ten bucks a month until her old line's contract is up. That's the best way to do it monetarily at this point.
I would go with the option of adding a line and then cancelling it later, but I really don't feel like blowing an extra 240 over the life of the phone just to save money now. I'd end up spending more in the long run when I could just wait.
Sigh, not the answer I was hoping for...
- 09-23-2010, 11:57 PM #16
Just add the extra line for 9.99, the sell the 2 Storms on eBay to offset some of the cost of canceling the agreement on the new line. You won't get much for the Storms at this point, but it's better then paying the whole 350 to cancel the new line. Not to mention you can add that third line again when the next new phone comes out that you want.
- 09-24-2010, 10:24 PM #17
The guy at the Verizon store told me that we can push her upgrade up to now, but then he wouldn't be able to also approve BOGO on it. This tells me that it can be done, though, so maybe I'll get someone on the phone to approve the early upgrade, and then go buy them at Best Buy where they can price match the bogo. That sounds like a lot of work, though, when I could just be patient.
- 09-25-2010, 08:58 AM #19
- 09-25-2010, 09:44 AM #20
- 09-25-2010, 09:58 AM #21
Dude- make your wife happy. Give her your upgrade, and you wait till January and get the next big thing out with her upgrade. I know you want to do the bogo thing, but your only choices are to spend more $$$ with VZW.
I'm sure they will have a bogo in January or February so you could both wait till then if you wanted.
Not what you wanted to hear but that is what I would do.
- 09-25-2010, 12:41 PM #23
- 09-25-2010, 03:36 PM #24