Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Comineeyeaha's Avatar

    Posts
    690 Posts
    Global Posts
    707 Global Posts
    ROM
    GNex: CM10. N7: stock

    Default Got the approval from the wife, there's still a hurdle

    Ok, gang, it's time to put our heads together. I took my wife into the Verizon store yesterday to try and convince her of how cool the Fascinate is, and it works. So well, in fact, that she has instructed me to get us a pair of them as soon as possible. The only problem is her line doesn't upgrade until January. I called Verizon last week and they told me they can't move her date up as she is just the secondary line on our family plan. Now, I know there are ways to game the system, I'm hoping somebody here has some experience in getting Verizon, or any phone company, to move an upgrade date forward by 3 months.

    Any ideas? I'd love to join the community for real!
  2. #2  

    Default

    I thought verizon would pretty much bend over backwards to get anyone without a data plan into one, even if they wanted an early upgrade.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Comineeyeaha's Avatar

    Posts
    690 Posts
    Global Posts
    707 Global Posts
    ROM
    GNex: CM10. N7: stock

    Default

    We both have a data plan already, or else your theory would be sound. We've got a pair of Storms, and after she got her hands on the fascinate I'm pretty sure she wants to throw her Storm away.
  4. #4  
    HeftyOrb's Avatar

    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock OTA

    Default

    Secondary lines don't get the date moved. Only the Primary can do an early upgrade at the one year mark. Best you can do is wait till your with in the 30 days of the Upgrade date and try a corporate location. I've seen them approve the upgrade on a secondary line with in 30 days
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    Comineeyeaha's Avatar

    Posts
    690 Posts
    Global Posts
    707 Global Posts
    ROM
    GNex: CM10. N7: stock

    Default

    I'm pertty sure thats what i'll be stuck with, but I REALLY want to get rid of our storms!
  6. #6  

    Default

    How long has it been since you (the primary) upgraded?

    If its been 2 yrs you can change your wifes line to primary and get her and early upgarde and you can get your standard upgrade.
    Last edited by coltsbr; 09-23-2010 at 01:13 PM. Reason: info
  7. #7  
    bkorver's Avatar

    Posts
    801 Posts
    Global Posts
    847 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    There is always the "add a line" option. If you have a dumb phone laying around, you can add a line to get the deal on the Fascinate, then transfer the dumb phone to the added line asap. Downside... 10 bucks a month to your bill for 2 years. It's sixes...
    "In valor, there is hope."
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    Comineeyeaha's Avatar

    Posts
    690 Posts
    Global Posts
    707 Global Posts
    ROM
    GNex: CM10. N7: stock

    Default

    We both upgraded at the same time. My early upgrade has been available since like May, and the NE2 comes up in January for both of us. Maybe I should get on the horn with them and tell them I'll do whatever it takes with switching lines around just to get it. I joked with them on 1 call that I might open up a 3rd line just to get the phone, and I think they thought I was serious. Maybe I just need to talk to the right person.
  9. #9  
    jnewell's Avatar

    Posts
    218 Posts
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts

    Default

    Secondary line should be OK for contract renewal discount if last renewal was 20 months ago. I got that discount from VZW two weeks ago - three phones were out of contract and the fourth expired in December. Depending on dates, you should just about be there.
  10. #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Comineeyeaha View Post
    We both upgraded at the same time. My early upgrade has been available since like May, and the NE2 comes up in January for both of us. Maybe I should get on the horn with them and tell them I'll do whatever it takes with switching lines around just to get it. I joked with them on 1 call that I might open up a 3rd line just to get the phone, and I think they thought I was serious. Maybe I just need to talk to the right person.
    That's what my wife and I did. We just opened another line to have an extra phone at the house. That way we could both get the Fascinate.
  11. #11  

    Default

    Sounds like what you need doesn't make business sense for Verizon.
    Your best bet is renewing your primary line and adding an additional line for $9.99/month.
    Once it's all billed out, reactivate old equipment on the new number and switch the Fascinate over to your line that wasn't eligible.
    Hell, if you don't really need to keep that one number that expires next year, drop it and use the new number you added to buy the Fascinate.
  12. #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by egg_head View Post
    Sounds like what you need doesn't make business sense for Verizon.
    Your best bet is renewing your primary line and adding an additional line for $9.99/month.
    Once it's all billed out, reactivate old equipment on the new number and switch the Fascinate over to your line that wasn't eligible.
    Hell, if you don't really need to keep that one number that expires next year, drop it and use the new number you added to buy the Fascinate.
    I am in an eerily similar situation (two Storms, and January before the second line is eligible) and this is what the VZ rep suggested. The part that didn't make sense was that ultimately it would result in an extra two year contract hanging around for the full two years. The rep explained "well you end up spending an extra $240 but you get to take advantage of the BOGO and you get to upgrade now instead of in four months." I asked point blank "if there is a switcheroo why can't I just cancel the old line when it expires in May" and he gave me a funny look and said "you will have the extra line for two full years." Why wouldn't you just be able to cancel the older contract in May when it ends, and be back to one?
    Last edited by joebob2000; 09-23-2010 at 01:48 PM.
  13. #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joebob2000 View Post
    Why wouldn't you just be able to cancel the older contract in May when it ends, and be back to one?
    You can. That's what I'd do if the wife doesn't mind getting a new cell number.

    Add a line with the Free Fascinate...transfer her old number to a "dumb" phone @ 9.99 a month until the number is out of contract (in May) and then just cancel that line. That way you're only out the ten bucks a month until her old line's contract is up. That's the best way to do it monetarily at this point.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  
    Comineeyeaha's Avatar

    Posts
    690 Posts
    Global Posts
    707 Global Posts
    ROM
    GNex: CM10. N7: stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joebob2000 View Post
    I am in an eerily similar situation (two Storms, and January before the second line is eligible) and this is what the VZ rep suggested. The part that didn't make sense was that ultimately it would result in an extra two year contract hanging around for the full two years. The rep explained "well you end up spending an extra $240 but you get to take advantage of the BOGO and you get to upgrade now instead of in four months." I asked point blank "if there is a switcheroo why can't I just cancel the old line when it expires in May" and he gave me a funny look and said "you will have the extra line for two full years." Why wouldn't you just be able to cancel the older contract in May when it ends, and be back to one?
    Yeah, you probably got in on the same BOGO I did last may and bought 2 storms because it was an "iphone killer", right?

    I would go with the option of adding a line and then cancelling it later, but I really don't feel like blowing an extra 240 over the life of the phone just to save money now. I'd end up spending more in the long run when I could just wait.

    Sigh, not the answer I was hoping for...
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  
    Comineeyeaha's Avatar

    Posts
    690 Posts
    Global Posts
    707 Global Posts
    ROM
    GNex: CM10. N7: stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by egg_head View Post
    Sounds like what you need doesn't make business sense for Verizon.
    Unfortunately I'm well aware of this. You can't blame a guy for trying though, right?
  16. #16  
    NickA's Avatar

    Posts
    1,312 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,355 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Just add the extra line for 9.99, the sell the 2 Storms on eBay to offset some of the cost of canceling the agreement on the new line. You won't get much for the Storms at this point, but it's better then paying the whole 350 to cancel the new line. Not to mention you can add that third line again when the next new phone comes out that you want.
  17. #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Comineeyeaha View Post
    Yeah, you probably got in on the same BOGO I did last may and bought 2 storms because it was an "iphone killer", right?

    I would go with the option of adding a line and then cancelling it later, but I really don't feel like blowing an extra 240 over the life of the phone just to save money now. I'd end up spending more in the long run when I could just wait.

    Sigh, not the answer I was hoping for...
    My problem is that my wife doesn't want to give up her storm unless her next phone is free. Other than the bigger screen I honestly don't have much of a case to make as neither of us have any of the "legendary" storm 1 problems. If my phone would just up and break like the nine million other forum peeps who had one...
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  
    Comineeyeaha's Avatar

    Posts
    690 Posts
    Global Posts
    707 Global Posts
    ROM
    GNex: CM10. N7: stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joebob2000 View Post
    My problem is that my wife doesn't want to give up her storm unless her next phone is free. Other than the bigger screen I honestly don't have much of a case to make as neither of us have any of the "legendary" storm 1 problems. If my phone would just up and break like the nine million other forum peeps who had one...
    Ha! If only, right?

    The guy at the Verizon store told me that we can push her upgrade up to now, but then he wouldn't be able to also approve BOGO on it. This tells me that it can be done, though, so maybe I'll get someone on the phone to approve the early upgrade, and then go buy them at Best Buy where they can price match the bogo. That sounds like a lot of work, though, when I could just be patient.
  19. #19  

    Default

    Well, if you boil it down the add a line may not be a horrible option. Right now you've got BOGO, in a few months you may not.... so then your probably 199 each. You're then looking at a $40 difference, not so huge. Just a concideration.
  20. #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nevrdun View Post
    Well, if you boil it down the add a line may not be a horrible option. Right now you've got BOGO, in a few months you may not.... so then your probably 199 each. You're then looking at a $40 difference, not so huge. Just a concideration.
    If we were both hankerin' for a new phone, I would say the $40 is worth it. As it is, who knows if there won't be a better phone with a BOGO in January to make our "patience pay-off" $240... I could probably stand to hold off for a global Android phone (probably the moto Droid 2 global ed.) since I am out of the country a few times a year and it would be nice to not be out of service in GSM-only areas. Maybe by then the Storm 4 will be out and I can keep my wife's blackberry addiction satiated.
  21. #21  
    p08757's Avatar
    ** Superhero **

    Posts
    1,530 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,017 Global Posts

    Default

    Dude- make your wife happy. Give her your upgrade, and you wait till January and get the next big thing out with her upgrade. I know you want to do the bogo thing, but your only choices are to spend more $$$ with VZW.

    I'm sure they will have a bogo in January or February so you could both wait till then if you wanted.

    Not what you wanted to hear but that is what I would do.
    Thanked by:
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  
    Comineeyeaha's Avatar

    Posts
    690 Posts
    Global Posts
    707 Global Posts
    ROM
    GNex: CM10. N7: stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by p08757 View Post
    Dude- make your wife happy. Give her your upgrade.
    Many years ago, before the smartphone market really took off, I let her take my upgrade to get the LG EnV, while I was stuck with an even more basic flip phone. I know that this scenario is apples and oranges, but I've already done that once in my life time, and once is enough.
  23. #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by p08757 View Post
    Dude- make your wife happy. Give her your upgrade, and you wait till January and get the next big thing out with her upgrade. I know you want to do the bogo thing, but your only choices are to spend more $$$ with VZW.

    I'm sure they will have a bogo in January or February so you could both wait till then if you wanted.

    Not what you wanted to hear but that is what I would do.
    Kudos for such an elegant solution! Happy wife, happy life...
  24. #24  
    jnewell's Avatar

    Posts
    218 Posts
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts

    Default

    VZW should give you renewal pricing if you are 20 months into a two year contract. If you had a two year contract and it expires in January 2011, you should be there or within a few days of that.

Posting Permissions

B