VZW update coming through now

Status
Not open for further replies.

king_of_fools

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
so the VZW update is coming through now, it downloaded but i deferred it, i want to know if its gonna be an issue at all that i'm rooted and have the lag fix and some of the original embedded .apk files changed to .apk.old so they don't show up.

anyone able to clear that up for me before i allow it to go through?

side note ... will this contain that promised GPS fix from Samsung ? I'm searching other threads for this info now but i figured i'd ask while i'm posting

K
O
f

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
You should be able to update just fine, but it will break your root so you will have to reroot once the update is finished. But you shouldn't hit any problems (at least I didn't)

good90033

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
hello im new to rooting and im using a mac i saw the tutorial on how to root using a mac what i want to know is will i still be able to root using that same method after the update that came out? Can anyone please help answer that question for me it would be greatly appreciated.

TripSixes

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Not sure... but, this update did not remove "root" from my phone... the apps that rely on root access are still functioning just fine after the update...

I confirmed too that my Firmware version shows to be : 2.1-update1

so, it would appear that my update worked just fine without any need to re-root..

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
Not sure... but, this update did not remove "root" from my phone... the apps that rely on root access are still functioning just fine after the update...

I confirmed too that my Firmware version shows to be : 2.1-update1

so, it would appear that my update worked just fine without any need to re-root..

Everyone's firmware version says 2.1-update1.

Kernel version, Build version or Baseband version is what you need to check.

TripSixes

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Everyone's firmware version says 2.1-update1.

Kernel version, Build version or Baseband version is what you need to check.

Baseband version : S:i500.04 V.DI01
Kernel version : 2.6.29
Build Number : SCH-I500.DI01

I believe the new update is DI01, correct? So, definitely appears that mine is updated.. and still able to do root-able things.. ...

and, I never renamed the .old files.. left them as they were in /system/app.

TripSixes

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
how do i get to the update?

Menu key, Settings, scroll to About Phone, then system update... then "check new"..
it'll take some time to think.. then you'll be prompted from that point forward for the phone to auto-apply the update.. all over the air.

king_of_fools

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
something went wrong with my update ... i'm in a force close loop now *sigh*

i've tried the odin route once so far ... ends up back in a force close loop ... my guess is this has something to do with the damn lag fix but i cannot access the settings menu to get it back into debug to try and take out the lag fix and then redo everything

am i screwed ? any suggestions?

k
O
f

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
something went wrong with my update ... i'm in a force close loop now *sigh*

i've tried the odin route once so far ... ends up back in a force close loop ... my guess is this has something to do with the damn lag fix but i cannot access the settings menu to get it back into debug to try and take out the lag fix and then redo everything

am i screwed ? any suggestions?

k
O
f

Unfortunately I've been traveling all week and haven't been reading every thread that closely but from what I have read it seems like anyone that had the lag fix installed prior to the OTA update, had major issues afterwards.

Is this the case Brandon and/or Dirrk?

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm wondering if it only affects the ones who installed the lag fix manually versus the app in the market... I used the lag fix via the app and haven't had any issues with the OTA update. I haven't tried to remove the lag fix yet though, because of everything I have read since the update

king_of_fools

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
yeah i called up VZW and got my phone swapped out today, pain in the *** but oh well, did the ota update in store so i wouldn't have any issues to deal with.

i have to think twice about doing the lag fix again ... caint wait till we get a rom for this thing

K
o
f

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma