Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default VZW update coming through now

so the VZW update is coming through now, it downloaded but i deferred it, i want to know if its gonna be an issue at all that i'm rooted and have the lag fix and some of the original embedded .apk files changed to .apk.old so they don't show up.

anyone able to clear that up for me before i allow it to go through?

side note ... will this contain that promised GPS fix from Samsung ? I'm searching other threads for this info now but i figured i'd ask while i'm posting

K
    O
    f
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    1,688 Global Posts
    ROM
    GummyCharge 1.9.1

You should be able to update just fine, but it will break your root so you will have to reroot once the update is finished. But you shouldn't hit any problems (at least I didn't)
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thank you for the quick reply

K
    O
    f

hello im new to rooting and im using a mac i saw the tutorial on how to root using a mac what i want to know is will i still be able to root using that same method after the update that came out? Can anyone please help answer that question for me it would be greatly appreciated.

ROM
    Stock Deodexed Froyo

This isn't the 2.2 update, correct? (I'm worried about losing ShootMe :|)
    My Smartphone Journey on Big Red:
    Motorola Droid --> Motorola Droid 2 --> Samsung Fascinate --> iPhone 4S --> Samsung Galaxy S4

Global Posts
    861 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by packerbacker View Post
    This isn't the 2.2 update, correct? (I'm worried about losing ShootMe :|)
    No this is not 2.2, it actually called 2.1 update 1
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock Deodexed Froyo

Alright, thanks bro.
    My Smartphone Journey on Big Red:
    Motorola Droid --> Motorola Droid 2 --> Samsung Fascinate --> iPhone 4S --> Samsung Galaxy S4

This update will remove root but it is easy to re-root. Just search the forums, all the info is here.

Not sure... but, this update did not remove "root" from my phone... the apps that rely on root access are still functioning just fine after the update...

I confirmed too that my Firmware version shows to be : 2.1-update1

so, it would appear that my update worked just fine without any need to re-root..

Quote Originally Posted by TripSixes View Post
    Not sure... but, this update did not remove "root" from my phone... the apps that rely on root access are still functioning just fine after the update...

I confirmed too that my Firmware version shows to be : 2.1-update1

so, it would appear that my update worked just fine without any need to re-root..
    Everyone's firmware version says 2.1-update1.

Kernel version, Build version or Baseband version is what you need to check.

Quote Originally Posted by namebrandon View Post
    Everyone's firmware version says 2.1-update1.

Kernel version, Build version or Baseband version is what you need to check.
    Baseband version : S:i500.04 V.DI01
    Kernel version : 2.6.29
    Build Number : SCH-I500.DI01

I believe the new update is DI01, correct? So, definitely appears that mine is updated.. and still able to do root-able things.. ...

and, I never renamed the .old files.. left them as they were in /system/app.

how do i get to the update?

Quote Originally Posted by Dcj View Post
    how do i get to the update?
    Menu key, Settings, scroll to About Phone, then system update... then "check new"..
    it'll take some time to think.. then you'll be prompted from that point forward for the phone to auto-apply the update.. all over the air.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

something went wrong with my update ... i'm in a force close loop now *sigh*

i've tried the odin route once so far ... ends up back in a force close loop ... my guess is this has something to do with the damn lag fix but i cannot access the settings menu to get it back into debug to try and take out the lag fix and then redo everything

am i screwed ? any suggestions?

k
    O
    f

No update for me yet

I find the update, but it failed to load. Trying again real fast, hopefully it takes this time around.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by king_of_fools View Post
    something went wrong with my update ... i'm in a force close loop now *sigh*

i've tried the odin route once so far ... ends up back in a force close loop ... my guess is this has something to do with the damn lag fix but i cannot access the settings menu to get it back into debug to try and take out the lag fix and then redo everything

am i screwed ? any suggestions?

k
    O
    f
    Unfortunately I've been traveling all week and haven't been reading every thread that closely but from what I have read it seems like anyone that had the lag fix installed prior to the OTA update, had major issues afterwards.

Is this the case Brandon and/or Dirrk?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    1,688 Global Posts
    ROM
    GummyCharge 1.9.1

I'm wondering if it only affects the ones who installed the lag fix manually versus the app in the market... I used the lag fix via the app and haven't had any issues with the OTA update. I haven't tried to remove the lag fix yet though, because of everything I have read since the update
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

yeah i called up VZW and got my phone swapped out today, pain in the *** but oh well, did the ota update in store so i wouldn't have any issues to deal with.

i have to think twice about doing the lag fix again ... caint wait till we get a rom for this thing

K
    o
    f

even when manually checking the update is not found

Quote Originally Posted by Insult2Injury View Post
    even when manually checking the update is not found
    This is a thread for the initial update from back in Sept. Check your about phone section in settings. If it says firmware version 2.1 update 1 and has a DI01 in the next line you already have it. If not, then you might have a problem. The new update is DJ05 but, so far it is not out to the general public.

Global Posts
    961 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10/Devil

Damn I got way too excited when this post got bumped back to the top and I'm sure I wont be the only one. I can't wait for DJ05.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Ha, yeah. I did too, then I noticed the date

So what did this update do or what did it fix???

Samsung Fascinate gets minor tweaks in new Verizon update -- Engadget Mobile

This page has the pdf that shows what it fixed. Wasn't much, DJ05 will be much nicer when we get it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast