Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Any consensus on GPS issue?

Was wondering if the problems are going to be fixed with a software patch? Even with GPS Status downloading the Almanac every day my GPS lock takes from 1 to 7 minutes. I have about a week to decide if I am keeping my SF.

I started my DINC for the first time in two weeks yesterday. It got a lock and position fix in less than 30 seconds (indoors). Without a almanac download or anything. It highlights how bad the SF really is in this one area. Really happy with the rest of it though and I'd like to keep it, figuring the GPS will get fixed soon. Anyone? Thanks.

Global Posts
    467 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP Devil 40.1

I locked GPS within seconds in Tampa.

Global Posts
    395 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock TouchWiz

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by curley View Post
    I locked GPS within seconds in Tampa.
    Same here for speed of lock...but in Pa.
    I'm confused as to what this "GPS issue" exactly is?????
    Our 2 Samsung Fascinates have perfectly functional GPS!!

The GPS issue is that some phones can take up to five minutes for the gps to lock on. Mine takes between 2 and 5 minutes to get a lock

Global Posts
    395 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock TouchWiz

Maybe there is a conflict with a app on your phone?
    I hope you're not using a task killer......?

Quote Originally Posted by KB3MMX View Post
    Same here for speed of lock...but in Pa.
    I'm confused as to what this "GPS issue" exactly is?????
    Our 2 Samsung Fascinates have perfectly functional GPS!!
    So you always get a lock within a few seconds? Even if you just turned on the phone? That's the only issue I know of, that it often (not always) takes longer than many other phones to get a lock when GPS hasn't been used in a while. I don't think mine has ever taken longer than ~3.5 minutes, which I can live with (I think). Sometimes if I've recently gotten a lock then it only takes <10 seconds.

My Fascinate takes 2-3 mins to lock, generally. Here at my place, where I typically only get 1 bar reception, I can sit in the driveway for 6+ minutes waiting for a lock.

It seems that the cell tower triangulation makes a huge difference in the speed of your gps lock. Next time you try the gps and it's giving you trouble, check your cell reception. I know it doesn't really help, this isn't a fix, and it shouldn't HAVE to work that way, but meh - Maybe next update.

I got my phone yesterday and it takes 3+ min to gps lock. And when I am inside the how, it doesn't lock at all. my wife's Incredible lock gps even inside the house if you are near the window. I downloaded GPS staus and I think it helps. When I am outside, gps lock pretty quick, maybe it takes 20 to 30 sec now. However, I am not getting any gps lock inside the side with right next to the big window.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I have not seen a Fascinate that can lock in less than a few minutes if a Lock has not been established within the previous 12 hours. I have one of the first Fascinates shipped. Are you guys (that are getting a quick lock) saying that you get a fast lock, with no prior lock in the last day?? I am talking about a real GPS fix of 50 feet or less, not 2,000 yards or meters