Swype tips that'll come in handy on the Fascinate

ibikeiruniswim

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Not having a trackball or the equivalent on Fascinate can be really annoying especially when you are editing text but thanks tothis little tip from lifehacker you can use the swype keyboard. Just slide from the tips button to the symbols (SYM) button to bring up a directional pad with some other options too.
gW5fG.png

Last edited by a moderator:

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
Holy crap, that's great. I wish I had paid attention to that tutorial. I'm making this a sticky (and changing the topic name a bit). If anyone else has any Swype tips, please share them!

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
From Playtpus Man in the same thread as lifehacker:

"I don't know if anyone has already mentioned this, but another Swype shortcut is to swipe from the tips button to the shift button -- it lets you set the capitalization of the previous word, either all caps, no caps, or just the first letter capitalized."

Actually, I recommend going to their site and watching the videos...I just learned some more things I didn't know http://swypeinc.com/tips-tricks.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Lyman1

Martian

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Doh!

I use the virtual arrows all the time. I guess I just thought this was one of those things that "everybody knows" except me, until I figured it out. Glad someone took the time to post the tip!

Much quicker than tapping over and over until you get just the right spot to edit.

Socfan12

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
This is great! I came from an iphone and you moved the cursor by tapping in the right location, something I tried to do with my fascinate but never worked well. This is a great tip!

cheers!

TripSixes

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
and, if you hit the SYM button once, (to get the normal numbers/symbols input).. THEN, long press the same key (now has 123/abc)... you get a better number pad for easier number entry.

and.. start on the space bar... drag to the backspace.. and it immediately changes to "no space" mode.. (web addresses, email, etc)

via android tapatalk

Reactions: Lyman1

Tari

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Oh, wow. Now if Swype only had a one-character-at-a-time held backspace function, I'd never use anything else.

Cuda52774

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
and, if you hit the SYM button once, (to get the normal numbers/symbols input).. THEN, long press the same key (now has 123/abc)... you get a better number pad for easier number entry.

and.. start on the space bar... drag to the backspace.. and it immediately changes to "no space" mode.. (web addresses, email, etc)

via android tapatalk

Just so you know, if you want to get to the number pad faster swype from the tips button the the letter "F" (also the number five which is the middle of a keypad). Takes you straight to the number pad.

Also great tips on the capitalization of a word already typed and the no spaces tip. I've needed those! Thanks.

Cuda

seanatsb

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Great tips! Only had the fascinate for two weeks, I really thought the blackberry key board was much more functional until getting these tips, esp about the direction pad with the text select options and copy/paste.

Now I am much more happier with swype and the fascinate.

Thanks.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
What is the trick to get Swype to delete any word I want? Words like col or god instead of cool and good (i am a very positive thinker...) need to go. According to the tutorial popup you should be able to delete any word by selecting it and tapping the swype button but for me that just brings up the word choices list... Am I doing something wrong?

TripSixes

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
What is the trick to get Swype to delete any word I want? Words like col or god instead of cool and good (i am a very positive thinker...) need to go. According to the tutorial popup you should be able to delete any word by selecting it and tapping the swype button but for me that just brings up the word choices list... Am I doing something wrong?

I agree ... there are so many tiny/stupid words in the english language that i'll NEVER use.. and to have swype continue to use them instead of the words that I do use, is very frustrating.

From the Swype official Forums: This Thread

Unfortunately right now there is no way to delete words from the built in dictionary. However we agree that dictionary control needs a big rework, however small, patchwork solutions won't cut it. It deserves a full revamp which we haven't been able to do yet. In short, we're aware of the problem and will be addressing it in the future.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I agree ... there are so many tiny/stupid words in the english language that i'll NEVER use.. and to have swype continue to use them instead of the words that I do use, is very frustrating.

From the Swype official Forums: This Thread

Yeah after playing with it, it seems as if i type in a word that is definitely not in the Swype dictionary (say, "crogtostic") and do the highlight-tap routine it asks me if i want to delete it... It seems that it would make more sense for it to ask me to add it to the dictionary.

Related to the problem, i did find out that swirling or V-ing on a letter when typing a double-lettered word works fairly well to get it to use the double-letter version ("cool" vs "col".)

jorger81#AC

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I wish that it had a "learning" phase where you could add or teach it new words. I know that it claims to "learn" but i may use specific "curse" words which apparently the Swype Masters dont want me to use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo