Someone, have mercy on a confused and tormented soul.

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Ok. I went into the Verizon Corp Store and played with the Droid X and the Fascinate. Yesterday. When I left I was DEAD set on the Fascinate. That screen was amazing and the depth of colors blew me away. I just like over all how it is set up. Didnt mess with the GPS on it. In most areas I liked it better then the Droid X.

However I made a fatal mistake.

I went back in today on my lunch break to play with them cause I was board. While playing with them both some more I decided that the web surfing experience on the Droid X seemed more fluid to me. Text easier to read, that sort of thing. Then I played with the Fascinate and attempted to play with the GPS. Mistake. I typed in a destination and after 18 minutes it never found a sat.

I am asking for an opinion here. I know this has been done a million times before but I believe each case is unique as each person that asks has something different they like so much about them. So if you will, humor me :)

Here is what I like between the two:

Fascinate
  • Depth of Colors
  • Screen Size
  • Form Factor. (Droid X looks like it fell from the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down)
  • Navigation around the menus and screens
  • Personality of the phone
  • Light yet well made
  • Not an Eris
  • TouchWiz to an extent (widgets)
  • Swype

Motorola Droid X
  • True whites
  • Materials it is made of
  • GPS actually works
  • Web surfing experience (text is more easily read)
  • Non Swype texting comes easier for me on the Droid X
  • Not an Eris
  • Google Google Google (dont have to fiddle with it)
  • Swype comes installed if I want it

Im pretty torn here...I should have never gone back in LMAO. Someone force me one way or the other please, thanks.

Actually dont force me...unless you like that kindof thing. Ok, nm. What do you guys think? I have the Eris right now and I understand ANYTHING would be better. Mainly what I want it something that I can text easily on, make calls, visit a forum or two, email ect ect. They both do this, I just need one thing that will lean me one way or another.

And......GO!

:p

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
GPS will work on the Fascinate. You may have to download a free app to make it more accurate (like I did).

I mean it really depends on which phone fits your needs the best. Certain things are more important to some more than others. The Droid had a great battery but I couldn't ever get over how ugly I thought the phone was. Some people don't care as much about aesthetics as I do.

I love the Fascinate, I've had it since launch day and I've had zero problems with it, zero freezes/battery pulls, battery's lasted me all day, etc. I'd recommend it, especially considering I hate anything Motorola creates.

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site
You rarely will get a good GPS signal indoors. Some phones can do it regularly, but usually not the Fascinate.

It really came down to one thing for me...the size and form factor of the Fascinate were better than the X for my needs. I agree with your assessment that text is easier to read and the screen is more "white" on the X...but watching movies and viewing pictures with the true "blacks" look better on the fascinate. So there are pluses and minuses to the screens as well.

Just stick with your initial gut reaction...you'll more times than not be completely happy if you just stick with the first conclusion.

Reactions: DroidDev

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Just stick with your initial gut reaction...you'll more times than not be completely happy if you just stick with the first conclusion.

Totally agree. My Droid 2 bit the dust within 2 weeks and I went back to the store to exchange it. Could pick between any phone in the store. Gut reaction was the Fascinate... I went with it.. no regrets!

Reactions: DroidDev

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Wow that was easier than I though. Thanks guys. You two may have just prevented me from making another Eris style mistake. Meaning I was going to get the Droid 1 then I HAD to go back in and look. FML. lol. Im hoping that Besy Buy will have the Fascinate back up on the 8th. I missed out the first time and I found a few posts on the internet stating that it will be back up on the 8th. Also asked best buy and they said good chance but not 100%

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Don't forget about the 30 day exchange period too. I know it's 35 bucks, but if you plan on keeping the phone for a while, it's worth it. I normally have my mind made up on the phone I want, but actually get the one I wanted the least. It sounds backwards, but at least I can always go for the phone I wanted in the first place. Plus I get to play with another phone for a month.

BrownHornet72

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Try them both!

I purchased the X on launch bacause I wanted a phone with a large screen and with Froyo it is blazing fast...blazing! I was fortunate enough to get one with no problems or glitches whatsoever. Now Im being honest, that super amoled screen on the Fascinate is awesome and looks great. A little fake looking but still great. You really can't go wrong either way so why not try the Fascinate for a couple of weeks then the X or vice versa? I believe you get 30 days to make up your mind. And FYI don't be fooled. Movies look great on the X too! Especially subtitles!

storm6610

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I am sitting here staring at BOTH of them. That would be the X and the Fascinate.
I don't know if I would label the X as ugly as much as I would say the Fascinate has a more appealing "American" form factor.

I switch back and forth all the time with the X and Fascinate. I have been using the X now for a little while mainly because for whatever reason, the signal is better on it.

And it seems faster to me. Plus, IMO the phone is better on the X.

And lastly that bloody $5.00 LED light that they didn't put on the Fascinate.

I waffle back and forth between I need that LED and I could careless, that NOLED (from the market) works just as good.

I don't think there is a magic bullet of reasons to go with one and not the other. I agree, you probably will be happier with either.

Checkingout

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
If you plan on using phone in sunny outdoor environments...the fascinate screen is more viewable compared to LCD. Both great phones...tough decision.

Destination Moon

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Been where you are and decided the SF is the phone for me. I actually owned the X for a few weeks and liked the DINC much better. The X is Too Big and heavy. You gotta lug it everywhere (at least I do) and it was just too much. It does everything well and needs Launcher Pro to make it the phone it needs to be. The SF screen is sooo much better (IMHO) that I can even over look the long time for GPS to lock. And pray they get a software fix in the next OTA!!
I have had the DINC, the X and the SF. SF is what I am carrying (for now:p)

OB1J3D1

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
I was in the same position as you. Coming from a Droid 1 I was considering the DX or the SF. Going to the store, I was 99% sure the X was the one for me. But, spent a good long time in store playing with both and I could not get over the size and shape of the X.

I agree both are great phones, but the SF was the one for me.

SeatownGST

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
go with the fascinate, and hope within 30 days we get 2.2 !!!! hehehe

I'm getting close myself to the decision to return it and go back to the storm 1 :confused:

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
If you plan on using phone in sunny outdoor environments...the fascinate screen is more viewable compared to LCD. Both great phones...tough decision.

+1 Definitely! That's what sold me on the Fascinate. Got a one touch brightness app (Brightness Level by CurveFish) too so I can crank it on up in sunlight or set it to auto. Used it today while outdoors and it was a joy compared to the X. Plus. We're gettin' custom Roms, Baby!

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I have decided! Here ye Here ye! I have decided on the Fascinate. I hereby look back at Sir Droid X and say...

ninny.jpg

Now if any of you can just stop me from going into the store and playing with the phones again before I buy.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz