Call quality sucks

andonakis

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
There are many people having this issue but there is no fix in sight, it is what it is. So the $%#@ with it, I'm frustrated because I don't know if I will be better off with the droid x. Does any on know if the 2.2 update will fix the call issues just a little bit? Does rooting make it better ion the calling department?
You see, this question has been asked many time but there is no straight answer. I went to the verizon store the other day and called my friend from the x just out of curiosity and he told me I sounded 10 time better on the x than the fascinate. He said I sounded like I was enclosed in a sound proof booth. And the store was filled with noisy people. So whatever, just have to make the decision.
By the way I really love this phone and the call issue is the only p[problem I'm having and it really sucks to get something else.

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I'd love to hear about this as well. I read some reports of one version of the OS on the Incredible had no sidetone at all, and then after an update, it did have it, so it seems it *is* something that's configurable through the OS. How to change it is the question.

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Really makes me wonder if this is a hardware or software problem. Mine had horrible signal strength (rarely above -106 dBm) at home, and while the person on the other end sounded OK, I could hear everything I said through the earpiece, and it sounded faintly overdriven/distorted, which was hugely distracting.

gzigoris

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
My Fascinate has terrific call quality. So does my wife's. Crystal clear on both ends. Great signal strength, too.

Ditto here for my wife and myself. Crystal clear on both ends. As far as signal strength, I have no trouble with calls when I have 1 bar so everything above and beyond that is great. Oh yeah, Wife's phone has better signal strength than mine.

Melvil

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
while the person on the other end sounded OK, I could hear everything I said through the earpiece, and it sounded faintly overdriven/distorted, which was hugely distracting.

I just bought myself a Fascinate, and so far I'm pretty well loving it, but even from the first call I made with it I've been really aware of this issue. I guess I'll need to play with it some more, but if anyone has the scoop on what the deal is, I'd love to know.

Socfan12

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
My wife and I both got SFs from the BOGO offer. I recently exchanged mine for a Droid X because of the side tone issue. My wife's SF really didn't exhibit the issue to the same extent, if at all. So my wife is happy with her SF and I'm happy with my DX.

zlee67

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
My call quality is a hit or miss, sometimes I have static and echo in the ear piece and sometimes not. Normally, I have to adjust the call volume to have a decent conversation on the phone. I went to verizon and they said that is the way is supposed to be and there was nothing wrong. lol I am contemplating whether to switch to Droid X but I really love the screen on this phone along with the form factor. When it comes down to it, it is a phone and I would like to use it as phone in addition to the other functions.

storm6610

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I am curious, has anyone actually called VZW tech support about the issue?? Maybe someone would get lucky and talk to someone who actually knows what they are talking about and either provides a fix or some insight.

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
That is great advice. I know that there are settings you can access in the hidden menus. I had the exact same problem with my HTC Eris. I call *611 and the technician called me on another line and guided me through the process of changing towers and pointing my device to the correct set of towers and changed the frequency ect. After that my sidetone was GONE, call quality was great.

Also prior to that I had the issue where I would call someone and it would not ring I would just hear myself as if I were standing in front of me talking. However it was ringing and people on the other end could hear me but I would have no idea I was connected. Calling *611 and working with the technician also fixed that.

Its laughable when you see someone return a perfectly good phone thinking its gone wonky when in reality all it needs it to be tweaked to the correct settings. Sometimes guys, the carriers dont ALWAYS get it right. There are specific settings to your location and going *228 doesnt always work right.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Again great call quality here also I would return yours under warranty it has to be the device. I had the X and nothing but issues with it constant rebooting and verizon said it was a known issue so they wouldn't exchange for a new one but some X owners didn't have the issue go figure!

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I am curious, has anyone actually called VZW tech support about the issue?? Maybe someone would get lucky and talk to someone who actually knows what they are talking about and either provides a fix or some insight.

I did contact Verizon tec support before returning the phone about these issues. I was told to stand by a window or outside to get better reception and a clearer call. :eek:

I would be interested to hear about someone calling *611 as DroidDev suggests, but the whole thing sounds suspect - it's a cell phone - a *portable* phone, and hence not going to be in the same place all the time. Configuring the phone to use specific towers might help in one location, but then what? Do I need to call *611 and configure the phone to use local towers every time I travel to a new location? Not trying to sound like an Apple pimp (because I'm anything but), but my iPhone had great call quality and no annoying reverb/echo/sidetone anywhere I went.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
It's *228 option 2 to set up towers.

What this does is makes sure your device has the up to date towers (native and roaming) you can access in your area according to your plan. Unless you're traveling hundreds of miles, you don't have to do this all the time.

Question: Do you still have issues when you connect via bluetooth? If so, it could be you just have faulty hardware. I've sold a few dozen of these without having any returned for call quality, so I'm assuming it's not a known issue with the line, but maybe a bad batch or two.

That, or you live in a low signal area. Samsung's arn't known to be signal hounds. As much as people hate SAR, generally the higher the Sar rating, the better the device can connect to towers in low signal zones (this is why Motos are so high)

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Right. What I was talking about was setting the phone to constantly point at the right towers not at one set all the time. My fault on bad wording.

storm6610

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I really hope more Fascinate users or people "in the know" weigh in on this forum because I shelved my Fascinate and went back to my X until this issue is resolved.

I made a call today and the person said they had trouble hearing me and overall that the quality was poor. I NEVER have that issue with my X.

I have read tons on this subject from people saying they never had this issue to people saying they returned phones because of it.

I am not saying that in every case they don't have a bad phone, but it seems strange this issue keeps cropping up.

Is there a difference between the initial *228 option 1 and then dialing *228 option 2??

I was told one time by VZW that option 1 both programs the phone and sets the towers.

I would love to resolve this issue because I love the Fascinate but can't take the poor call quality.

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
There is a difference between the two. Option 1 will do both. Option 2 will only handle updating towers. If it was done in the store when you bought it I would go home and use option two. Also, call *611 and tell them your issue. There are internal settings the technician can help you with that are not accessible normally.

Melvil

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I've used my phone quite a bit more now, and that side tone issue seems to be present on every call. It's not deal breaking-bad, but I'd really like to get it resolved. I might take it back into best buy and see what they tell me.

storm6610

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I took my own advice and called VZW. I spoke to a technical support person.

She said she had not heard any issues regarding call quality.
She looked through her computer for issues and couldn't find anything.

She didn't offer any adjustments or setting tweaks just to send me a new phone.

When she checked the computer however there are no phones in the warehouse she said.

Not sure how that can be since you can order a new one but whatever. As soon as they get them back in stock she is going to send me a new one.

I don't have high hopes for anything different in the replacement but we shall see.

I have read a variety of posts across the net saying when they release the Froyo update the Gps fix will include the sidetone fix.
At this point noone knows for sure which is very frustrating.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Rackness

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
I am so glad that i do not have the side tone issue. it would pop-up from time to time on my dare and it was a pain in the butt. Hopefully there is a fix for those with issues in the near future. I really think this phone is great I wish everyone had the same experience. Well here is to resolved bugs.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk