lolreconlol

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
Coming from a BlackBerry, I really miss having a keyboard. Does anyone else find themselves unhappy with a virtual keyboard all the time? I wish Verizon had the Evo, it has that big screen AND a full keyboard. :( Will I get used to Swype, or should I just cut my losses and go back to a BB? It's not that Swype is bad, sometimes it really bothers me.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
No, don't go back to the BB! A virtual keyboard takes some time to get used to, but once you do you won't miss the BB at all. Try switching to the default Android keyboard. Just long press in the text area, and select Android Keyboard for the Input Method.

Also, check out some third party keyboards like SwiftKey. But give that stock Android keyboard a try first. And just keep practicing...

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
the Evo doesnt have a full keyboard. Thats the Epic.

I find myself getting used to Swype. Also, I rather like the android keyboard on this phone. I can type pretty fast, I like it alot better then my BB.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
go grab the captivate's keyboard from xda, it's blazingly fast (for me anyways)

i thought i would miss my hard keyboard when i first left blackberry for the droid 1. i think i used the hard keyboard on that like 10 times over the entire time i had it.

the nice thing about android is if you don't like the bundled keyboards, you have a handful of good options to choose from.

also, one of my favorite things about the captivate's keyboard is it can do auto substitutions

TripSixes

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
go grab the captivate's keyboard from xda, it's blazingly fast (for me anyways)

I'm confused, why would the captivate keyboard be different from the two that come on the fascinate by default? ? wouldn't the stock keyboard be the same on both phones?

via android tapatalk

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm confused, why would the captivate keyboard be different from the two that come on the fascinate by default? ? wouldn't the stock keyboard be the same on both phones?

via android tapatalk

no, the captivate (maybe the vibrant too, i'm not sure) has a keyboard that samsung made for it, it's designed more like the iphone's keyboard (as far as the key size is) but something about it makes it more accurate and much faster to type on compared to the android stock keyboard.

the only drawback i've found for it is that there is no voice input button, but i think i've used that like 3 times ever so it's no big deal to me.

here's a link to the zip you need (flash it in clockwork)

xda-developers - View Single Post - Captivate keyboard

sjenkins1009

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
That is great, but I am unable to download the link because it wants me to register and won't accept my anti spam answers even though they are correct. Any chance you can upload the file here for us to download?

TY

sbrissen

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I use the keyboard from www.gIMpSTa.com that someone posted.

The only issue I have with any of the keyboards is typing when the phone is vertical, the buttons are little too small for my fat fingers. I'm getting used to it now though and would never go back to a BB.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I love the stock keyboard on the fascinate better than a physical one! Actually this is the best keyboard i have used so far.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
That is great, but I am unable to download the link because it wants me to register and won't accept my anti spam answers even though they are correct. Any chance you can upload the file here for us to download?

TY

sure, here it is for your flashing enjoyment :p

just boot into clockwork and flash

Reactions: Cory Streater

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
no, the captivate (maybe the vibrant too, i'm not sure) has a keyboard that samsung made for it, it's designed more like the iphone's keyboard (as far as the key size is) but something about it makes it more accurate and much faster to type on compared to the android stock keyboard.

the only drawback i've found for it is that there is no voice input button, but i think i've used that like 3 times ever so it's no big deal to me.

here's a link to the zip you need (flash it in clockwork)

xda-developers - View Single Post - Captivate keyboard

Does your word suggestion box appear and reappear continuously? I desperately wanted this keyboard since day 1 of having the Fascinate, because of my experience with the one on the Vibrant, but I definitely don't remember it doing that all the time.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
yes, but there's options to turn it off. the option i turn off is the next word prediction, i find it's more trouble than its worth.

the auto substitution though is a feature i really missed from keyboards like better keyboard and my blackberry. being able to control how to input words makes things so much faster (ie: il = I'll, weel = we'll, etc)

TripSixes

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
anyone else besides me use swype? i love it

I loved swype on my touch pro 2.. and it's even better on this fascinate.

I haven't found a way to get rid of words that are in the swype db. (not the words I've added, but the ones in there from the beginning)

there are words that always seem to get chosen, even though I would NEVER use them.

via android tapatalk

Cayman996#AC

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Swype for me has been a real time saver... I've rarely had to "push" a key since I got the Fascinate. I had the Storm2 previously, and coming from that Swype or even an Android phone has been lightyears better. Give the keyboard and/or Swype a fair shot... it'll grow on you.

Melvil

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I've only been using it for 2 days, but I'm in love with swype. I've never been able to type this fast with any other keyboard, physical or not, and it's been super accurate for me.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
The speed is what I like about the Samsung keyboard. It just seems more responsive to key presses. That said, I think I'm sticking with Smart Keyboard Pro. It seems even better than the Samsung keyboard and just as responsive.

Regarding Swype: I spend more time correcting things than it's worth for me.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
The speed is what I like about the Samsung keyboard. It just seems more responsive to key presses. That said, I think I'm sticking with Smart Keyboard Pro. It seems even better than the Samsung keyboard and just as responsive.

Regarding Swype: I spend more time correcting things than it's worth for me.

hmm...maybe i should reinstall smart keyboard pro and see how it stacks up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech