Change primary gmail account?

ulfius#AC

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I purchased my Fascinate last night and when in the store the associate created and setup a gmail account for my phone. I asked her if I could switch it later, and she said yes.

Excited to get things setup and ready for today, I stayed up late installing apps and configuring everything. Then I went to change the gmail account to my regular account and remove the temporary one, and it tells me that I need to do a hard reset.

I tried clearing the gmail/google apps data like other posts I found on the issue suggested, but it still won't let me remove or change that first gmail account.

Am I screwed and need to wipe everything and stay up late tonight again, or is there a current way to switch primary gmail accounts?

TIA.

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
No your not screwed. All you need to do is go into Accounts and Sync. Select the google account and choose Remove Account Then while back in Accounts and Sync choose Add Account and add your new google account.

But because almost everything on these phones are tied to a google account you will loose your apps you downloaded and google contacts as they are related to the old google account.

I will test on my phone. Give me a minute.

Ok got it. I am adding screengrabs for you.

To remove the account go into Accounts and Sync then open the google account you should see this:

Gmail.jpg

Once there click the REMOVE ACCOUNT button. When you do that you should see this:

Removal.jpg

Now that you have removed it you can go back into Accounts and Sync and add the new GMAIL account as shown below by clicking the GOOGLE option:

Add.jpg

Hope this helps ya! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: bandn0224

ulfius#AC

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
After your second screen shot, I get another popup that says

"This account is required by some applications. You can only remove it by resetting the phone to factory defaults (which deletes all your personal data). You do that in the Settings application, under Privacy."

Pressing OK takes me back to your first screen shot.

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
So maybe not. Looks like you will have to restore to factory. Shouldent be too big a deal as you will lose your apps anyways if you switch to another google account because they are tied together. Only thing that you would lose that you normally would not with a account switch would be device settings.

Things you will lose even if you could switch to another account without a factory restore:

Contacts
Aps
Google Calendar
Picasa
Anything that requires a google account.

Reactions: ulfius#AC