1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Anyone with a Fascinate able to receive SMS Delivery Confirmations?

I have a new Samsung Fascinate. I have found that it cannot handle delivery confirmation of text messages. I am wondering if rooting the device will allow me to install anything that will be able to accept SMS delivery confirmations. Has anybody here gotten this to work?

To clarify: On every phone I've owned before this Fascinate, when I would send a text-message to another Verizon user, I would be able to clearly find whether or not the message was received by the other party's device AND even the time it arrived.

The Samsung Fascinate's default messaging app does not have this ability and when using Handcent, all messages remain with the status of "Pending", even when I have confirmed that they are actually received.

I called Verizon and asked a rep. He did two days worth of research and called me back to say that the Fascinate is missing that functionality and that he's sorry about that.

Is that really it? Is this Froyo update supposed to fix this? Can rooting fix this? I'm looking for any help from this community because I'm not getting anywhere talking to Verizon.

Thank you for reading this and any help you can provide!

- Chaim

The only problem with your story is that it's cool to bash blackberries and other smartphones with features like SMS delivery confirmation, and not cool to say "another android disappointment."

I am with you, I wish delivery confirmation were there but it's not. I doubt it's a hardware thing, samsung just didnt build it into the SMS code. But hey, you can load web pages REAL fast, amiright?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

@joebob2000: My problem with it is it's a basic functionality. It may be something that only a small percentage of the users even know about, but the ability to find when a message is received is a part of texting on Verizon and for a device to not acknowledge these delivery confirmations, it is missing functionality.

This is not "another android disappointment", but rather an opportunity for Android to shine if there exists a fix for this that comes from Android's community of developers. Rather than wait for Verizon or Samsung to issue an update filled with bloatware, I'd be very happy to find that on one of these forums somebody has figured out a way to get the Fascinate to acknowledge delivery reports. I have searched these and other forums and found no such fix which makes me think that it is either a hardware issue (not sure the details - maybe somebody can enlighten me), or a software issue that just has not been addressed officially.

I would really like to know - if I flash the ROM with one of the unofficial copies of Froyo out there, will that fix this?

Can anybody confirm that?

Quote Originally Posted by chaimpeck View Post
    @joebob2000: My problem with it is it's a basic functionality. It may be something that only a small percentage of the users even know about, but the ability to find when a message is received is a part of texting on Verizon and for a device to not acknowledge these delivery confirmations, it is missing functionality.

This is not "another android disappointment", but rather an opportunity for Android to shine if there exists a fix for this that comes from Android's community of developers. Rather than wait for Verizon or Samsung to issue an update filled with bloatware, I'd be very happy to find that on one of these forums somebody has figured out a way to get the Fascinate to acknowledge delivery reports. I have searched these and other forums and found no such fix which makes me think that it is either a hardware issue (not sure the details - maybe somebody can enlighten me), or a software issue that just has not been addressed officially.

I would really like to know - if I flash the ROM with one of the unofficial copies of Froyo out there, will that fix this?

Can anybody confirm that?
    What you are witnessing is the limits of android's "openness". I am trying not to be cynical but this is a perfect example of a niche feature that the "big picture" people at Samsung and probably even Google completely overlooked. Combine that with Verizon's tendency to lock their phones as much as possible and you are left hoping to turn water into wine to get a fix (i.e. you need an absolute miracle.) Here's hoping the froyo update does more than bundle in adobe flash 10.1.

I'm all for finding a fix. I thought I was the only one with this problem. I'm glad others have found this small annoyance to be well...an annoyance. If someone comes up with a fix PLEASE let us know.