1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How to turn off TouchWiz

I have a Samsung Fascinate and I really want the stock android on my phone. How do I turn off TouchWiz? Do I need to root or can this be done without rooting? I am a noob when it comes to that. I just want the plain Android...not TouchWiz, not Launcher Pro. Thanks in advance everyone

Quote Originally Posted by caneshockey1433 View Post
    I have a Samsung Fascinate and I really want the stock android on my phone. How do I turn off TouchWiz? Do I need to root or can this be done without rooting? I am a noob when it comes to that. I just want the plain Android...not TouchWiz, not Launcher Pro. Thanks in advance everyone
    weee..google!

not being a ****. I just wanted to type "weee google"
    Superstar Status

ROM
    AOKP M5 / Franco

That doesnt work on the Fascinate. That video was released before the Fascinate and the guy assumed you could just because it is also a Galaxy S device.

Your stuck with touchwiz. However you can get aftermarket launchers that resemble the stock launcher.

Personally I love LauncherPro+. ADW is decent. Just look around and I am sure you can find a suitable replacement.
    Look at your comment. Back to mine. Back to yours NOW BACK TO MINE. Sadly, it isn't mine. But if you stopped trolling and started posting useful replies it could LOOK like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through comments, finding the ones that your comment could look like. Back at mine, what is it? It's a highly effective counter-troll. Look again, MY COMMENT IS NOW DIAMONDS.Anything is possible when you think before you comment or post. Im on a computer.
    Thanked by 2:

+1 for LauncherPro+ (and pay the developer for the full version)
    ChrisVKlein:
    Twitter//My Blog
    -----------------------------
    Samsung Fascinate on Verizon
    27" iMac i5 2.8GHz Quad Core
    AT&T's Motto: We're not happy, until your not happy (originally heard from Scott Bourne on MBW-Twit Network)
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Yea I have LauncherPro+ and it works fine I guess...I just miss having the plain stock Android ya know? It is a google phone and I want that experience! I loved how the Droid was plain android but now it seems everyone has to make an aftermarket UI. What is wrong with plain Android? Some people say it is boring but I personally think it looks professional (unlike TouchWiz with all the colors)

Thank you everyone for the help and not jumping on me if someone else has already asked.

i can honestly understand where your coming from. i wish there was actually a Nexus One on verizon.. i would pay full price for that... i would also have 2.2 already.
    ChrisVKlein:
    Twitter//My Blog
    AT&T's Motto: We're not happy, until your not happy (originally heard from Scott Bourne on MBW-Twit Network)
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisvklein View Post
    i can honestly understand where your coming from. i wish there was actually a Nexus One on verizon.. i would pay full price for that... i would also have 2.2 already.
    Exactly...while I like Sense UI and TouchWiz for what they are...there should be an option to let users go back to Stock Android if they desire. Isnt that what open source is about? Choice? I dunno, I just love the G2 (and Nexus) because it is a pure google phone! The Galaxy S devices are nice as well but give the users some preference.
    Superstar Status

ROM
    AOKP M5 / Franco

If you feel like trying you can make LauncherPro look really professional. What I did was get the Fascinate's plain grey dock background and apply it to my LP dock as the background. I use all my work stuff like exchange, Jorte, Messaging, phone, and contacts. You can tweak Launcher Pro so much. Thats why I love it.

ADW Launcher

That is pretty close to stock. Simple and clean. Quick too. ton's of customization options, is light on system resources, Free on the Market, and is open source software. That's a whole lot of plusses right there. It's also themeable, supports scrolling widgets, and comes in both a Market version as well as a stock replacement version (as found in CyanogenMod 6). Out of the box it looks pretty bland, but once you take the time to set it up you can really call it your own.

Check this out too:

There is also TagHome: This one looks just like stock. It has extra icons with the drawer tab but I think you can remove those.
    Last edited by DroidDev; 10-27-2010 at 10:44 AM.
    Look at your comment. Back to mine. Back to yours NOW BACK TO MINE. Sadly, it isn't mine. But if you stopped trolling and started posting useful replies it could LOOK like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through comments, finding the ones that your comment could look like. Back at mine, what is it? It's a highly effective counter-troll. Look again, MY COMMENT IS NOW DIAMONDS.Anything is possible when you think before you comment or post. Im on a computer.
    Thanked by 2:

I completely understand where your are coming from in regards to wanting a professional look for your phone. But I do like to have fun (colors) when I want. The following solved it for me. I am using LauncherPro (purchased), SettingsProfile (also purchased). This is how I set it up.

First I removed all the widgets from Touchwiz, then set LauncherPro as the main launcher. Then I setup some profiles using SettingsProfile with the below settings. I have rules setup so that when I am home my home profile is set, and when I am at work my work profile (which has a more "professional" look) is set.

For Work:
    I have a very clean black and white background;
    main LauncherPro icons black and white
    lock screen set to pattern
    volume patterns set to medium/low -being considerate I work in a team room environment
    screen brightness set to 65%

For Home:
    I have a different colorful background
    main LauncherPro icons black and white
    lock screen set to simple puzzle
    volume patterns set to MAX - I want to hear the phone when cutting grass
    screen brightness set to 95%
    Thanked by:
    Lyman1 
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

is there anyway to at least get the stock android icons and replace the touchwiz ones?

Not that I'm aware of...
    ChrisVKlein:
    Twitter//My Blog