Gps status app

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded gps status out of the market and wanted to know how it works. I read that it helps with the gps lock but wasn't sure how to use it. Do I have to keep it running or use some type of settings so it stays on. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

NOsquid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
What works for people in that app as far as I know is hitting "reset" or "cold start" in the settings which deletes the cache data. Also downloading the latest aGPS data (which is found in the same menu as the reset). You can set it to download the aGPS data every X hours but you have to manually delete the cache.

You can also try this without the app:

Long press homescreen > shortcut > activities. Select GpsSetup (the first one under GpsSetup). Click the shortcut that appears on your homescreen. Setup > position mode. Set starting mode set to cold start.

I think you need 3G service for this. I toggle my GPS on/off using the power control widget when I need it (you can just do it in your pull-down notification bar menu). So it gets that cold start every time. For other stuff I leave Google location checked which is accurate enough for local web searches etc..

Last edited:

Destination Moon

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I also kill Launcher Pro with the built in Task Manager before launching GPS Status. I think it helps too. That said, the other day it took 4 minutes of staring at the thing before I got a lock. It still needs a real fix!!

emptycube

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded gps status out of the market and wanted to know how it works. I read that it helps with the gps lock but wasn't sure how to use it. Do I have to keep it running or use some type of settings so it stays on. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
I wouldn't leave it running as it is a battery hog. Once I get a lock I get instant locks for a while anyway (even if I reboot the phone).

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
i like the "gps test" from chartcross (in the market). I have noticed that for some reason (probably verizon being ***holes) google maps is sometimes super slow to get a lock, especially if i havent used it for a day or two. If it takes more than about 5 seconds to lock, i will just jump out of maps, open up gps test, and it will lock in after maybe 10 to 15 seconds and then if i switch back to google maps it will also have a perfect lock. If i dont start gps test, google maps will take several minutes. I would consider this a possible glitch in google maps (hey, maybe the recent update has something in there about it)...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21