View Poll Results: What new phone would you get?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Droid Inc

2 3.64%
  • Droid X

5 9.09%
  • Droid 2

2 3.64%
  • HTC Merge

2 3.64%
  • Waiting for bigger and better

10 18.18%
  • Other Carrier (than big red)

1 1.82%
  • Rumored Droid Inc HD

10 18.18%
  • NO WAY! I love my Fascinate dude!!

23 41.82%
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Post If you had/want to trade in your fascinate what would you get?

just curious

ROM
    Stock Deodexed Froyo

The Merge, but I got my Fascinate on launch and idk what they did in terms of my contract so I have no idea when I'm even eligible for an upgrade. The Fascinate is my baby for quite awhile, whether I like it or not. (But the novelty hasn't worn off yet.)
    My Smartphone Journey on Big Red:
    Motorola Droid --> Motorola Droid 2 --> Samsung Fascinate --> iPhone 4S --> Samsung Galaxy S4

Rumored: htc incredible hd
    Current: probably the x, don't care for physical keyboards. Dinc is to small for me.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    4,851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

I picked up the Fascinate a few weeks ago, and returned it for the DX. Now I am a point where I am unsure if the DX is really going to carry me where I want to go (buyers/exchangers remorse). So I am taking my DX back to BBMobile and will ride it out a few weeks to see what comes of the Dinc HD. I have high hopes, but realistically Verizon would delay/kill/or it was never to be.

I have the same question as you, what is worth getting out of the current bunch? If the Fascinate had Froyo 2.2 already I would be more inclined, but waiting for patches (not just the OS update) to fix a phone that should not take forever and a day. Verizon needs to keep their phones in lock step and not let this lag behind.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor007 View Post
    I picked up the Fascinate a few weeks ago, and returned it for the DX. Now I am a point where I am unsure if the DX is really going to carry me where I want to go (buyers/exchangers remorse). So I am taking my DX back to BBMobile and will ride it out a few weeks to see what comes of the Dinc HD. I have high hopes, but realistically Verizon would delay/kill/or it was never to be.

I have the same question as you, what is worth getting out of the current bunch? If the Fascinate had Froyo 2.2 already I would be more inclined, but waiting for patches (not just the OS update) to fix a phone that should not take forever and a day. Verizon needs to keep their phones in lock step and not let this lag behind.
    I only pose this question because I have a few gripes with the Fascinate:

-I missed a very important call in the morning because the phone was acting like it was in airplane mode (missed a bunch of calls and couldn't send receive texts either) although it most certainly was NOT on airplane mode. *This is an extremely rare glitch that I have not seen in this forum or most others, it could possibly be just my phone.

-Although the GPS actually isn't that horrible it still managed to lose me more than on my previous phone (moto Droid missing froyo)

-Crappy battery life...I've heard that this phone has better battery life than the INC and I've heard of people being able to go two days without a charge; I still find I have to plug it in at least twice a day just to avoid a dead battery. *I have not rooted and debloated or debinged it either because I'm still in the trial period and am still considered trading it back. I've read that the rooting and debloating helps extend the battery life by aprox 70%

If this was all fixed with froyo I might be more tempted to stay, but I feel like Samsung's reputation for their long delayed updates combined with the feeling that Verizon isn't pushing this phone that hard (no commercials or specials like INC and D2) makes me feel like it's going to get major neglect in the update department...

Quote Originally Posted by str8ballin81 View Post

If this was all fixed with froyo I might be more tempted to stay, but I feel like Samsung's reputation for their long delayed updates combined with the feeling that Verizon isn't pushing this phone that hard (no commercials or specials like INC and D2) makes me feel like it's going to get major neglect in the update department...
    I like how the D2 is getting *another* update from VZ, while us with the fascinate have this huge list of issues. What a kick in the balls. I am going to root it and de-bloat the hell out of the thing and maybe, just maybe, my problems (crappy battery life, AIM that constantly crashes, annoying paid apps everywhere) will go away. Still won't fix the worthless ambient light sensor (always runs the screen too bright unless I'm under direct noon day sunlight)...

I'm curious to see what Samsung has up it's sleeve for the Nexus Two. Still a big rumor but it might be cool. I'll hold on to the Fascinate for a while though. It's a great little phone that does everything i need it to. I'm waiting on Froyo but hoping we get Gingerbread too. If the Moment is still getting patches a year later I think we will too.

My next big purchase will probably be the Tab. Hoping that WiFi one is real because that would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by str8ballin81 View Post
    this is my only fear with this phone... is that it's not either popular enough or that samsung and vzw will drag their feet getting updates out with this phone. also, I notice that there aren't quite as many ROMs and such out for this phone.

Oh I thought of two more: 1) missed a ton of bank account balance update emails thanks to gmail "forgetting" to sync even though sync was "enabled" and i was getting email in my OWA inbox... (a reboot magically fixed it) 2) tons of doubled up SMS messages on the sending and receiving side.

Sorry to turn this into a wine and cheese fest, but. Hell, no i'm not, the fascinate has a ton of glitches. Some of them huge. I am pretty sure I am either talking myself out of the fascinate or out of android in general (blackberry, for all it's gripes, did NOT let this **** happen).

Quote Originally Posted by joebob2000 View Post
    Oh I thought of two more: 1) missed a ton of bank account balance update emails thanks to gmail "forgetting" to sync even though sync was "enabled" and i was getting email in my OWA inbox... (a reboot magically fixed it) 2) tons of doubled up SMS messages on the sending and receiving side.

Sorry to turn this into a wine and cheese fest, but. Hell, no i'm not, the fascinate has a ton of glitches. Some of them huge. I am pretty sure I am either talking myself out of the fascinate or out of android in general (blackberry, for all it's gripes, did NOT let this **** happen).
    sounds like you should return your phone and get something else...

I'm happy with my fascinate, just hope that updates to this phone come at a decent pace.

Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    ROM
    Blackhole

The only other phone I would try would be the droid x.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

I'm just waiting for the Iphone to be on Verizon!

I had an Iphone years ago with AT&T and in my area they just do not get very good service. I hate to say this but the Iphone was the only phone that I did not have to completely redo the phone and os and change everything to make it run right.

I was so sick of Blackberry and all the battery pulls and the network blocking up so I switched to Droid X and after the 2.2 update it got really buggy for me. I then switched to a Fascinate which I like pretty well. I don't like the lag I get sometime but nothing I can't deal with. I'm just tired of getting phones that require all of this tweeking just to make it right.

Quote Originally Posted by coltsbr View Post
    I'm just waiting for the Iphone to be on Verizon!

I had an Iphone years ago with AT&T and in my area they just do not get very good service. I hate to say this but the Iphone was the only phone that I did not have to completely redo the phone and os and change everything to make it run right.

I was so sick of Blackberry and all the battery pulls and the network blocking up so I switched to Droid X and after the 2.2 update it got really buggy for me. I then switched to a Fascinate which I like pretty well. I don't like the lag I get sometime but nothing I can't deal with. I'm just tired of getting phones that require all of this tweeking just to make it right.
    that's what I would say is one of the biggest strengths of android, that you can customize it to however you want your phone to be. you can't quite do that with an iphone, can ya? the iphone is a fine device, no doubt, but I like the fact that I can customize my phone to my liking instead of being stuck on one config.

ROM
    MIUI / GlitchMV

The rumored Incredible HD and Nexus 2 look pretty hot. However, I love my Fascinate despite it's flaws and I got her for a penny on Amazon so i'm not complaining.

The Fascinate works great! No need to change devices plus a newer and better phone will always be on the horizon so why keep changing. This phone has been the best android device so far for me and I have had quite a few of them.
    Don't forge to vote! Your vote counts!
    Support thr 9-12 Project

ROM
    Stock Deodexed Froyo

I don't have the money to switch phones until I upgrade anyway. I had to get a new contract with this puppy so that means I'm not eligible until maybe the summer of next year. Not really thinking about it. I just rooted mine and am waiting for ROMs with 2.2.
    My Smartphone Journey on Big Red:
    Motorola Droid --> Motorola Droid 2 --> Samsung Fascinate --> iPhone 4S --> Samsung Galaxy S4

Quote Originally Posted by jackmei2 View Post
    sounds like you should return your phone and get something else...

I'm happy with my fascinate, just hope that updates to this phone come at a decent pace.
    Believe me, that thought is in the back of my mind. If I could get a BB with the thinness and touchscreen like the Fascinate, and swype, I would do it even if i were stuck with the BBOS 5.0 slow-as-snot browser and the limited selection of apps. For now, the fascinate has the form factor and features I like but I just swear to myself every time i realize Google (or samsung or verizon or whoever) decided to wuss out on making it a *productive* phone instead of just a super-*******-shiny phone. We don't need to reinvent the iPhone, we need the work ethic of a blackberry in a polished exterior. Android is failing on both accounts (for now). I am with you in hoping the updates come soon and in full.

Quote Originally Posted by joebob2000 View Post
    Believe me, that thought is in the back of my mind. If I could get a BB with the thinness and touchscreen like the Fascinate, and swype, I would do it even if i were stuck with the BBOS 5.0 slow-as-snot browser and the limited selection of apps. For now, the fascinate has the form factor and features I like but I just swear to myself every time i realize Google (or samsung or verizon or whoever) decided to wuss out on making it a *productive* phone instead of just a super-*******-shiny phone. We don't need to reinvent the iPhone, we need the work ethic of a blackberry in a polished exterior. Android is failing on both accounts (for now). I am with you in hoping the updates come soon and in full.
    try taking it back to vzw and get a new fascinate and see if that works. I know you are having trouble with gmail and such, so it might be something up with your phone, so see if a new one would work better. gmail works fine for me... my yahoo email, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by jackmei2 View Post
    try taking it back to vzw and get a new fascinate and see if that works. I know you are having trouble with gmail and such, so it might be something up with your phone, so see if a new one would work better. gmail works fine for me... my yahoo email, not so much.
    It's not a re-creatable problem, just one that happened to emerge the first and only time at the worst possible moment (i was traveling and relying on email via the phone for alerts). I wish I could prove it was a hardware flaw but if I take it back and wait another month for it to happen again what good will that do me?