C'mon Already!

gavram

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
C'mon Verizon/Samsung...let's hurry this up! I'm getting impatient waiting for updates for the Fascinate. All this news about 2.3 and 3.0 coming up and we're still stuck on 2.1. I get it...the phone is new...these things take time...it'll be here before you know it...the developers are working hard...blah, blah, blah.

My Droid 1 was on Froyo this summer so this OS seems like a downgrade even though the phone is new. Also, my tolerance for the lag, GPS, etc issues is getting lower by the week. I really like this phone...now get your butts in gear on some updates so that I can love it! I paid $0 for this phone at BB and I want my money's worth! (or something like that ;))

That being said, I am excited for the future of this phone. The fact that it's not as locked down as the new Droid's should be great for future mods. If I have a concern it's whether this phone will have enough RAM available to run 3.0.

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I agree. I'm frustrated that my DROID back in like, June had 2.2 and the terrible D2 I ended up trading for had 2.2, and I bought a brand new phone with 2.1. I just hope that we got ALL of these updates- 2.2, then 2.3, then 3.0. Because I don't want our phone to be behind. I want access to ROMs that other phones get. :)

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
I cannot get a clear picture of what has been promised as improvments in 2.2.... GPS fix, new gmail app, SD card for apps.. I guess if it would auto-debloat and de-Bing.. I would be more excited and eager.

I have come off a Blackberry with NO new OS upgrades in a year.. and no new features.
Guess if I get bored waiting I will install and try out different apps.. way more available (free) in this market than anything offered via Blackberry..

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
samsung is not the best company to look at when it comes to support. we'll get the update, but don't hold your breath.

keep in mind some other unlucky people are still stuck with 1.6.

i just hope we get it before something new and shiny comes out and i go buy that. :p

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious what real improvements 2.2 offers? I've read about Gingerbread (now 2.3?) focusing on the UI, which would be interesting to see, but the only thing I see mentioned about 2.2 is the JIT compiler thing, which supposedly promises speed improvements. To be honest, though, this phone seems pretty snappy even with 2.1, so will we really see a measurable difference with 2.2?

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Right now I am without a smartphone which really sux. I had the Fascinate, returned it for the DX and returned that on rumors of the Dinc HD replacement coming.

I like the Fascinate, but Samsung doesn't have the best track record of ROM updates (my personal experience) and GPS issues, battery life, lag. Its not like this is the first version of the Galaxy S to be out, it was towards the end if not last. So why are we still waiting for 2.2? Will the US market get 2.3 instead which could compound the delays.

I get the overlay crap bloat, but how about making it an App you add on and integrate instead of building into the OS so we can all just get what we want, STOCK AOSP OS.

gavram

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious what real improvements 2.2 offers? I've read about Gingerbread (now 2.3?) focusing on the UI, which would be interesting to see, but the only thing I see mentioned about 2.2 is the JIT compiler thing, which supposedly promises speed improvements. To be honest, though, this phone seems pretty snappy even with 2.1, so will we really see a measurable difference with 2.2?

I found that 2.2 on my Droid 1 provided better battery life, app storage on SD card, auto update of apps, better MS Exchange email support, & Adobe flash/air support. I'm sure there were a number of other enhancements as well but these stick out.

I also agree with the other comment regarding an AOSP option...all Android phones should provide an option to go stock if the user prefers (which I do).

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
flash, JIT, apps on the sd card are some of the big things in 2.2

2.2 was a behind the scenes kind of update as to what changed, where with 2.3 we should be able to see more changes.

the fascinate being one of the last of the current gen galaxy s phones as well as being on the most nitpicky carriers (when it comes to updates) means we're probably going to be the last to get the official update.

i'm really hoping for a leak so devs can get their hands on the kernel and get us some aosp froyo.

as for UI overlays, there's been rumors that what you guys are asking for might be the way google allows for those things in future versions. but my guess as to the earliest implementation of that would be honeycomb or ice cream.

i kind of like the way MS has pushed the overlays into a hub with wp7.

anon(40232)

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I hope they hurry up. I've been holding off on things like Launcher Pro and de-bloating it since I want the update to be smooth. I know I can do that now, but I don't want to have to undo it all potentially a week later for the update. But that week will probably still be months... :(

JeremytheIndian

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Launcher Pro won't hurt anything and niether will installing the Enhanced Google Search APK. That's all i've done because I don't want mess things up. But from one newbie to another Launcher Pro and the APK are great.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I hope they hurry up. I've been holding off on things like Launcher Pro and de-bloating it since I want the update to be smooth. I know I can do that now, but I don't want to have to undo it all potentially a week later for the update. But that week will probably still be months... :(

I wouldn't hold off. I had the same philosophy as you, but from what others say Samsung is slow to get updates out, and Verizon even slower after they get it. I couldn't wait anymore and rooted/de-bloated last week.

gizmo

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
Samsung...

Couldn't get the stock email app to send me notifications. Spent 3 hrs on the phone with verizon going through all their methods to try to fix it.. including hard factory reset (at one point waited 20 mins in the hopes of receiving an email notification). Finally transferred me over to Samsung tech support and the lady's response was, "I guess it's not working.. go to android market and look for an email application that will work for you. Anything else I can help you with today?"

So yea.. totally cool with the fact that the email app wasn't functioning the way its supposed to and told me the whole reason for android market was so that when their apps don't work you can find ones that do (almost laughed when she said that).

Anywho.. bit of a rant here.. but TLDR: My expectations are pretty low atm.

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
So yea.. totally cool with the fact that the email app wasn't functioning the way its supposed to and told me the whole reason for android market was so that when their apps don't work you can find ones that do (almost laughed when she said that).

That was pretty much Verizon's response to the issues I raised with my first phone - if an app/feature isn't working, go to the market to find one that does. It's definitely an attitude that tarnishes Android's image. It's one thing for a third party app that someone installs to not work correctly, but if something is pre-installed or a stock component, it's absurd for the carrier/manufacturer to say "Oh, yea, that's broken, go find a 3rd party app instead...".

Fortunately, I haven't had any issues with my replacement phone.

But on the topic of waiting for 2.2, personally, I'm fine with my phone being rooted and likely to fail the OTA update. I've heard many reports of updates creating more problems than they solve, and considering my phone is working just fine, I'll happily wait a month or two to make sure 2.2 is working smoothly before updating.

Fappy Jones

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Lp+ is great and so is the enhanced google apk. Rooting your phone and de-bloating can all be undone fairly easily when we get 2.2, which I'll bet will either be the end of this month or mid Dec.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Lp+ is great and so is the enhanced google apk. Rooting your phone and de-bloating can all be undone fairly easily when we get 2.2, which I'll bet will either be the end of this month or mid Dec.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Ohhhh a betting man.. So are you setting the criteria for this 'bet' at a 15 day window for the arrival of 2.2?:p