New to Android and androidcentral!!!

bballschmidt23

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys I'm new to the whole Android thing here as I've had my Pre since the release of it last year but my girlfriend ordered her Fascinate yesterday and I was wondering where do I get started? What's the best patches/hacks to use for it? Whats everyone's favorite app's? Just trying to get a little walk around of what to do and what to get when it arrives tomorrow so we can start playing with it right away :)

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Welcome!

If you are comfortable with hacking your phone somewhat, there is a great thread here: http://forum.androidcentral.com/fascinate-roms-hacks/33899-how-root.html on how to root your phone. I would start there and remove all the bloatware Verizon installs. Some people have an issue with Bing being on the phone, so you'll find some work-arounds on this forum for that.

The next thing is to decide if you like the Samsung TouchWiz UI. I happen to like it, but also run LauncherPro sometimes. Check out the thread on Samsung Fascinate Screen Shots to see what others have done using LauncherPro or ADW. Pretty cool stuff.

I don't have 1 favorite app, but I would recommend AppBrain. It's an easy way to manage your apps, and basically keep a "backup" of them if you even need to install them on a new device.

Hope this helps! I'm sure others will chime in as well.

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
before you do anything, make sure you update the phone first by going to settings=>About Phone=>System Updates which should update it to Build DI01.

and welcome!

Ytaay

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
my new Sammy FASN8 is charging up right now! Can't wait. (sorry, this post is mainly to help get my first 5 out of the way).

Thanks to above and future belows for all advice as I'm new to Android as well.

Ytaay

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
been perusing this site for a few weeks and i find to be "par excellANT" ('scuse my French). Jeezus i cant wait to get my Android on. been stuck in BBStorm hell for 2 yrs. Ugh. But it was my first data smartphone and my first touchscreen, so it was awesome at the time.

boy alot has changed in the last 2 yrs.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Another thing I would recommend doing first is using Clockwork Mod to create a stock back-up that you can use if you ever need to return to its original state

Ytaay

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
another self serving comment: apologies...

for what its worth, i am a Vzw guy cuz of the network, and i had to get an Android, so for me it was down to Droid X or Fasn8.

I chose Fasn8 for the nice size and superior graphics, basically. The Bing issue didnt bother me at all because i plan on rooting post haste and that is a correctable software issue. In mind, ya gotta make the decision ultimately on the hardware, not the software.

Ytaay

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Another thing I would recommend doing first is using Clockwork Mod to create a stock back-up that you can use if you ever need to return to its original state
good advice, thanks!:cool:

understand Titanium backup is a must too - does that do the same thing as Clockwork Mod?