Verizon Software Update Fail

geoandroiddaddy

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
So I tried to manually search for an update on the ABOUT PHONE section on my Fascinate. I was hoping FroYo would be available, or at least an update for the HORRIBLE GPS Glitch that doesnt lock for 5 minutes.

Well anyway, I downloaded the update and the phone restarted as it was going to install, I received a pop up which read the following:

UPDATE FAILED OR INCOMPLETE DUE TO REASON:
IP_PREVIOUS_UPDATE_FAILED

Anyone know how to bypass or fix this?
Thanks in advance!

Can it be due to my Rooting of the phone?

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Do you have Clockwork recovery flashed? Having that recovery will prevent the update from installing. If that's the case, you can either reflash the stock recovery, or download and apply the unsigned update (attached) using Clockwork.

geoandroiddaddy

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Do you have Clockwork recovery flashed? Having that recovery will prevent the update from installing. If that's the case, you can either reflash the stock recovery, or download and apply the unsigned update (attached) using Clockwork.

Wow lol you lost me. I am kind of a newbie. I TRIED to use clockwork once to unbrick my phone , but it never happened. I fixed it using the odin restore. How would I install the "Apply unsigned update" file you atteched?

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I too tried the update and it failed the first time. Seems it didn't work since my system/app folder had files missing because I moved them to sdcard/junk. Copied them back and tried again. Worked but its not Froyo. :( Im still rooted so thankfully that didnt effect it. I don't remember off the top of my head what my baseband and kernel were before I did it but I'm at DI01 and 2.6.29 now. If anyone thinks this is different let me know.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
OK so after my last post I went to move all my junk files back the the SD card and it appears I'm no longer rooted. Any apps I have that require it no longer work. I still have the super user app and can launch that fine. Even shows the other apps that require root to have access.Going to play with it some more and post back...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Reinstalled the once click root from This Post and all is right again. Just finished moving all my junk files back to the sd card. :) Still don't see any changes that the update made though so I wouldn't worry about it. Just spent an hour jumping through hoops for nothing.

gcims

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
worked with a friends Fascinate to update. Failed multiple times even after factory resets and wipe of SD card. Spoke with Verizon tech support and they report about 5,000 units have hardware incompatibility with this update and after checking serial numbers on his and his wife and kids, his needs replacing. They are shipping him a new unit to swap out. Not sure if this is VZWs fast=easy=cheap fix and he was BS-ing me or if your methods going deep into the file system would fix this. BUT, at least we know its not the down load being corrupted, that he is not alone with this problem, and they are giving him a new phone with out any hassle. Hope this info helps.

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
That was for the most current official update, DI01. If you've made changes to your phones system in certain ways, the verification step of the installation for an OTA update will fail. It's just easier to flash an update via CWM if you have trouble getting them OTA versus putting everything back to the way it was, updating, then back again.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
It's still Android 2.1, DI01 is the Build number. Settings > About Phone

You will see Firmware Version is 2.1-update1

Build Number SCH-I500.DI01

brandonx1000

rule the air.
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
i work for VZW...10,000 Fascinates have a software problem that don't let them update

if you have one that fails (usually at 10%), take it to VZW