Will Verizon Let You Return Fascinate?

tabcourt

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
Because of the much-discussed email sync problem that neither Verizon nor Samsung seems to be unable to explain or fix. I am about 3 weeks past the 30-day return limit. Plus, given that this is a very bad problem (after all, how important is a properly-functioning email system?) why should we be subject to the $35 return fee? Anybody try to return their phone yet?

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
Verizon will stick to their guns most likely. If you are past 30 days they will exchange it for you. Multiple exchanges and they may allow you a new device choice. But they have gotten pretty tight on all of that.

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
The email sync problem is annoying. My gmail rarely syncs. I have to open it and refresh it. Aggravating, but there's nothing I can do about it. Most likely, since you're past the 30 days they won't let you exchange your phone without a fee (unless your phone gets bricked), so, sorry dude.

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
I don't have a Fascinate - so excuse my "ignorance" to this issue, but if the gmail app is not working would you be able to add your gmail account as an exchange account and use the Email app instead?

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
It's certainly frustrating that some accounts have such problems, considering others have no problems at all. The thing I would consider is setting up IMAP or POP for the gmail account to see if that worked better. The thing that stinks to high heaven about such tight Gmail integration is that there is no such thing as Gmail support; it's free and you get what you pay for.

Drootz

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Because of the much-discussed email sync problem that neither Verizon nor Samsung seems to be unable to explain or fix. I am about 3 weeks past the 30-day return limit. Plus, given that this is a very bad problem (after all, how important is a properly-functioning email system?) why should we be subject to the $35 return fee? Anybody try to return their phone yet?

You could always print out that internal Verizon memo that lists "known issues" with the fascinate. It was posted on the blog here sometime around when the phone came out.

I am sure that would provide some heavy arguement ammo if you show them there own memo which lists your issue since the day the phone was released and them not doing a thing to fix it.....

My experience is The yahoo accounts on my phone don't sync unless I manually do it. The yahoo app fixed it but it's annoying I can't use the stock email function. Have tried re-installing email accounts and changeing sync intervals but nothing works. My wife has the same issues with her fascinate (bogo) This is really annoying that you can't get your email on your "Smartphone" which is the main reason for owning one. But I have never had any issues with gmail always worked great for me.

Some users fwd their yahoo accounts to come through gmail to get their yahoo mail. Or load k-9 or maildroid (I think)

I too have been tempted to take mine back and I am after my 30 days as well but this email thing is just B.S. that is a basic essential service to a smartphone and should have been fixed the first week!

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
When did this start? I just noticed it acting up recently. I hadn't had this problem before two or three days ago. Other than that gmail has been fine.

cptncrnch

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
Doubt they will let u you return it...once its past the 30 days they will only swap it for a Certified Pre Owned device...they will tell u that u had 30 days to decide if you wanted it, if its past that then u are SOL, unless u want to buy a different device at full retail

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Trust me "Certified PreOwned" is BS. At least with Motorola it is. None of my replacements EVER worked. Maximum amount of time before my refurbished phones broke was 2 days.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Doubt they will let u you return it...once its past the 30 days they will only swap it for a Certified Pre Owned device...they will tell u that u had 30 days to decide if you wanted it, if its past that then u are SOL, unless u want to buy a different device at full retail

It might not be a 100% loss; given that interest in the Fascinate is still pretty high, if you keep the phone and packaging in mint condition you could resell it for $300+ and take the money and buy a different phone. It's a worst case scenario in my opinion, but if it comes to that don't just throw the thing away.

mstr_pixel

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Are you using the email app that came with the fascinate to get your gmail? I had the same problem with my gmail and my comcast mail. The microsoft exchange account I set up for my work email worked fine. So I downloaded the gmail app from the market and it works fine. For my comcast mail I downloaded a K9 from the market and it works fine also. So now I have a seperate app for each of my email accounts which is maybe a little less convenient but it works fine.

xgunther

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
If I purchased the phone at a Best Buy, can I still head over to a Verizon store to swap it for a (hopefully) non-dysfunctional Fascinate?

brandonx1000

rule the air.
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
If I purchased the phone at a Best Buy, can I still head over to a Verizon store to swap it for a (hopefully) non-dysfunctional Fascinate?

after 30 days, you can take it to any verizon store for service and replacements within 1 year

now just remember, its a recertified device...i would hold out until 2.2 hits it to see if it fixes your issue

xgunther

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm holding out Brandon! But my palms are getting sweaty and I'm slipping. Froyo is taking entirely too long to be certified and pushed out to us. Sad face.

brandonx1000

rule the air.
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm holding out Brandon! But my palms are getting sweaty and I'm slipping. Froyo is taking entirely too long to be certified and pushed out to us. Sad face.

Well, I'm retiring my X for the Fascinate tomorrow. I work for VZW and I find it is the least returned Android device. The only downside is that it's 2.1. I just hate the X.

The good thing is that I have an upgrade now, 1 in Feb, and 3 in May. I just want a device to hold me over until 4G. I was holding out for the Inc HD or Merge, but we won't see them until next year.

If you have any other issues, just PM me. I'll answer what I can for you.

Clak

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I had no idea there was an gmail sync problem, I just noticed mine hasn't been syncing this week. Downloaded K9 to see if it would work better.

At least my GPS works pretty well.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Trust me "Certified PreOwned" is BS. At least with Motorola it is. None of my replacements EVER worked. Maximum amount of time before my refurbished phones broke was 2 days.

I had a couple moto refurbished units, my experiance is polar opposite of yours.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Well, I'm retiring my X for the Fascinate tomorrow. I work for VZW and I find it is the least returned Android device. The only downside is that it's 2.1. I just hate the X.

The good thing is that I have an upgrade now, 1 in Feb, and 3 in May. I just want a device to hold me over until 4G. I was holding out for the Inc HD or Merge, but we won't see them until next year.

If you have any other issues, just PM me. I'll answer what I can for you.

lol........so glad you are open minded, for VZW customers sake.