Edit Built-in Dictionary

Plinkie

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
ok.. so I'm using swype to ask my wife "what's for dinner"

but it sent "what's for donner".. I love swype and I love how it

finds the right word from the dictionary.

I know you can add words to the user dictionary.

but I would like to delete words from the built in dictionary.

like "donner" .. I'm pretty sure I will never say the word "donner" on purpose..

I am rooted.

Cuda52774

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
To remove a word from the Swype dictionary:

1. Highlight the word you want to delete.
  2. Press the Swype key.
  3. Confirm.

This only works for words you've added to the dictionary. You cannot remove words that were in the phone originally. Swype is aware of the problem but doesn't have an easy fix. It does suck but they say it will require a major overhaul for future versions. Nothing they can do about present versions.

Source: FAQ at swype.com.

Cuda

anon(109164)

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I'd love this as well, especially with contractions, many of which aren't in the built-in Android dictionary. Surprised no one's found a way to edit this yet, but lots of searching hasn't come up with anything yet...

pythagorous

May 19, 2011
Visit site
i've done a lot of googling on this as well and have decided it's not possible.

however, i'm looking at an app called "smart keyboard pro"
User's Guide
https://market.android.com/details?id=net.cdeguet.smartkeyboardpro

Another very powerful feature of the keyboard is the custom AutoText. An AutoText is a shortcut which will replace any typed word (or even a single letter) with something else. You need to go to the keyboard settings to define your own AutoText shortcuts. You can use AutoText for many things:

- replace "u" by "you", or "cu" by "see you later" for instance

- create a signature for your emails (you can even put carriage returns in an autotext)

- insert the current date, with the "%d" macro (see details below for available macros)

- correct common typos, for instance you can replace "food" by "good" (the dictionary algorithm will never do that automatically otherwise, as "food" is a valid word"). It can be seen as a way of removing words from the builtin dictionary. You can even set up a custom autotext to replace "lol" by "lol", which will prevent auto-correction of "lol" to "LOL".

So this sounds like it would replace a word like "donner" with "dinner" automatically. I might try this out... I'm reluctant to change my keyboard and stuff just for this one feature however

edit: I thought you could use this in conjunction with Swype but this app is only for T9. It's misleading because this app has a function called "Swipe" where you swipe your fingers but this isn't to select letters; it's just to make a gesture that performs an action... honestly I went from a phone that was so archaic (military grade phone) to this phone so I've never even used T9 and will stick w/ swype...

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995