Where's Froyo for the Fascinate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xgunther

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
That's all fine and dandy. But some of us can't afford to upgrade to a new phone every 6 months, or even a year.

The point that I'm trying to make is that we purchased a heavily subsidized phone, and don't want to see it tossed aside. Its an amazing phone but it seems that even the original Droid is getting way more attention.

For me, I understand thay froyo will not bring amazing new things to the table, but its the principle. I just bought this thing a month and a half ago and feel like we're being left in the dust.

via Tapatalk on my Fascinate

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
That's all fine and dandy. But some of us can't afford to upgrade to a new phone every 6 months, or even a year.

The point that I'm trying to make is that we purchased a heavily subsidized phone, and don't want to see it tossed aside. Its an amazing phone but it seems that even the original Droid is getting way more attention.

For me, I understand thay froyo will not bring amazing new things to the table, but its the principle. I just bought this thing a month and a half ago and feel like we're being left in the dust.

Froyo will however speed up your phone quite a bit. That seems amazing enough, considering the performance boost is huge and having Flash is also another big option.

MsGadget13

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Best phone I've ever had and up until now, I've probably replaced my phone every 6-8 months or so using other family member's upgrades. :) Now that all converted to Verizon at the same time, that's come to an end. It's a good thing I really like the Fascinate as is!

Yes, I too would like the update, but wasn't expecting it to be on-time. I haven't had that experience with new phones or updates. I'm new to Verizon from AT&T, but on-time would have been a surprise.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Best phone I've ever had and up until now, I've probably replaced my phone every 6-8 months or so using other family member's upgrades. :) Now that all converted to Verizon at the same time, that's come to an end. It's a good thing I really like the Fascinate as is!

Yes, I too would like the update, but wasn't expecting it to be on-time. I haven't had that experience with new phones or updates. I'm new to Verizon from AT&T, but on-time would have been a surprise.

Agreed. I still stick by my notion that this is by far the best phone I have ever owned, regardless of the Froyo and GPS issues (which there are remedies for if you know what you're doing). I'm more than satisfied with my Fascinate.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. I still stick by my notion that this is by far the best phone I have ever owned, regardless of the Froyo and GPS issues (which there are remedies for if you know what you're doing). I'm more than satisfied with my Fascinate.

I still wish I knew why, some days, the phone just refuses to use the GPS. I am traveling, it worked great on the road with no problem locking on after being turned off for a while. I am staying in a high-rise, the first day I got here the GPS would lock pretty quick if I would walk near the window. The next day, it won't lock even if i am standing in the middle of the street. I was outside for 15 minutes and it wouldn't lock for anything. I bet tomorrow it will go back to normal... but it sure is annoying when it just decides on a whim whether or not I get to know where I'm at.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Its about time that Google starts implementing easier ways for everyone to upgrade to the latest OS.

Actually this is something that Gingerbread is supposed to bring to Android - the ability to upgrade parts of the OS without upgrading the entire thing. This should help get updates out faster.

Sent by a little green robot

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I still wish I knew why, some days, the phone just refuses to use the GPS. I am traveling, it worked great on the road with no problem locking on after being turned off for a while. I am staying in a high-rise, the first day I got here the GPS would lock pretty quick if I would walk near the window. The next day, it won't lock even if i am standing in the middle of the street. I was outside for 15 minutes and it wouldn't lock for anything. I bet tomorrow it will go back to normal... but it sure is annoying when it just decides on a whim whether or not I get to know where I'm at.

No doubt that is annoying, and it sometimes seems as if you'd be better off if you had a GPS that NEVER worked rather than sometimes work. Alas, I will still take a very shaky GPS over a shaky radio, or many other issues that literally could cripple the phone to a very expensive paperweight.

upsidedownaaron

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
here is my deal.

remember, what like 5 years ago, when the first rumors of this "android" thing were coming out? and the iphone was due to hit as well? it may have only been 3 or 4 years, i forget. but the point is, a lot of folks like myself (apple fanboys) were excited about the prospect of a truly open source, open developed device like this phone is "supposed" to be.

you all may hate the iphone, but dumb piping is one of the main reasons verizon wouldn't sign on with steve jobs. at&t were willing to become the first ever cell phone data dumb pipe, with zero control over the nature of their network. that is pretty huge.

now we have this amazing device. the fascinate. it blows the doors off the iphone 3gs at least, and in many ways stands its ground with the 4. but it gets hamstringed by crappy rfs and bloated to all hell by verizon. not to mention our "updates" have to go thru fifty hands to get cocked up before we can have it on our phones.

i pay enough to verizon for being held hostage to their network in the first place. let me have my damn phone without being all verizoned to death. if they can make bloatware not bugger it up, fine. but don't handicap the device just for some extra profit.

thats what windows is for.

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't really care about Froyo anymore- I just want my GPS to work 100% of the time like my Droid's did. It actually locked on satellites with GPS Test yesterday and worked when I needed it to, but sometimes it won't recognize any satellites at all. I know there's a fix out there that I saw and I'm going to try to implement that to see if it helps. But still.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site

Like I said during the podcast, on Thursday night, we were promised Froyo and we should get Froyo. If it makes any difference all prior phones had at least this much time pass between the phone release and the Froyo update. The X people in particular were especially peeved (and rightfully so). Anyway, this conversation has come up in every phone forum on this site. Based on what I've seen, it could still be another 1-2 months before we see it.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Like I said on the podcast, on Thursday night, we were promised Froyo and we should get Froyo. If it makes any difference all prior phones had at least this much time pass between the phone release and the Froyo update. The X people in particular were especially peeved (and rightfully so). Anyway, this conversation has come up in every phone forum on this site. Based on what I've seen, it could still be another 1-2 months before we see it.

Couldn't agree more. I think the biggest reason people are crying about it is because other phones already have it. "They have it, why don't we?" People automatically think we are being left out in the cold. Because of fragmentation the logistics behind getting an update out to every model is a nightmare, and it's going to take time

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
here is my deal.

remember, what like 5 years ago, when the first rumors of this "android" thing were coming out? and the iphone was due to hit as well? it may have only been 3 or 4 years, i forget. but the point is, a lot of folks like myself (apple fanboys) were excited about the prospect of a truly open source, open developed device like this phone is "supposed" to be.

you all may hate the iphone, but dumb piping is one of the main reasons verizon wouldn't sign on with steve jobs. at&t were willing to become the first ever cell phone data dumb pipe, with zero control over the nature of their network. that is pretty huge.

now we have this amazing device. the fascinate. it blows the doors off the iphone 3gs at least, and in many ways stands its ground with the 4. but it gets hamstringed by crappy rfs and bloated to all hell by verizon. not to mention our "updates" have to go thru fifty hands to get cocked up before we can have it on our phones.

i pay enough to verizon for being held hostage to their network in the first place. let me have my damn phone without being all verizoned to death. if they can make bloatware not bugger it up, fine. but don't handicap the device just for some extra profit.

thats what windows is for.

The control is also what gave verizon the widest, most usable 3g network and gave Att the opportunity to be the butt of jokes from Tmobile of all people...

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Couldn't agree more. I think the biggest reason people are crying about it is because other phones already have it. "They have it, why don't we?" People automatically think we are being left out in the cold. Because of fragmentation the logistics behind getting an update out to every model is a nightmare, and it's going to take time

+1. The speculation about Froyo reminds me of the discussions about when Verizon was going to unlock the GPS on the HTC Touch Pro back in 2008. They released the device in November, announced plans to unlock in December, confirmed they were testing a firmware update late spring 2009, and finally got around to unlocking that summer. Annoyingly slow as heck, but it happened.

Hopefully, we won't have to wait that long for Froyo.

(And believe me, after 10 years of Windows Mobile, this phone looks darn good to me, even unrooted and unupdated. Needs a few small fixes, but still...)

NOsquid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't really care about Froyo anymore- I just want my GPS to work 100% of the time like my Droid's did. It actually locked on satellites with GPS Test yesterday and worked when I needed it to, but sometimes it won't recognize any satellites at all. I know there's a fix out there that I saw and I'm going to try to implement that to see if it helps. But still.

I agree with you, I don't care much about Froyo. My phone really flies on Eclair with the proper modifications. There is Skyfire for the rare instances where I feel like watching flash video. The only thing I'm really looking forward to is porting over the ROMs like Cyanogen etc.. with Froyo.

The GPS is pretty well fixed as far as I can tell in the leaked DJ05 update. Which is impressive, given I don't think the other Galaxy S phones have gotten a real GPS fix.

-Deeter-

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
I am patiently waiting for the DJ05 update. I understand everyone is upset about waiting...but I bet the same people would be complaining if Verizon released it and it was buggy. Verizon is always going to be wrong no matter what they do. I hate waiting just like everyone...but I would rather it be good the first time. Blackberry had an update...it got pushed out too soon...and it screwed text messaging. So then it took weeks to fix with yet another software update. We will get Froyo I'm almost positive...its all in due time. But to think Verizon is just forgetting about the fascinate users is absurd.

And also...to the people who complain about the sales reps in the store...they are SALES reps. They (most) know nothing about software updates, release dates, hacks or anything other than pushing that contract out the door. And if they do give you some "insider info" take it with a grain of salt....

I don't want to sound like a jerk...and I hope this post doesn't come off that way. I just wanted to throw my $0.02 in. I bought this phone with bloatware and all knowing I would hack it. If I didn't want it...... I would have gotten an X (yuck)....

I think all this upgrade...froyo talk is making us all crazy.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

NOsquid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
If you're pretty savvy with this phone I don't believe there is much reason to wait anymore. The DI01 modem got leaked so you can go back if need be.

Although there is nothing wrong with prudence :) If you're not comfortable with Clockwork, flashing, Odin, the (small) chance of bricking your phone then by all means wait for the OTA.

rd0311

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I am also ready for FROYO. Can't understand what is taking them so long, but I got tired of waiting and went ahead and rooted my fascinate and I am glad I did it. Phone is absolutely flying. Turning quadrant scores of 2200 to 2400. Root it and be done with it. I know alot of people with DX's and their phones are still not right with FROYO. Maybe Verizon and Sammy are trying to get this release right!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01