New Google Maps 5.0

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
This is a great (and much needed) upgrade. One of the remaining strengths (albeit often overlooked) of the BB platform had been their built in, free offline-capable mapping/nav system. BB Navigate uses vector data and can cache large amounts of maps. In a fringe signal area you could still get maps reliably since the data volume was low, and if you pre-cached the area you were traveling in with no service at all you could recall the cached vector data at any zoom level. I used this many times with my BB when traveling in the backwaters of my fair state, and have missed it ever since.

Mourningdark

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I too am looking forward to the offline use and caching of data. I also like flashy and visually pleasing things, so I feel the 3d buildings will be a very welcomed and nice addition to add some flavor and pazzazz to the app. hope it roles out soon.

Joel S.

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
I had a dream I was using Google Maps 5.0 while out riding my bike last night... I guess that means I'm excited for it.

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
What google 5.0 finaly

I really hope this google maps lets you actually download it cuz the one that comes with sucks then when you try and upgrade it says needs manual upgrade then you try and it comes up with download was not successful ? I have bout 6 different phones in the last 5 months and most of them where different carriers and that probblem hasn't been fixed thats why I really dont use it huhmm :-( sorry for the long rant lol

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

upsidedownaaron

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
i use back country navigator to save topo maps. it saves to sd card so that when i am off the network i have zoomable gps tiles and real time mapping. it works really well.

until this gm rolls out.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I too am looking forward to the offline use and caching of data. I also like flashy and visually pleasing things, so I feel the 3d buildings will be a very welcomed and nice addition to add some flavor and pazzazz to the app. hope it roles out soon.

I agree, if they use the google maps engine to power Navigate (like they do now), the 3D third person perspective when traveling in cities will be straight up sci-fi awesome, especially if they start doing 3d representations of highway interchanges.

KH29

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully the navigation icon will run more smoothly in this new version instead of having that "skipping" effect I have been seeing. Google has been releasing some nice updates as of recently though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non