Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Fascinate losing time on Verizon

I have a Fascinate from Verizon. When I have the time/date set to use the network time, I keep getting periods when I lose time. Last night I lost about 12 minutes. The phone was plugged in and charging and the screen turned off. This has happened several times. Is this a phone or network issue? Anyone else having this problem?

ROM
    GummyCharged 1.9.1

Not having that issue, but I've heard that if you have your phone in an area of no coverage for a prolonged period of time the date/time could reset. However, I've heard the time resetting to 12:00, not losing minutes.

Never heard anything like this actually on any device. Hope you figure it out.
    7/2011 - Bye Bye borked Fascinate...Hello Droid Charge!

ROM
    ICS 4.0.4 build 8

I have experienced this recently. I have attributed it to the network, not the phone.

I switched the time keeping from network to manual.. set the time and within 20 minutes the network was back to what I could see with my atomic clock...

Network (Verizon) weirdness.
    Confucius: Never use a cannon to kill a fly. - Take off and nuke it from orbit.. ~~^^~~

Quote Originally Posted by JaeKar99 View Post
    I have experienced this recently. I have attributed it to the network, not the phone.

I switched the time keeping from network to manual.. set the time and within 20 minutes the network was back to what I could see with my atomic clock...

Network (Verizon) weirdness.
    I don't know how to explain the network interfering with accurate time sync, especially since reliable communication and timing is obviously essential in running a national cellular network. My wife and I used to both have a BB storm (she still does) we would set the same alarm clock time and tone and in the morning it would play from both phones with such amazing precision that you couldn't tell there were two going off aside from the extra loudness. One time, her phone started to drift late (gain minutes) and stayed like that for a few days until I was finally fed up with it, so I went into the setup and switched it off of network time and then back on. Once the settings saved it was immediately back to exact sync with my phone. I think some handsets, for some reason, just stop network updates and need to be forced to start syncing again.

For what it's worth, temperature and voltage are two fluctuations that together make it really hard to do accurate timing. I am not surprised in the least that it's common for handsets to have very inaccurate time-of-day clocking especially if it is subjected to extremes. The phones were never meant to be away from their perfect time source (the network) anyway. If it happens too often (like daily) I would suspect poor signal quality or overall a defective phone...
    Last edited by joebob2000; 12-07-2010 at 11:33 AM.

Oh well you are all lucky, because I actually went forward into the future about 20 hours. It was pretty odd to have all of my texts and calls tell me that they happened tomorrow. I never did figure out why this was happening...I just set the time to manual and went on with my life. I'd be interested to hear if anyone ever solves this mystery.

Global Posts
    961 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10/Devil

Quote Originally Posted by joebob2000 View Post
    One time, her phone started to drift late (gain minutes) and stayed like that for a few days until I was finally fed up with it, so I went into the setup and switched it off of network time and then back on. Once the settings saved it was immediately back to exact sync with my phone.
    That was a known issue with the BB Storm. Mine, along with 3 other people I know, did this same thing. I don't remember the setting name or location, but there was a second time source option you could choose on them that corrected the problem. The longer you left it on the stock setting, the more incorrect it got unless you did what you did to re-sync it again. This was appalling to me as BB's are supposed to be a business device, so accurate time would be vital. As for my Fascinate, I have not experienced this issue before.

Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Stop running so fast and you won't travel through time.

Default Re: Fascinate losing time on Verizon

I have several clocks and a watch that all synch to the US atomic clock daily, including my computer. They all stay within less than half a second of each other. For over 10 years I was on Sprint and every phone I ever had from them also was within less than a second of exact time with all my other clocks, cable boxes etc. 2 months ago I was finally fed up with Sprint's crappy coverage and phones and switched to Verizon. This LG Enlighten runs circles around the Samsung I had from Sprint, even with the same specs.(processor speed, cam MP etc) but it is always 15 seconds ahead of every other device I have. I even went to time.gov and the NIST websites to verify, but it's the same: everything except my Verizon phone are synched up properly. Even after a fresh phone reboot it's 15 seconds "fast".

Can anybody else test this on their Verizon handsets? I can't find any way in Android Gingerbread to go to "manual" time to try switching it back and forth to force a re-synch.

Edit: My buddy who also is on Verizon got home and I checked his Droid and it's right on time with NIST etc, so it's just my handset (grrrr).
    Last edited by FixManTx; 03-09-2012 at 01:33 PM.

Default Re: Fascinate losing time on Verizon

Just to update, a few days after that post I stopped into a couple of Verizon Wireless stores and checked several different models and so far it is only the Enlighten and 1 other LG phone (forget which) that run about 15 seconds ahead of Verizon network time. Every Enlighten and that one other LG model I checked has this issue, but couldn't find it on any other brand or model. I'm guessing those 2 models share some sort of hardware or software bug. I have an app that shows correct time from the US Atomic Clock if I need the extra accuracy.