Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default can't stand the cold?

So i took my first trip of the season up to lake Tahoe area for some great Friday Skiing, with high hopes of utilizing the 5MP camera and 720p videos for some memorabilia of me and my friends taking some jumps and rails.

Well, the moment i get out of the gondola, in the ~35 degree day it was, i see that my fascinate feels a tad bit cold, and when i press the awake button, nothing, the damn thing won't turn on.

Wasn't until i got back into the car, warmed it up a bit, and hard reseted by removing the battery that the phone finally turned on again.

Anyone have this happen to their fascinate? is it common, i guess i'll test it again next time I go up.

Can't say that I've run into this. I live in Minnesota and I take my phone outside all the time and haven't had the phone get too cold on me.
    "Bazinga!"

Global Posts
    646 Global Posts

I took my wife zip-lining for her birthday mid-november, and it was pretty cold that day. I tried to take some video with my phone, but noticed the screen seemed somewhat unresponsive to my cold fingers, to the point I really couldn't take videos with it. Luckily, I brought a normal point and shoot camera.

Global Posts
    961 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10/Devil

I live in upstate NY and it's been about 10-20 degrees this past week and I have not had any issues. Keep in mind, today's touchscreen devices are designed to only work with warm skin touching them to prevent accidental selections from other things bumping them, along with any digital display becoming sluggish in lower temps due to the viscosity of the liquid inside them.

You probably just had the battery freeze out on you. Lithium cells are notoriously bad performers in cold weather; I have had this happen to several phones when they got too cold (20F or below, for long periods). If I am going to be outside in the winter I always keep it on an inside pocket.

Global Posts
    815 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by joebob2000 View Post
    You probably just had the battery freeze out on you. Lithium cells are notoriously bad performers in cold weather; I have had this happen to several phones when they got too cold (20F or below, for long periods). If I am going to be outside in the winter I always keep it on an inside pocket.
    This. It's mentioned at the very end of the manual (I've seen it mentioned right at the beginning in some), so it's easy to miss.

Do not leave the battery in hot or cold places, such as in a car in summer or winter conditions, as you will reduce the capacity and lifetime of the battery. Always try to keep the battery at room temperature. A phone with a hot or cold battery may temporarily not work, even when the battery is fully charged. Li-ion batteries are particularly affected by temperatures below 0 C (32 F).
    This is common with ALL devices that use Li-ion batteries.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Joel S. View Post
    This. It's mentioned at the very end of the manual (I've seen it mentioned right at the beginning in some), so it's easy to miss.

This is common with ALL devices that use Li-ion batteries.
    Great info. Thanks!
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

well, i went up again, this time it was in the high 10's low 20's, and all went flawlessly, got Pandora the whole day, got some sweet videos of the fresh powder, and bunch of pictures.

maybe just a random crash occurred and i assumed.

Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    ROM
    BAMF Forever 1.0.7

Had a similar problem. I was outside on a smoke break, and was talking to my girlfriend in the frigid wind chill below zero. I held a phone call for about 3 minutes, and then the whole phone just turned off on me... It was rather strange