Fascinate screen burn in?

RobUM2011

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I saw this mentioned about some of the other phones (Nexus One, Incredible, Epic 4G), but I couldn't find anything in here about the Fascinate. If it's already been asked, I apologize..
I usually use the Desk Cradle so I can quickly glance at the time in the middle of the night. I saw that some people are starting to notice screen burn in on some Android phones, so I was wondering if any of you have this issue? It's not a huge deal to stop leaving my screen on all night, but just thought I'd ask to see what you guys are getting this.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I work developing oleds. And yes this is possible with all the SAMOLED screens. I bought a captivate recently very cheap because the previous owner burned in the screen. I suggest using NoLed. If you need to check for messages at night

Reactions: RobUM2011

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I think it's the fact that he wants to use it as a clock, and not just to check for messages. Thanks DroidXcon for the info. I too like to use my Fascinate as a clock at night. I figured since Samsung designed the clock to come on when docked, and they give no warning about screen burn-in, that it would be covered under their warranty. So I don't worry about it too much.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
My experience with Screen Burn in on AMOLEDs is that it takes a very long time time for this to even become an issue, and by a very long time I'm talking hundreds or thousands of hours of screen usage before it's noticeable. AMOLED's generally have a better resistance to burn-in than LCD's or especially Plasma technology. Again though this should be covered under warranty.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I think it's the fact that he wants to use it as a clock, and not just to check for messages. Thanks DroidXcon for the info. I too like to use my Fascinate as a clock at night. I figured since Samsung designed the clock to come on when docked, and they give no warning about screen burn-in, that it would be covered under their warranty. So I don't worry about it too much.

yeah best thing to do would be to drop the brightness to low but that doesnt guarentee that it wont burn in. Unlike LCD which burn in happens do to crystal alignment OLED is a completely differnt type of screen, burn in occurs when the emitter material ages. if the screen ages all at the same time you wouldnt notice this occurence at most you would notice a slight color shift. but since certain colors require more power than others they will age more quickly leaving burn in.

longest to shortest living colors are as follows in this order.

1. Red
2. Green
3. Blue

Blue is the most difficult color to work with always.

as the technology matures you will see increase in life and less burn in will occur.
Also you will see longer life times.

there are 2 main types of OLEDs that are used.
Fluorescent and phosphorescent

At the moment Samsung uses 2 colors that are fluorescent and 1 that is phosphorescent.

Phospheorescent is more efficient and uses less power; but at the moment 2 of the colors although more efficient, do not live as long. We are working on making phospheorescent live longer and as time goes on you will see screens start to use all 3 colors with phospheorescent materials and battery life will be alot less.

Many people try to compare LCD screens vs OLED screens but you cant really do that with phones because they are built completely different so raising the brightness on both is a useless test.

comparing LCD and OLED is completely apples and oranges.

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
My experience with Screen Burn in on AMOLEDs is that it takes a very long time time for this to even become an issue, and by a very long time I'm talking hundreds or thousands of hours of screen usage before it's noticeable. AMOLED's generally have a better resistance to burn-in than LCD's or especially Plasma technology. Again though this should be covered under warranty.

This is true you really need to crank your brightness and leave it on for a long time you will see burn in on Demo models that they leave on 24/7 for months. But always better safe than sorry.

RobUM2011

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I guess if it's covered under warranty it's not a huge deal. I usually only have a phone for about a year anyway. I might stop leaving the clock on all night though. It's not hard to just hit the lock button to check the time real quick.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site

I am not a super expert but LCD screens generally are immune to true "burn in" because each pixel is really just a window to see the fluorescent light behind the film... So the only thing that will burn-in (or more accurately, burn-out) is the light and not the individual pixels, if they show temporary persistence it is reversible. The pixels can be prone to sticking, though, which is probably as annoying as burn-in.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I am not a super expert but LCD screens generally are immune to true "burn in" because each pixel is really just a window to see the fluorescent light behind the film... So the only thing that will burn-in (or more accurately, burn-out) is the light and not the individual pixels, if they show temporary persistence it is reversible. The pixels can be prone to sticking, though, which is probably as annoying as burn-in.

i dont know a huge deal about LCD either, but yes burn in on an LCD is not very common, what people usually call burn in with an LCD is persistence which is basically when the Liquid crystals align a certain way,,,if you just shut off your screen there will be no charge and they will go to a static position and realign and you are good to go again

Fyrmedic654

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I saw this mentioned about some of the other phones (Nexus One, Incredible, Epic 4G), but I couldn't find anything in here about the Fascinate. If it's already been asked, I apologize..
I usually use the Desk Cradle so I can quickly glance at the time in the middle of the night. I saw that some people are starting to notice screen burn in on some Android phones, so I was wondering if any of you have this issue? It's not a huge deal to stop leaving my screen on all night, but just thought I'd ask to see what you guys are getting this.

If you are rooted, search for the aosp clock. I use it and while I don't use a dock(i just prop mine up), it has a convenient dim feature that also moves the clock around sporadically throughout the night. If you use rom manager, it's under sonofskywalker3's section.

Reactions: DroidXcon

RobUM2011

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
If you are rooted, search for the aosp clock. I use it and while I don't use a dock(i just prop mine up), it has a convenient dim feature that also moves the clock around sporadically throughout the night. If you use rom manager, it's under sonofskywalker3's section.

Not rooted.. yet. It's something I plan to do in the future. I'll keep that clock in mind though.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

Awesome, thanks

Fyrmedic654

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Well, in all honesty it might be 4, but it's definitely the easiest thing I have done with my fascinate, of course, it seams I flubbed with the link, so here goes for round 2... http://m.forum.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=33899. They have fool-proofed it. After that, make sure to put on clockwork mod aka cwm following this http://m.forum.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=35726 and p you wil be ready to troll the forums For roms and themes, and do whatever you want to your phone. I promise it seems much harder than it is. Heck, my wife did it and she is technologically worse than my 76 y/o grandma. Good luck

gadgetguitar

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
Sent a Fascinate in on warranty because of this two weeks ago. I use my fascinate as my alarm clock, and use the night mode with a screen saver (market app). Works great except on a Fasciante. The stupid battery full pop-up will come up and make the phone go full brightness. That image burned into my screen. Could see it on any white background. Tried the codes to get into the settings and disable, but had no luck with it stopping. Verizon did replace the phone.

RobUM2011

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Sent a Fascinate in on warranty because of this two weeks ago. I use my fascinate as my alarm clock, and use the night mode with a screen saver (market app). Works great except on a Fasciante. The stupid battery full pop-up will come up and make the phone go full brightness. That image burned into my screen. Could see it on any white background. Tried the codes to get into the settings and disable, but had no luck with it stopping. Verizon did replace the phone.

That's strange. I deactivated that pop up on my phone and my mom's phone and it stopped coming up.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
If burn in was a real problem we'd all have burned in notification bars by now...

Thats not necessarily true. Like DroidXcon said earlier in this thread if you look at some of the demo units in stores, you can clearly see screen burn in because of the screens being on for so long. Now, again that's after hundreds and thousands of hours on the same screen, but it is a problem to an extent. It does happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance