1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Search Softkey...always activating by accident

For the most part dig the Fascinate, don;t appreciate that I am always activating the search softkey - accidentally. Seems my palm always brushed that darn key and then I am stuck in the search screen.

I know, that should handle phone differently..but have not been able to do so...darn it!

Does anyone know how that button can be temp. disabled or made less sensitive etc.? Or any ideas??

Thanks Kindly!
    Egz

I would love to know this too. I hate that damn soft key. When ever I try to operate the phone with one hand, the big part of my thumb will brush over it when trying to reach for the upper left corner.

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

Same here.

Global Posts
    2,340 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

This happened to me a lot when I first got the phone, and sometimes still does due to the quick timeout of those keys. Eventually your muscle memory will adjust, and while you'll still hit it by accident, it won't be as often.

Global Posts
    757 Global Posts

I put a screen protector on mine and my complaint is that it is now too difficult to operate the soft keys.
    Are you using a screen protector?

ROM
    ICS 4.0.4 build 8

I ended up putting a silicone case on mine to help with just the general wear and tear. In doing that there is a lip on the edge that helps keep my hand/fingers/thumbs off the search key.

Like NickA I got accustomed to attending to where and how my hand was possitioned and I rarely activate it now.
    Confucius: “Never use a cannon to kill a fly.” - Take off and nuke it from orbit.. ~~^^~~

I have a screen protector (the zagg kind) and it's still pretty easy to hit the search softkey on accident. The protector on the back cover made a huge difference in the way i hold the phone, though. Since it's got some tack to it I find that I no longer grip the phone for dear life; typing can take place with a relaxed hand, and i don't hit the search key on accident nearly as much as i used to.

The same thing happens to me when pressing the back key, I guess my thumb is a tad big.

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I've had this happen to me a few times, but it's never been a major annoyance. If it's happening to you a lot, I'd suggest some sort of case like the others. A lot of them cover up enough space at the bottom that it makes it more difficult to accidentally hit one of the softkey buttons at the bottom.

New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful replies. I will check out some case/covers for the phone. If anyone has good recommendations for an inexpensive case, it would be appreciated!

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I bought this one for my Fascinate. Don't be fooled by the low price, this thing was surprisingly of high quality. I'd recommend checking it out.

Amazon.com: Black Rubberized Snap on Hard Skin Shell Protector Faceplate Cover Case for Samsung Fascinate I500 + Premium Lcd Screen Guard + Microfiber Pouch Bag: Electronics

New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks