Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Fascinate vs these new CES Phones

Hi. I dont have a fascinate yet, but i was weighing it against the droid x then decided to wait and see what phones were announced during CES.
    So basically, i am wondering how you think a (rooted) fascinate would hold up against some of these new phones, in particular the thunderbolt?

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by darkhemingway View Post
    Hi. I dont have a fascinate yet, but i was weighing it against the droid x then decided to wait and see what phones were announced during CES.
    So basically, i am wondering how you think a (rooted) fascinate would hold up against some of these new phones, in particular the thunderbolt?
    well besides the 4G and the front facing cameras. a rom'd Fascinate, in my experience can keep up with the any phone ive seen, but then again i havnt seen any of these new phones perform.
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    1,688 Global Posts
    ROM
    GummyCharge 1.9.1

Plus, these new phones won't be available for months. March at the earliest, but most likely May or beyond

I think you can wait but then even better phones will be coming out that you could wait for. It's like buying a pc in the nineties, every three months a newer, faster and better one came out. You will be happy with the fascinate but there will always be better phones coming out in a few months.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Cool thanks

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I'm not a fan of the hardware buttons on this new phone at all -- I really don't understand Samsungs decision on that. Either way, as far as specs and advantages/disadvantages at this point, I think it's a little too early to say.

New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Chris Kerrigan - which new one, the 4g samsung lte? if thats the one you mean, i think that phone looks terrible (in its build)

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by darkhemingway View Post
    Chris Kerrigan - which new one, the 4g samsung lte? if thats the one you mean, i think that phone looks terrible (in its build)
    Yep, that's the one I'm referring to. I also think it looks God awful, and I know we're not the only ones who think so. A few people I've spoken to who are at CES were not impressed in the least.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kerrigan View Post
    I'm not a fan of the hardware buttons on this new phone at all -- I really don't understand Samsungs decision on that. Either way, as far as specs and advantages/disadvantages at this point, I think it's a little too early to say.
    Buttons dont really bother me, it looks kind of decepticon-ish but whatever i want that larger screen and faster processor, and since im buying it out right im not to worried about being locked up if something better comes along
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

The screen on this 4g sam is going to be crazy, thats true. its shape looks like a black berry tho, and (usually) the galaxy s phones have very nice looks, so i'm dissapointed with that

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

By itself I don't think it's an ugly phone, but I guess in comparison to the other Galaxy S phones is where I think it's pretty ugly. Disappointed would be an understatement.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kerrigan View Post
    By itself I don't think it's an ugly phone, but I guess in comparison to the other Galaxy S phones is where I think it's pretty ugly. Disappointed would be an understatement.
    i never thought the otherphones were that good looking, they are slabs, when the screen is on , all eye are on it anyway....

Welcome back btw, happy new year since i didnt get a chance to talk to you

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    i never thought the otherphones were that good looking, they are slabs, when the screen is on , all eye are on it anyway....

Welcome back btw, happy new year since i didnt get a chance to talk to you
    Thanks! Busy week in Toronto :P

I think the slab design is basically going to be the norm at least for the remainder of 2011, we'll see, though.

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

this lg revolution is sorta what i was hoping the new samsung would look like (think the slab is slicker than the terminator look of motorolas and the inc)

I hate when they introduce these phones...they don't get in the stores for months down the road. If you gonna introduce something..sell the things right away!

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by davey11 View Post
    I hate when they introduce these phones...they don't get in the stores for months down the road. If you gonna introduce something..sell the things right away!
    The problem is getting a good balance. Not all phones can be 100% ready for launch in time for an event like CES, but at the same time the OEM's and carriers need to introduce them in order to keep consumer interest in what they have to offer in the coming months.

yeah its sad tho cause a basic human instinct is instant gratification...its hard to suppress that

The LG phones look good. I'm curious how much of a body you'll see with a dual processor. I think I'll wait and see what comes out of CES 2012.

ROM
    CM10 Nightlies

The new Sammy reminds me of my Omnia i920.
    icu

Global Posts
    413 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 11/Tinykernel

Unless 4G is really important to you none of these new phones blow my hair back except for the Tegra 2 models and we've yet to see how that will turn out (performance boost vs. battery life) I'm going to guess they will be great devices.

I was going to wait for these phones, but from what we've seen so far it looks like Verizon's lineup is pretty underwhelming in comparison (while AT&T just went BIG). There will always be a better and faster phone coming out.

The new stuff worth waiting for: 4G and Dual-core (which apart from gaming I'm not sure that I would want/need unless it increases battery life significantly)
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    1,688 Global Posts
    ROM
    GummyCharge 1.9.1

Dual core just isn't worth it yet in my opinion. Without the resources (OS optimized for it and more RAM available) to properly utilize it, I don't see the point
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Now that verizon announced these phones, i'm leaning towards either the sam fascinate (and then root it) or the thunderbolt (even tho it's underwhelming). Gotta see what the price plans are for the 4g service, and what the upgrade price is.

Thanks for all the input btw
    -hem

Yeah the design for the samsung LTE phone is horrible, compared to the galaxy S series it just looks clunky.

My 2 cents...
    I just had my Fascinate replaced by Verizon (probably my fault it went bad but that's another issue, they happily sent another to me). I had major problems with the phone for a while in terms of it's lag and GPS as well as a few other well talked about issues. But, I can safely say rooted and running DJ05 and a custom ROM this phone is now quite impressive and is beginning to live up to it's potential. I'm a heavy user for messaging and data transfer (yes I use the free wifi feature available after root ) so I depend on my device having some muscle. The Fascinate has it with some to spare (after rooting in my opinion).

Much better than the blackberries that my company provided for us by a long shot. Happy shopping.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Yeah i kinda figure the hummingbird on the fascinate is probably equal to the new snapdragon on the thunderbolt. Screens are probably close with samsung in the lead with that super. If the 4g prices are comparable it's going to be hard, since the fasc is just right with screen, size/shape, and hummingbird (but will probably never see gingerbread and froyo looks like itll be a wait)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast