High processor usage

codeman0624

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I need some help! Yesterday afternoon I realized my battery was draining very quickly. I use Elixir to monitor the CPU usage and remaining battery, and I noticed that my CPU usage never dropped below 20%, and was frequently up around 35%...right after it had been idle for an hour! I uninstalled all the programs I had installed over the past few days, and undid any settings I had changed, but nothing is helping. Right now my battery loses about 1% every five minutes while sitting on my desk idle.

I also use Watchdog to keep an eye on things, so I checked the processes list and nothing seemed unusual. All I've noticed is that the 3G data usage icon activates frequently and randomly.

Anyone have any ideas how I can track this down? Or am I making a big deal out of nothing?

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I need some help! Yesterday afternoon I realized my battery was draining very quickly. I use Elixir to monitor the CPU usage and remaining battery, and I noticed that my CPU usage never dropped below 20%, and was frequently up around 35%...right after it had been idle for an hour! I uninstalled all the programs I had installed over the past few days, and undid any settings I had changed, but nothing is helping. Right now my battery loses about 1% every five minutes while sitting on my desk idle.

I also use Watchdog to keep an eye on things, so I checked the processes list and nothing seemed unusual. All I've noticed is that the 3G data usage icon activates frequently and randomly.

Anyone have any ideas how I can track this down? Or am I making a big deal out of nothing?

first of all are you rooted? second stop running all that crap to monitor your phone. and dont use any task killers unless a program freezes. stock fascinate battery just plain sucks. no away around that unless you root. oh and are you using a live wall paper?

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Battery usage of 20% an hour when the phone is sitting unused is definitely abnormal. K wouldn't necessarily trust real time monitoring apps though, they may be chewing up the battery just by running all the time. Try killing any realtime apps and see how fast it drains. Try charging the phone then letting it sit at least an hour with no use. Check the internal battery stat list to see what it pegs as the most draining.

codeman0624

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I'm rooted and I don't use task killers or live wallpapers, I do use the autokiller memory program. I'll try disabling all those monitoring things and see how it goes. But how else would I be able to easily recognize if something is going wrong? Do you have any suggestions for a light-weight monitor app so I could do a quick sanity check that things are behaving properly?

Thanks guys

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I'm rooted and I don't use task killers or live wallpapers, I do use the autokiller memory program. I'll try disabling all those monitoring things and see how it goes. But how else would I be able to easily recognize if something is going wrong? Do you have any suggestions for a light-weight monitor app so I could do a quick sanity check that things are behaving properly?

Thanks guys

since you are rooted we ahve more options. first of all killing tasks is pissing in the wind. they will just start right back up. i wouldnt use an auto killer. i have found that just letting the phone do its thing really does help. i see less lag and i get al little better battery life, not much though. second i use set cpu which underclocks the cpu when idle. i use juice plotter and juice defender set to default. they help some, but only when the phone is idle. i use system info widget to tell me whats using the most battery. i have it set to passive. but the biggest thing that will help you on battery life is your kernel. right now i am using adryalyne's (probably mispelled) 12/30 test. there are others like stupid fast. you may try an undervolted kernel. just make sure you get the right kernel for your radio. are you running dj05?

curley

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I just went to Go Launcher and my battery life increased dramatically. Under normal use, I finished a whole day with 3/4 battery still left.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Let us know if removing the monitoring programs has helped, and if not, since you are rooted, have you done anything with the bloatware (CityID, Visual Voicemail, etc) as in removing it or renaming it so it no longer is running in the background? If not, this is one of the most effective first steps for rooted users.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
The greatest battery life ROM/kernel combo I have found is JT's super clean with the stock kernel on DI01. Also, a big help is using a dark theme and wallpaper, as lighter/whiter colors draw more juice for the display

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

Thanks guys

chriskerrigan had a good point about bloat. also do you have touch wiz running behind another launcher, or for that matter any other launcher?

curley

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I notice on the Captivate you can turn off Touch Wiz, but on The FS you cannot, has anyone figured out a way to do that?

other than a Rom

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I notice on the Captivate you can turn off Touch Wiz, but on The FS you cannot, has anyone figured out a way to do that?

other than a Rom

yeah, delete the stupid thing. or if you are trying to stay close to stock for this imaginary update coming on jan 10 3046, add .old to the touch wiz apk. or if you do a build your own from rom manager you can pick what launcher you want to use.

codeman0624

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Yup, I manually debloated everything, I'm running the stock ROM with the low voltage 1200MHz voodoo kernal (is this a voodoo problem or something maybe?). I'm running launcher pro, and still have the TW launcher in hopes of an update, but it's stripped down to one screen with nothing on it.

I disabled or uninstalled a few of the monitoring programs, and uninstalled one last program that I had added, and now I've only lost 2% of my battery in a little over an hour...much better.

I still don't understand the root cause though. I had this setup for the past two weeks and it was working awesome. Then all of a sudden yesterday things hit a downward spiral. Thanks for the help and suggestions!

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Yup, I manually debloated everything, I'm running the stock ROM with the low voltage 1200MHz voodoo kernal (is this a voodoo problem or something maybe?). I'm running launcher pro, and still have the TW launcher in hopes of an update, but it's stripped down to one screen with nothing on it.

I disabled or uninstalled a few of the monitoring programs, and uninstalled one last program that I had added, and now I've only lost 2% of my battery in a little over an hour...much better.

I still don't understand the root cause though. I had this setup for the past two weeks and it was working awesome. Then all of a sudden yesterday things hit a downward spiral. Thanks for the help and suggestions!

lol. 2 %, what are you wining about!!!

i dont know about the voodoo kernel. i wont touch voodoo. it was just one nasty mess for me. dont worry about ota. you can either flash back to stock, or just get a custom rom from an indie dev.

either way i think a complete change would give you a better idea of whats going on. there is also the possibility of a bad battery. if you still have the problem on say superclean .09 running stupid fast 1.54, with very few other programs installed, then you know you have a hardware problem, warrenty replacement.

curley

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
yeah, delete the stupid thing. or if you are trying to stay close to stock for this imaginary update coming on jan 10 3046, add .old to the touch wiz apk. or if you do a build your own from rom manager you can pick what launcher you want to use.

I tried to change it to OLD, but I got stuck in a Force close error. it kept going and going, I could not stop it until I changed it back.

How can I move it without an issue?

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I tried to change it to OLD, but I got stuck in a Force close error. it kept going and going, I could not stop it until I changed it back.

How can I move it without an issue?

lol. sorry, my fault. after you rename it you have to reboot. it will be all good then.

Reactions: curley

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I was under the impression you needed to put another launcher in the /system/app folder before removing/renaming TW. Is that not the case?

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I was under the impression you needed to put another launcher in the /system/app folder before removing/renaming TW. Is that not the case?

no one does not need to be in the system folder. i guess its a good idea to put it there to keep you from uninstalling you only launcher!!!! you will need to restart after you move it.

codeman0624

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
things are working really well now for the rest of the day at least. One thing I have noticed is about set cpu. When I said it to power save or on demand it won't turn on after the screen goes off. Like it can't get the cpu going once it's been in the idle state. That one had me panicked a few times

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams