Official I got the OTA DL09 update discussion. See Post #2 for problems/solutions!

flamingoezz

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
I got the update this AM..only took about 5 mins to install.

I'm having trouble with the GPS still though..several minutes to lock in. I just turn GPS on and goto google navigation and select an address I've used before.

skimore2020

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone else seen a drastic drop in battery life after the update? My battery drained 35% in 3 hours while I was sleeping. All of my programs were closed and I didn't put any new apps on. It was fully charged at 8am this morning. I drove 30 min to work, didn't use the phone at all, and it was at 80%. I've gotten about 10 emails so far, and I'm at 68% right now. I have been with 3G the whole time.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Inferno217

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Just so everyone (beginners) know this:

You should do a full power cycle if you are experiencing problems with both the GPS lock and battery life. I was going crazy because of battery drain and GPS inaccuracies until I powered down and back on. Try this before you panic.

Not that this is too revolutionary, but people get caught up in the excitement and don't think of simple things like this (guilty...).

Last edited:

consultantnomo

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Tried my update and failed. Forgot that I followed Corey's advice of changing various apps to .old. So now I run the updates and I think I'm in the clear, see the new location icon added to the status bar, and then success?!?! Nope...I get kicked to the "Android System Recovery".

- "reboot system now" just repeats the cycle
- "apply sdcard:update.zip" failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (no such file or directory"

I stumbled across some people having issues with the .zip extension not being on the update file. Down side is that I can't mount the phone and my microSD reader is 20 miles from my location.

Any thoughts? Thanks for the effort you all put in here.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I got the update this AM..only took about 5 mins to install.

I'm having trouble with the GPS still though..several minutes to lock in. I just turn GPS on and goto google navigation and select an address I've used before.

If you're in Google Nav, and you see that the GPS icon went from blinking to solid , but Nav has still not locked, try exiting Nav and going back in again. Something with Google Maps is wonky. Also, try uninstalling and reinstalling Google Maps.

Tried my update and failed. Forgot that I followed Corey's advice of changing various apps to .old. So now I run the updates and I think I'm in the clear, see the new location icon added to the status bar, and then success?!?! Nope...I get kicked to the "Android System Recovery".

- "reboot system now" just repeats the cycle
- "apply sdcard:update.zip" failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (no such file or directory"

I stumbled across some people having issues with the .zip extension not being on the update file. Down side is that I can't mount the phone and my microSD reader is 20 miles from my location.

Any thoughts? Thanks for the effort you all put in here.

Download and flash DI01 with Odin v1.3. Then do your OTA to DL09.

More detailed steps here.

In fact anyone that is having issues updating might want to do this before losing anymore hair.

emptycube

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Upgraded yesterday.

My apologies if this has been mentioned (or is not pertinent) but when I tried GPS (only 3x), it was just like before. I went into the hidden menus and my settings had been changed back to 'Hot Start' and 'MS Based'. I changed them to 'Warm Start' and 'MS assisted' and got a lock within seconds. This is a tiny sample size and the quick lock might not be indicative of true performance but just thought I'd mention it. After exiting the hidden menus I went back and checked those GPS settings to see if they stuck and they did.

oldAGE

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
South Central Wisconsin yesterday - OTA took less than five minutes to download, two to install, and one forced soft reset. GPS locks faster and indoors in some locations now (sweet!!!). Like others mention, location icon now on notification bar. Might be seeing faster battery drain - biggest culprits in order are Display, Cell Standby, Phone idle, Android Sys, Ocean Waves (completely stock Fascinate), K9, Sensorserver_ya (this one is new), Android OS.

On the positive side, I think the radio might be reporting better stats. I usually never got better than -86dBm in my office and now see -78 to -81. Yes... now missing InnoCare update manager. Will ask for guidance in turning off unnecessary automated services. Don't have the time to manage a rooted device these days.

So far, Thumbs up from AGE.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
OK tried to download mine and it is stuck in 33% and has been for a day now..Im new to all this, any thoughts or ideas..thanks in advance.

If it's just downloading, cancel it and check for updates again. Mine was a slow download, but still only took about 10 minutes.

LaFinDuMonde

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I upgrade both my wifes phone and mine. Both were smooth. The only difference either to either of us is the diamond shaped item in the top bar. My wife was psyched about the "4 button lights stay on when screen is on" update, but it doesn't work.

karlhorton

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
OTA Wifi improvement

DL09 OTA installed painlessly when it finally arrived.

Attached is the new behavior when you try to
update with wifi switched on .... should definitely
save Verizon some support calls, eh?

Prior to DL09 the update would silently fail
if wifi was enabled (it burnt me the first time I tried)

Inferno217

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Upgraded yesterday.

My apologies if this has been mentioned (or is not pertinent) but when I tried GPS (only 3x), it was just like before. I went into the hidden menus and my settings had been changed back to 'Hot Start' and 'MS Based'. I changed them to 'Warm Start' and 'MS assisted' and got a lock within seconds. This is a tiny sample size and the quick lock might not be indicative of true performance but just thought I'd mention it. After exiting the hidden menus I went back and checked those GPS settings to see if they stuck and they did.

I'm sorry for my ignorance but can someone explain to me what this does exactly to "fix" the gps from taking a long time to lock sometimes. Most of the time with this update the gps will lock almost instantly but a few times it has taken quite a while.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

dbryant11

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Ohio

Working well in Ohio. Need to go outside to see if GPS is any better. Love the lit buttons, and yes, battery is screaming to zero. Did the hard power off. Will see if it makes a diff. Same as everyone, needed to shut off wifi, and then watched the frozen Verizon logo for a while. The rest is fine.

HuskerDad3

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
first try the following,

unplug your phone, if on your computer you see any media sync processes running close them down, if not proceed

Settings>usb settings>set to mass storage

settings>applications>development>check debbugging mode and stay awake

plug in the device and wait 3 to 4 minutestry and mount the card with and without debugging mode on

Thanks for this. It was driving me nuts that everytime I plugged in my phone to charge it on my work computer, the stupid Vcast website would load.

I didn't experience this annoyance before the DL09 update.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm sorry for my ignorance but can someone explain to me what this does exactly to "fix" the gps from taking a long time to lock sometimes. Most of the time with this update the gps will lock almost instantly but a few times it has taken quite a while.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Before the update it was taking anywhere from 5-10 minutes to lock (the satellites), if at all. Now it takes 30 seconds to 2 minutes.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar