everyone having computer connection issues, please post here.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Reactions: Townie33

girlymissjulie

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
So far these are my findings:

I should mention first that I am of course rooted and have frozen all VCast apps in Titanium - I don't know if that makes a difference, but thought I'd mention it.

On Windows XP without the Samsung drivers (they have never been installed on this particular pc) when I plugged it in with debugging on, it popped up the new hardware found - search for a device driver on the computer and the usb mounting option showed up in the notification bar of the phone, but of course, without the driver Windows thinks it needs, it wouldn't be able to see my files even if I mounted it. I made the mistake of closing the search for driver window before unplugging my phone and my screen went black, softkeys still lit - frozen....had to do a battery pull.

When I turned off debugging and plugged it back into the XP pc, I then got the Internet Explorer pop up, which I immediatly closed, followed by the prompt to install VZW's crappy software, which I declined and after that auto play started, which I cancelled and then the option to view files on my phone was given to me. Pulled down my notification bar, mounted my sd card and was able to see all files on my phone.

My experience with Windows 7 without the Samsung drivers was a direct mimic of what I've been hearing here already - no reaction from my phone when plugged in with debugging off (no option to mount from the notification bar) and Win 7 quickly told me it could not find the drivers for my device. Plugged it back in with debugging on and got the box offering the bootstrap.exe or whatever that was, but no option in my notification bar to mount the sd card. That's as far as I went with it because it seemed like there were plenty of instances of this already documented.

I guess it's a really good thing that I almost never use usb mounting or I'd be as ticked as many of you are. For now, it still mounts perfectly to my Ubuntu, so I'm a happy girl.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
So far these are my findings:

I should mention first that I am of course rooted and have frozen all VCast apps in Titanium - I don't know if that makes a difference, but thought I'd mention it.

On Windows XP without the Samsung drivers (they have never been installed on this particular pc) when I plugged it in with debugging on, it popped up the new hardware found - search for a device driver on the computer and the usb mounting option showed up in the notification bar of the phone, but of course, without the driver Windows thinks it needs, it wouldn't be able to see my files even if I mounted it. I made the mistake of closing the search for driver window before unplugging my phone and my screen went black, softkeys still lit - frozen....had to do a battery pull.

When I turned off debugging and plugged it back into the XP pc, I then got the Internet Explorer pop up, which I immediatly closed, followed by the prompt to install VZW's crappy software, which I declined and after that auto play started, which I cancelled and then the option to view files on my phone was given to me. Pulled down my notification bar, mounted my sd card and was able to see all files on my phone.

My experience with Windows 7 without the Samsung drivers was a direct mimic of what I've been hearing here already - no reaction from my phone when plugged in with debugging off (no option to mount from the notification bar) and Win 7 quickly told me it could not find the drivers for my device. Plugged it back in with debugging on and got the box offering the bootstrap.exe or whatever that was, but no option in my notification bar to mount the sd card. That's as far as I went with it because it seemed like there were plenty of instances of this already documented.

I guess it's a really good thing that I almost never use usb mounting or I'd be as ticked as many of you are. For now, it still mounts perfectly to my Ubuntu, so I'm a happy girl.

stupid ubuntu.

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I present two kernels, one voodoo, one not.

They are not totally fixed (for me anyway) but at least that pesky cd rom is gone. Myself, i still require a reboot with the cable in to use mass storage. I will upload my github changes tomorrow.

Voodoo
http://adrynalyne.us/files/kernels/0118_fascinate_voodoo5.zip

Nonvoodoo
http://adrynalyne.us/files/kernels/0118_fascinate_novoodoo.zip

Flash at your own risk.

did you figure what exactly you did to finally break your phone? i meain it was so easy for me!! so easy in fact i didnt even try! i am curious if it was something that you know you did, or if it just decided now is the time to be stupid.

Kyprain

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem with my phone and my wifes and my 2 nephews. Got it fix just by going into Settings> USB setting > then I clicked Media player then back to Mass storage. worked on all 4 phones, mine is rooted the other 3 are stock.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Did I miss something? You fixed it by...warranty replacement?

:p

lol. i did!!! i rock!!!

seriously though, before i touch the new phone, is there anything you want from me on this end. a certian order you want me to do stuff? i wouldnt make this offer to just anyone, but, would it help you to remote into my computer and take a look at stuff through adb?

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
I had the same problem with my phone and my wifes and my 2 nephews. Got it fix just by going into Settings> USB setting > then I clicked Media player then back to Mass storage. worked on all 4 phones, mine is rooted the other 3 are stock.

Glad it worked for you. It doesn't for me.

Kyprain

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I think I had the phone plug in and tried to press the USB setting > Media player and it would not work, until I unplugged the cable then I could change from Mass storage to Media player then back to Mass storage.

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
The thing about tests/fixes like that is you need to reboot your phone without the cable in. 99% of the time, the fix was a one time thing.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
The thing about tests/fixes like that is you need to reboot your phone without the cable in. 99% of the time, the fix was a one time thing.

it doesnt show up as a cd rom, IT SHOWS AS MONEY!!! does that mean im rich? anyway, still have to reboot to get it to mount. it seems to run well. phone works great so does the music player and sms.

thanks again for all the hard work adrynalyne, your the man!