1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Possible Android convert: ? about the Fascinate

Whats going on guys? So I have been flirting with the Fascinate for weeks especially since buying a Galaxy Tab and love it. Im a long time BB user and actually had the Incredible before returning it because I just wasn't impressed. The Fascinate has been pulling me slowly but surely. Question is: I have been reading all around that 2.2 isn't available for VZW yet and no one knows when it will be ready. In short, is 2.1 any diff than 2.2 let alone will it EVER see 2.3? Android is a forever changing OS which is great but if I upgrade from my Bold to Android, I want to make sure it's one I won't regret.
    When I think of something good to write here, I will.

Global Posts
    2,340 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I don't know if the Fascinate will get 2.2. I doubt it will ever get 2.3. But, the 2.2 allows you to use Flash, and some apps made specifically for 2.2. Other then that, you won't notice much of a difference.

I would hold out for a couple more months and see all the phone that were introduced at the Consumer Electronics Show a couple weeks ago. Some look really sweet.

Or, get the iPhone next month (just kidding).
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    I don't know if the Fascinate will get 2.2. I doubt it will ever get 2.3. But, the 2.2 allows you to use Flash, and some apps made specifically for 2.2. Other then that, you won't notice much of a difference.

I would hold out for a couple more months and see all the phone that were introduced at the Consumer Electronics Show a couple weeks ago. Some look really sweet.

Or, get the iPhone next month (just kidding).
    i DID see the Thunderbolt which looks REALLY good but who knows when that'll drop. I mean the X is a nice phone but i love the UI on the Fascinate. Its such a great looking phone but I NEED flash for sure and HTML5 support...nothing like a REAL web experience.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by l_boogie820 View Post
    Whats going on guys? So I have been flirting with the Fascinate for weeks especially since buying a Galaxy Tab and love it. Im a long time BB user and actually had the Incredible before returning it because I just wasn't impressed. The Fascinate has been pulling me slowly but surely. Question is: I have been reading all around that 2.2 isn't available for VZW yet and no one knows when it will be ready. In short, is 2.1 any diff than 2.2 let alone will it EVER see 2.3? Android is a forever changing OS which is great but if I upgrade from my Bold to Android, I want to make sure it's one I won't regret.
    People (including me) want it because it's available. That said, every forum I've watched over the last year and a half, has been totally underwhelmed when they finally did get it. If you want apps2sd and the ability to see flash in web pages (doesn't work all that well and is mostly ads anyway) then you will want Froyo. Otherwise, you aren't missing anything. There is a JIT compiler in Froyo also, but the average user wouldn't even notice it.

Im an agent for Verizon and an owner of a Fascinate. As a salesmen I can tell you this device is a great device but with all the new devices comming out I would advise you to wait. HTC Thunderbolt, the iPhone4 and eventually in July the iPhone LTE and all the other dual core droids I would wait.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kb31550 View Post
    eventually in July
    *gasp*!

Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Yeah, In addition to what people have also mentioned with the benefits to Froyo is the accessories that Verizon put out. The Dock charger, and car charger both have 3.5mm jacks in them that are not capable for use until 2.2. That and Facebook are my majors reasons for wanting it. Facebook has notifications that are tied to the app so I would no longer need my fb email account on my phone nor rely in SMS messages which have been really behind lately...
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    People (including me) want it because it's available. That said, every forum I've watched over the last year and a half, has been totally underwhelmed when they finally did get it. If you want apps2sd and the ability to see flash in web pages (doesn't work all that well and is mostly ads anyway) then you will want Froyo. Otherwise, you aren't missing anything. There is a JIT compiler in Froyo also, but the average user wouldn't even notice it.
    See, Android terminology is something I need to learn. LOL. All I know is that I have Dolphin Browser on my Tab set @ Desktop and have full web experience. All I want is that on my Fascinate (like opening YouTube videos straight from FB page without having to enter a watered down mobile site. I have games like Angry Birds, Baseball, Ninja Jump, etc..Tango, ooVoo (all which I will have to use a litle mirror to see the other side)...basically, I love my Tab and the Fascinate, because it's also made by Samsung, is a great phone I feel and I just essentially want a "pocket" version of my tab.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by kb31550 View Post
    Im an agent for Verizon and an owner of a Fascinate. As a salesmen I can tell you this device is a great device but with all the new devices comming out I would advise you to wait. HTC Thunderbolt, the iPhone4 and eventually in July the iPhone LTE and all the other dual core droids I would wait.
    I hear ya. Thanks. Its jsut I cant take my BB anymore and I REALLY want to upgrade. Ive used BB for years and now after using my Tab, I dont know why I didnt switch sooner. I was considering the X as well. I just love the UI on the Samsung though.

Global Posts
    961 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10/Devil

Getting 2.2 for the Fascinate will just be icing on the cake. Most people, including myself, wouldn't be so up in arms about getting Froyo if we hadn't been swayed to think it was going to happen so many times. Even with 2.1, I still believe that the Fascinate is the best VZ phone to have at this time. It beats the X and Inc in so many other ways that not having full flash and app2sd is uninfluential in choosing a device.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    1,688 Global Posts
    ROM
    GummyCharge 1.9.1

I say go for it. This is the best device available right now hardware wise, and we have very talented devs working on 2.2 and 2.3 as we speak. A version 1 build of Froyo is actually available now thanks to punk kaos, but the bugs are still being worked out. You could probably see a stable release in the next few days with all of the progress he's been making
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gossett View Post
    I say go for it. This is the best device available right now hardware wise, and we have very talented devs working on 2.2 and 2.3 as we speak. A version 1 build of Froyo is actually available now thanks to punk kaos, but the bugs are still being worked out. You could probably see a stable release in the next few days with all of the progress he's been making
    I just left the Verizon store and played with Fascinate and love it but two of the guys were like "wait until around march when the Thunderbolt and Bionic come out..." Then he went in to specs. I'm not a fan of motorola but HTC I like....I'm not TOO crazy about the front face cam since I have my Tablet BUT if the Fascinate can run a SOLID 2.2 or 2.3 as you've stated, I'd for sure grab this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    1,688 Global Posts
    ROM
    GummyCharge 1.9.1

The same developer who had the Eris running updates well beyond its means is new whitening on the Fascinate, along with some other incredible devs, so rest assured
    Last edited by Kevin Gossett; 01-14-2011 at 06:46 PM.

I just left the Verizon store and played with Fascinate and love it but two of the guys were like "wait until around march when the Thunderbolt and Bionic come out..." Then he went in to specs. I'm not a fan of motorola but HTC I like....I'm not TOO crazy about the front face cam since I have my Tablet BUT if the Fascinate can run a SOLID 2.2 or 2.3 as you've stated, I'd for sure grab this.
    Keep in mind that the new devices won't be all that rosy either. These are brand new 4G phones, lots of new software and other crap baked in. Think of them as 1.0 versions, and you'll have to deal with a lot of tweaks coming to the phones in the near term. This is just reality; we've seen it over and over again.

Since the latest maintenance release, the Fascinate is a pretty stable, mature device. We will get 2.2 (ignore all the babble saying otherwise) and you'll have a nice phone that should suit you till you're up for another upgrade.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gossett View Post
    The save developer who had the Eris running updates well beyond its means is new whitening on the Fascinate, along with some other incredible devs, so rest assured

Is upgrading a custom 2.2 OS or 2.3 easy? Ill read around but is it easy to follow?

Global Posts
    961 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10/Devil

Quote Originally Posted by bluevolume View Post
    Keep in mind that the new devices won't be all that rosy either. These are brand new 4G phones, lots of new software and other crap baked in. Think of them as 1.0 versions, and you'll have to deal with a lot of tweaks coming to the phones in the near term. This is just reality; we've seen it over and over again.
    The last of old technology is always better than the first of new.

Is upgrading a custom 2.2 OS or 2.3 easy? Ill read around but is it easy to follow?
    Should be the same process as flashing a ROM. Odds are it would be done either with CWM or Odin.

Global Posts
    146 Global Posts

unless you live in bfe, you would be stupid to not wait for a LTE phone.

personally, HTC > motorola > samsung > Ifail

Global Posts
    146 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bluevolume View Post

Since the latest maintenance release, the Fascinate is a pretty stable, mature device. We will get 2.2 (ignore all the babble saying otherwise) and you'll have a nice phone that should suit you till you're up for another upgrade.
    completly disagree with not getting a 4g phone. the only reason to say that is if you just bought a 3g phone and you are trying to defend your purchase. i've had the EVO, first 4g phone ever, and it's been great.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

4G isn't in my home town. Yea, my job is located in the NY metro area so I have it here but idk. I made the purchase to try the phone for 30 days (luckily I made it before they changed the policy to 14 days). If I don't like it, ill return it and wait for a 4G phone. Hopefully I can get 2.2 on this and then go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by 81 View Post
    completly disagree with not getting a 4g phone. the only reason to say that is if you just bought a 3g phone and you are trying to defend your purchase. i've had the EVO, first 4g phone ever, and it's been great.
    Ok, then explain exactly what phone we should be holding out for, and what the 4G data packages are going to cost. I'm serious, I have a week left to return my fascinate. Give me the right path forward.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    1,688 Global Posts
    ROM
    GummyCharge 1.9.1

We don't know anything about what the cost will be for LTE... So you can't base a decision on that. And I don't think any devices will be available until possibly March
    Frugal Nerd Tinkerer

Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted, leaned out stock

In the current tech market there will always be something "revolutionary" a few months out. My father and sister both have Evo's - fantastic devices, but they pay extra for 4g whether they want it or not. VZW has always had the most expensive data plans - do not delude yourself into thinking that they are not going to up the ante for LTE.

I was torn between the X and my FSN8 - wife has the X and I have the Sammy - froyo or no froyo my phone is definitely a nicer device.

I would purposely not get LTE as the upgrade will cost at least $10 more per month. I never feel like my connection is holding me back here in Cincinnati. But if you are not in a hurry then wait and see.

If speed is valuable to you and you are in LTE area...I would wait
    Lte is supposed to have cable modem speed...who wouldn't want that?

ROM
    DL09

im happy with the speed i see no reason to pay the extra 10

Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    ROM
    GummyCharged GBE

I just got the Fascinate about a month ago for the same reason - I loved my Galaxy Tab so much, I wanted a phone version of it. I've honestly never been a huge fan of 2.2 - my Tab is the first device I've owned with 2.2 that I've been happy with. When I put 2.2 on my OG Droid, it took up over 15% more space on the internal memory and that was after I moves all of my apps to sd. The Droid X was an awesome device for the very short time I got to enjoy it on 2.1 and then I did the anticipated update to 2.2 and I couldn't believe how crappy that phone got! Too many bugs to count, that after trying to deal with it for a couple of months, I finally went down to Best Buy and picked me up a Fascinate to, hopefully, have a phone that I would love as much as my Tab. And after rooting it and debloating it, I can honestly say that it has lived up to its potential. And so far this new update is awesome and has made the phone even snappier - after rooting and debloating it again, of course. I'm kinda, sorta contemplating getting the Thunderbolt when it comes out - mostly just to try out something new, I've never owned an HTC device yet, but I really like this phone - the form factor of it is awesome and the Thunderbolt just doesn't seem to have that going for it - it looks a bit thick and the LTE isn't going to be available here for quite sometime and even when it gets here I'm still not sure I'll be interested in it, honestly, but I will probably end up eating my words on that.

Really long story short - if you choose to get the Fascinate, I can't see how you will be disappointed, its an awesome device.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk