Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Like I said man, you may just have two apps that's don't play well together. Start swapping out apps that you use for a similar one, I would start with try a new battery widget and see if it improves. If not try chomp SMS, or go back to stock instead of handcent. Anything else you have on your phone that could be described as a "Service" app, switch it. One app a day until you get it all squared up. If you switch to another live wallpaper, give that a day as well. When I say service apps I mean anything that isn't self contained like games, calculator, stuff like that. If it wants to reach out to the internet by itself, try something else. If you're set up to recieve notifications from Facebook and twitter, turn down the frequency to half hour at MOST. Sometimes battery issues are just a matter of tinkering until you guess the right thing. When in doubt try juice defender. Some people have awesome luck with it, other people swear it's the devil, but it's worth a try.

n3rdcor3

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
I recently bought 2 after market Samsung batteries with a wall charger from ebay. The only dfference on the battery is that it doesntsay VRW and te phone model number. Other than that you couldnt tell the difference. My qestion is why when i have te new battery in the phone does it say :battery not connected" when i have it plugged into my computer or te wall charger that came with the phone? It only happens with the after market battery.

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I kno this has been asked before but if I keep wifi on all the time does it kill the battery faster

It depends on the situation. Having WiFi turned on does use power, but a WiFi connection takes priority over a 3G data connection, so if you have WiFi on and are connected, the phone automatically drops the 3G data connection, which consumes more power. If you have WiFi off, it'll be running the 3G radio all the time.

I think the biggest power hogs are the cellular radios and the screen. I have my old iPhone in airplane mode with WiFi on, and it'll last for weeks on a charge.

afbar1114

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
It depends on the situation. Having WiFi turned on does use power, but a WiFi connection takes priority over a 3G data connection, so if you have WiFi on and are connected, the phone automatically drops the 3G data connection, which consumes more power. If you have WiFi off, it'll be running the 3G radio all the time.

I think the biggest power hogs are the cellular radios and the screen. I have my old iPhone in airplane mode with WiFi on, and it'll last for weeks on a charge.

so just use wifi when i have it like when i am at home. should i leave it on or turn off when i leave the house and does it use more then 3G or does the 3G use more power

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Go to Settings > Wireless & networks > Wi-Fi settings and hit the menu button and go to advanced. Set your wifi sleep policy to when screen turns off (should be the default). It will only turn on and scan when you turn your screen on then. If you're in range of a remembered network, it will connect. If not, it will notify you of open networks in range. If you're really looking to get the very best out of the battery, sure turning it off when you're not planning on using it will help. But you probably wouldn't even notice because of how little it actually does use power. Just like with the GPS, if you don't see the icon for it in the notification bar, its not using it.

afbar1114

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Go to Settings > Wireless & networks > Wi-Fi settings and hit the menu button and go to advanced. Set your wifi sleep policy to when screen turns off (should be the default). It will only turn on and scan when you turn your screen on then. If you're in range of a remembered network, it will connect. If not, it will notify you of open networks in range. If you're really looking to get the very best out of the battery, sure turning it off when you're not planning on using it will help. But you probably wouldn't even notice because of how little it actually does use power. Just like with the GPS, if you don't see the icon for it in the notification bar, its not using it.

dont i want it on all the time even off so its using the wifi insted of 3g

afbar1114

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Ok Thank you.is there a way to see what is running so I can save ram and battery.i use super manager to kill apps I am not using.is there a way to do this automaticaly?

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Android already handles killing apps that aren't needed to free RAM for others that do on its own. In actuality, you're using more resources by stopping programs manually with a task killer like that because most of them will restart automatically. Just use the built in task manager to end the programs that don't close when you hit the back button like the music player and stock browser. It's a tough thing to get used to, but on Android, more free RAM isn't necessarily better.

As far as the battery goes, I like to keep an eye on the Battery monitor in Settings > About phone. After a days worth of use see what's taking the most power and adjust accordingly. Most of the time, your display is going to be the most power hungry. You can help that by lowering your brightness , or have it automatically adjust based on ambient light. Also keep in mind brighter images require more power to display. Using darker colored wallpapers and backgrounds for apps will help as well.

realDroid92

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
TLDR: Try InvisiBright
invisibright - Search Android Apps on AppBrain
-----------------------------
That's good advice, but some apps that I use often (browser, readers, maps, gmail, etc...) can't have their backgrounds changed to dark. Also, the AutoBrightness feature is way too aggressive for me + has issues in the sun.

I used the brightness slider on Quick Settings and similar shortcut apps for a while. Then I got frustrated because I would often need to adjust several times to get the brightness I wanted. This is because the a settings window would block the color scheme for the app I was using!!! For adjusting something so simple and so important for battery life, the brightness app needs to be as unobtrusive as possible.

Now I use InvisiBright. Maybe it's just because I use it compulsively, but I'm seeing at least 2 hours of extra battery life compared to AutoBrightness. I guess idea is that it's hassle free enough TO BE used compulsively :p

Reactions: jack22182

dumpin_donughts

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
check your display % in battery use. AutoBrightness has been way to bright for me, especially when the screen is showing light colors. See if manual brightness adjustment apps change anything. Favorites:

InvisiBright, Quick Settings, AdjBrightness

InvisiBright is fastest/easiest/invisible-est, but doesn't have quick toggles to other settings like Quick Settings.

Reactions: jack22182

realDroid92

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
If you don't have screen brightness set to auto, I would also recommend doing that as well.

NO. Not only is auto brightness too bright too often, but as it polls the light sensor it is sucking battery. If you want constant control of brightness from inside any app, try InvisiBright. Otherwise, if you can bear with it, just set a very low level manually and keep it there.

InvisiBright! - Android app on AppBrain

shannonkish

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
My battery drops pretty rapidly, especially since the DL09 update. I am not rooted. Wifi and GPS are always on. I do travel a lot for work daily so it is probably having to seek a signal. BUT, it drops rapidly. For example, after a full charge at 7am, my battery was in the yellow by 12:00 Noon of the same day. I have to constantly keep a second full battery with me as well as a car charger and pc cable.

It wasn't this bad before the DL09 update though. Before the update, I could go all day (7am-9pm) before seeing yellow. I haven't changed my usage habits at all.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante