Samsung not Verizon?

afbar1114

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Samsung not Verizon?

I just did a Google search for our phone and it seems Samsung is to blame for us not getting froyo because Samsung wants all the us carriers to pay per phone for this update because they don’t consider it a maintenance upgrade but a feature upgrade. plus samsung wants to sell thier 4g phones not thier 3g ones and forget abouts 3G-ers. So it may be Samsung after all and not Verizon. I posted links to the stories below.

Links:
Samsung Must Come Clean on Android Updates | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Are Samsung Galaxy S Froyo Updates Being Held Back Because Of Cost? | Android News, Reviews, Applications, Games, Phones, Devices, Tips, Mods, Videos, Podcasts - Android Police

nugiene

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Wow, ya know...not only is it sad that we U.S. Galaxy S suckers are got bilked, but also the fast that Samsung/Verizon/T-Mobile/Spring(?) are quiet on this matter. I understand that it is all rumor until verified. Still, you would think that they would really really not want this kind of PR. 60 mil in 2011? Right?!

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
If it's on the internet it must be true.

lol. you are so right.

samsung doesnt have that kind of power. if they piss off thier customers, well they will have less customers. im not talking about you and me. they dont care about you and me. i spent $150 on this phone. thats chump change compared to the millions of dollars verizon paid for the contract with samsung, which if anyone their had half a brain would have stated which updates and when they get rolled out. the problem lies with both equally. vzw has so much crap they want on the phone and samsung is taking thier sweet time making it all work.

TheANARCHY

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Couple this... If it's true (food for thought even if it isn't)... With the posting about an all new mega wonderful Galaxy S phone on the main page and it's a black eye for Google & Android. If they can't keep the hardware vendors from mucking around with the software that is provided free of charge there will be much more fragmentation down the road.

And the flash a custom ROM thing is good for somebody like me, but the average consumer gets a phone that promises this functionality from Verizon/Samsung and they don't scour the net looking for solutions. They go back to where they got the phone. If there is no solution that fixes it at that point they trade it in for something else. Maybe it sours them on Android for good. "That Other Phone" is available there now.

This very scenario is happening in my house. My wife is waiting for Feb. 3 to order her iPhone 4. She likes it better than Android since we switched from AT&T. Yes she is gonna pay full price and she doesn't care in the least. The phone will do what she wants with no problems and the apps she uses regularly, all available in the app store, are frankly better designed for the iPhone.

Sad statement but it's true folks. :(

Ytaay

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
gunner my man, im not so sure about that; samsung galaxy s phones are extremely popular so they do have some power/leverage there. it sounds like vzw and samsung are perhaps disagreeing on how to interpret the contract between them.

but all the us carriers united against samsung, coupled with angry users will hopefully lead to them doing the right thing.

the android user community is strong and samsung would be wise to get their 5hit together or they might find a lot of people jumping ship to motorola or htc on their next upgrade.

sjenkins1009

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Acer speaking with a VZW exec on Friday I firmly believe the problem is not on Verizon but Samsung. According to the Guy I spoke with the entire ball is in samsungs court and Verizon hasn't even received the 2.2 update to test with their phones before deploying. This call came after an email to VZW Pres so take from it what you will. In the meantime I am going the root method with flashing and hoping the development teams get us a working froyo. It looks like they are close.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

bluevolume

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Acer speaking with a VZW exec on Friday I firmly believe the problem is not on Verizon but Samsung. According to the Guy I spoke with the entire ball is in samsungs court and Verizon hasn't even received the 2.2 update to test with their phones before deploying. This call came after an email to VZW Pres so take from it what you will. In the meantime I am going the root method with flashing and hoping the development teams get us a working froyo. It looks like they are close.

Thats good info. And when I called VZW support last week, I was told that the GPS issue was not their problem, because it had to do with "the satellites". "You know, its the satellites and we have no control over them." This was level 2 tech support.

Verizon support people are of no use in matters like these. If you want your phone replaced, give them a call. Otherwise, you really need to apply the "fool me twice" principle.

afbar1114

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Thats good info. And when I called VZW support last week, I was told that the GPS issue was not their problem, because it had to do with "the satellites". "You know, its the satellites and we have no control over them." This was level 2 tech support.

Verizon support people are of no use in matters like these. If you want your phone replaced, give them a call. Otherwise, you really need to apply the "fool me twice" principle.

after the dl09 update that fixed my GPS i am happy with the phone. i rooted it and all and no complaints. well just one that the car dock aux worked... any fix?

sjenkins1009

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
after the dl09 update that fixed my GPS i am happy with the phone. i rooted it and all and no complaints. well just one that the car dock aux worked... any fix?

The car dock auxiliary isn't going to work till 2.2 if I am correct in my remembering. I only have 2 desk docks. There should have been a sticker over the auxiliary port saying not operational till froyo.... which is why we are all pissed at this point. Well at least me.... but xda is working on helping me through that with the alpha froyo they are working on.

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Anytime there is an issue like this between 2 big corporations they're always going to point the finger the other way. If you really think a higher up at VZ is going to say "yeah, it's our fault, we're sorry" you're off your rocker. Lets use some real world examples... If it was Samsung's fault, why does the Telus Fascinate have 2.2 and not VZ's?

afbar1114

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
The car dock auxiliary isn't going to work till 2.2 if I am correct in my remembering. I only have 2 desk docks. There should have been a sticker over the auxiliary port saying not operational till froyo.... which is why we are all pissed at this point. Well at least me.... but xda is working on helping me through that with the alpha froyo they are working on.

it had the same sticker on the car dock i was just asking to see if a fix came up yet otherwise this is a great phone