Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    afbar1114's Avatar

    Posts
    449 Posts
    ROM
    froyo

    Default 32GB microSDHC card?

    is it worth getting a 32gb microsd card? will it make the phone faster or is it just for more memory?
  2. #2  
    gunnermike53's Avatar

    Posts
    3,199 Posts
    ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by afbar1114 View Post
    is it worth getting a 32gb microsd card? will it make the phone faster or is it just for more memory?
    tell you what, mail me one and i will tell you how it works!!

    the sd card is for storage. the only way it would change the speed of your phone would be if you got a different class card. higher class faster card.
  3. #3  
    Chris Kerrigan's Avatar

    Posts
    3,876 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gunnermike53 View Post
    tell you what, mail me one and i will tell you how it works!!

    the sd card is for storage. the only way it would change the speed of your phone would be if you got a different class card. higher class faster card.
    And that's only if the system/hardware supports the higher classes.

    New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks
  4. #4  
    Cyber Warrior's Avatar
    Robots Will Kill

    Posts
    8,566 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

    Default

    I wouldn't spend $200 for a SD card just to possibly make the phone a little faster. Root+custom rom+overclock= FREE.. You can spend that $200 for a new phone. Having two phones will be way faster.
  5. #5  
    gunnermike53's Avatar

    Posts
    3,199 Posts
    ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

    Default

    newegg has 32g for 90. im thinking of getting one. not for the speed so much as the extra storage.
  6. #6  
    Cory Streater's Avatar
    Forums Emeritus

    Posts
    12,995 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

    Default

    Isn't it weird how thread titles change when I'm around?

    Anyways, if you have some time to kill, I would get this Lexar class 10 card. It's averaging $90, through 3rd party resellers, but it's also on backorder. I ordered mine through Amazon.
  7. #7  
    gunnermike53's Avatar

    Posts
    3,199 Posts
    ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    Isn't it weird how thread titles change when I'm around?

    Anyways, if you have some time to kill, I would get this Lexar class 10 card. It's averaging $90, through 3rd party resellers, but it's also on backorder. I ordered mine through Amazon.
    yeah i saw the 3gb, i thought do they even make a 3gb?

    a class 10 for 90, oooooooooo
  8. #8  
    Chris Kerrigan's Avatar

    Posts
    3,876 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Yeah I ordered mine when I first saw this (I think somewhere here on the forums, actually). That's a steal.

    New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks
  9. #9  
    Cory Streater's Avatar
    Forums Emeritus

    Posts
    12,995 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gunnermike53 View Post
    yeah i saw the 3gb, i thought do they even make a 3gb?

    a class 10 for 90, oooooooooo
    The OP said 3gb in his thread title and I changed it to 32, thinking that's what he meant. Now you're saying 3 also. Am I misunderstanding or are you kidding? Anyway I wish that sucker would get out of back order status, I really want it. I'm thinking it might solve some of the lag I see in Touchdown and Roadsync, because I have both programs configured to store data on the SD card instead on internal memory. Another member in the forums bought and has the Lexar and reported it performs extremely well.
  10. #10  
    Chris3D's Avatar

    Posts
    647 Posts
    Global Posts
    646 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kerrigan View Post
    And that's only if the system/hardware supports the higher classes.
    And it would only make a difference when the phone was reading/writing stuff from/to the SD card - not in the normal running on the OS.
  11. #11  
    etmarcr's Avatar

    Posts
    21 Posts
    ROM
    EH03

    Default

    Checking Amazon.com now and looks like that SD card only sells with a reader for $108, but the note indicates "usually ships within 1 to 2 months"!

    By the way, this is my first post and I was wondering what is a 'Nanite' ??
  12. #12  
    Cory Streater's Avatar
    Forums Emeritus

    Posts
    12,995 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

    Default

    Yeah that's indeed the length of time mine said too. Often times Amazon gives you these ridiculous time frames that end up being a lot sooner. Not saying it won't take that long, but if past is any indication of the future, it will be much sooner.

    The label is based on post count. A nanite is 49 or less. All the various levels are in the AC Meta forum.

    Thanks for becoming a member!
  13. #13  
    djlim4's Avatar

    Posts
    102 Posts
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    ROM
    SC2.4voodoo

    Default

    Hey so did you guys get these cards in yet? if so, how are they performing? I transfer lots of 1-2gb size video files often and a class 10 should improve the time it takes right? Lastly, I was wondering, if comparing a 16gb vs. a 32gb, same class, same manufacturer, will it take longer for the phone to scan the disk because there is more to scan? assuming they both have 10gb filled.
  14. #14  
    Cory Streater's Avatar
    Forums Emeritus

    Posts
    12,995 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

    Default

    I ordered mine on January 17th, and it finally shipped yesterday. It's due for delivery on Monday. I'll report back and let you know what I think. I'll be pulling out the benchmarking tools and everything
    Thanked by:
    djlim4 
  15. #15  
  16. #16  
    Cory Streater's Avatar
    Forums Emeritus

    Posts
    12,995 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by djlim4 View Post
    Hey so did you guys get these cards in yet? if so, how are they performing? I transfer lots of 1-2gb size video files often and a class 10 should improve the time it takes right? Lastly, I was wondering, if comparing a 16gb vs. a 32gb, same class, same manufacturer, will it take longer for the phone to scan the disk because there is more to scan? assuming they both have 10gb filled.
    I haven't done any official benchmarking tests yet, but I did do a pretty large file transfer (mix of files/sizes).

    You know how long it took me to transfer 22GB of data from my Lexar to my desktop? 22 minutes. You know how long it took me to transfer the same amount from my Sandisk to my desktop? 21 minutes.
    Thanked by:
    djlim4 
  17. #17  
    MrSmith317's Avatar
    Mr Fix-It

    Posts
    2,214 Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

    Default

    I have one and if anything it makes everything a little less stable. I never had to "undock" from windows before and now I do. I almost wish I never upgraded from 16GB.
  18. #18  
    djlim4's Avatar

    Posts
    102 Posts
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    ROM
    SC2.4voodoo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith317 View Post
    I have one and if anything it makes everything a little less stable. I never had to "undock" from windows before and now I do. I almost wish I never upgraded from 16GB.
    hmm... now i'm not so gungho about finding one in stock... are you using a lexar? or do you have a 32gb from sandisk? I'm wondering if the stability issue you're talking about has anything to do with the manufacturer.
    And thanks Cory for taking the time to reply about a seemingly trivial topic amidst the plethora of themes/roms/flashing issues since 2.2
  19. #19  
    DAFFYDC's Avatar

    Posts
    45 Posts
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts

    Default

    Once we get froyo we can save apps to the SD card which would be nice.
  20. #20  
    Cory Streater's Avatar
    Forums Emeritus

    Posts
    12,995 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by djlim4 View Post
    And thanks Cory for taking the time to reply about a seemingly trivial topic amidst the plethora of themes/roms/flashing issues since 2.2
    No problem at all. These cards are expensive purchases, and people should know what they are getting before they put out their hard earned money on them. My above observations were very non scientific, so I will post some results in a bit. I'll update this post when I have them.

    P.S. - I've seen the Windows error above with my Sandisk also. I wouldn't let that deter you from buying one. I've seen that error on all sorts of cards in the past, and I'm not really sure what triggers it.
  21. #21  
    gunnermike53's Avatar

    Posts
    3,199 Posts
    ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daffy DC View Post
    Once we get froyo we can save apps to the SD card which would be nice.
    its not that great. if you use a widget that is installed on your sd the widget wont load after a reboot. but more than that, theres plenty of room on the internal mem for apps. imo
  22. #22  

    Default

    Cory, are you saying that the SanDisc Verizon sells is actually faster that the class10 Lexar? Isn't the Sandisk a class 2?

    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  23. #23  
    djlim4's Avatar

    Posts
    102 Posts
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    ROM
    SC2.4voodoo

    Default

    I think the Sandisk is a class 4. It says class 2, but on the actual card i think there's a 4 written on it.
  24. #24  
    Cory Streater's Avatar
    Forums Emeritus

    Posts
    12,995 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

    Default

    If it's an authentic 32GB SanDisk card (mine shipped directly from them), it should have a 2 stamped on it.

    Class determines the minimum write speed a card must meet for the designated class.

    Class 2 = 2 MB/s
    Class 4 = 4 MB/s
    Class 6 = 6 MB/s
    Class 10 = 10 MB/s

    Both cards were freshly formatted. Benchmarking tests results from SiSoftware. If I'm reading these results correctly, the Lexar falls short of a Class 10, and the SanDisk could pass for a Class 4. At the price you can get a SanDisk card for, vs. the Lexar, I really question whether the slight lead Lexar has in the combined results really justifies the extra money.

  25. #25  

    Default

    Thanks for the info. Think I will just pick up the Sandisk from Verizon with my 20% discount on the 99 card. Was leery that the Lexar was actually worth the premium.

    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions