Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Talking Why I love my fascinate without 2.2

    So there's been a ton of talk over 2.2, but I feel like I should point out some things that I just can't get enough of on the fascinate, and probably the other samsung galaxy S phones.

    My Files - For something so simple it seems really stupid that the average android smart phone doesn't include a file manager on board. I owned 3 sony ericsson walkman phones and they all came with a great file manager as a FEATURE PHONE! What ***** could not include one.

    Task Manager - This is a less powerful, but VERY useful app, along with the program monitor widget, that keeps the phone running like a dream for your average android newbie. Being less powerful also keep the uninformed from destabilizing their phones by killing apps that shouldn't be killed. I sell phones all day, and 1 in 4 comes back with advanced task killer, and broken blue tooth, email, apps, calls and more. When I can uninstall it and throw up program monitor instead it makes my life so easy, and makes my customers really happy.

    The eye candy - The fascinate lock screen is a huge visual upgrade IMO, and makes the phone feel nicer. The puzzle piece interface also allows you to jump straight to whatever notification you're probably unlocking your phone to get at. The dock, and app drawer are a lot nicer than most, even though I use a launcher, I still love the lock screen.

    Notification shade - In the notification shade you've got all the pertinent toggles that you'll probably want in a flash without going into settings, or flipping to where ever you left that widget.

    Smoother interface - When you go to add an e-mail address on the fascinate you just open the app. I know at least with moto blur you're average 6 clicks from adding your account. Messaging? an extra click. By combining so many features into a single app it feels more integrated, but in fact just ends up wasting time.

    I understand that some people hate touchwiz, and there are apps to provide most of the functionality that I mention here, but really some of these features are so much better when integrated, and I fly through my phone standing right next to my boss with his droid X, my co worker with her droid 2, and my dad with his HTC. I think all beefs aside if you were to compare TouchWiz with any other UI, it'll fight to the finish, without adding the complicated settings provided with most aftermarket launchers. Opinions please! What's everyone else think?

    (Don't get me wrong, i'd punch a kitten for 2.2, but I still flaunt my phone all day, and feel good about it.)
    Last edited by Sheepdog Elite; 01-21-2011 at 11:45 PM.
    Thanked by:
  2. #2  
    gunnermike53's Avatar

    Posts
    3,195 Posts
    ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

    Default

    ok, at first i was slightly annoyed that there is yet another thread started that really belongs in one of the other 7000000000000000000000 threads on this subject.

    but then you made this coment:

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdog Elite View Post
    (Don't get me wrong, i'd punch a kitten for 2.2, but I still flaunt my phone all day, and feel good about it.)
    now im mad at you because i woke my wife up becasue i cant stop laughing!!!!
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default

    I felt good posting this as an individual thread because I was hoping people might have an interest in expressing what they really like about the fascinate, instead of complaining about not having 2.2. Think of it as a counter culture don't mope, rejoice instead, type of discussion.
  4. #4  
    Chris Kerrigan's Avatar

    Posts
    3,877 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdog Elite View Post
    So there's been a ton of talk over 2.2, but I feel like I should point out some things that I just can't get enough of on the fascinate, and probably the other samsung galaxy S phones.

    My Files - For something so simple it seems really stupid that the average android smart phone doesn't include a file manager on board. I owned 3 sony ericsson walkman phones and they all came with a great file manager as a FEATURE PHONE! What ***** could not include one.

    Task Manager - This is a less powerful, but VERY useful app, along with the program monitor widget, that keeps the phone running like a dream for your average android newbie. Being less powerful also keep the uninformed from destabilizing their phones by killing apps that shouldn't be killed. I sell phones all day, and 1 in 4 comes back with advanced task killer, and broken blue tooth, email, apps, calls and more. When I can uninstall it and throw up program monitor instead it makes my life so easy, and makes my customers really happy.

    The eye candy - The fascinate lock screen is a huge visual upgrade IMO, and makes the phone feel nicer. The puzzle piece interface also allows you to jump straight to whatever notification you're probably unlocking your phone to get at. The dock, and app drawer are a lot nicer than most, even though I use a launcher, I still love the lock screen.

    Notification shade - In the notification shade you've got all the pertinent toggles that you'll probably want in a flash without going into settings, or flipping to where ever you left that widget.

    Smoother interface - When you go to add an e-mail address on the fascinate you just open the app. I know at least with moto blur you're average 6 clicks from adding your account. Messaging? an extra click. By combining so many features into a single app it feels more integrated, but in fact just ends up wasting time.

    I understand that some people hate touchwiz, and there are apps to provide most of the functionality that I mention here, but really some of these features are so much better when integrated, and I fly through my phone standing right next to my boss with his droid X, my co worker with her droid 2, and my dad with his HTC. I think all beefs aside if you were to compare TouchWiz with any other UI, it'll fight to the finish, without adding the complicated settings provided with most aftermarket launchers. Opinions please! What's everyone else think?

    (Don't get me wrong, i'd punch a kitten for 2.2, but I still flaunt my phone all day, and feel good about it.)
    Excellent write-up, and I agree with basically everything you said! Of course I'd like to have Froyo, but I'm more just agitated with the fact that Verizon doesn't seem to care too much for communicating.

    That last part is absolutely brilliant. I almost choked

    New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks
  5. #5  
    therent's Avatar

    Posts
    43 Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

    Default

    I love having DivX support right out of the box.
  6. #6  

    Default

    I too LOVE my fascinate "as is" but still check here daily for Froyo update news! Love the thread.

    Best phone ever, so far... Coming from Windows Mobile (10 years+) it was hard to make the switch to Android but no going back. So much smoother and fun to use. Not even tempted by Windows 7.

    Now as far as LTE, I could be tempted. I've always changed phones frequently and the new policy at Verizon will be a challenge.

    MsGadget13
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MsGadget13 View Post
    I too LOVE my fascinate "as is" but still check here daily for Froyo update news! Love the thread.

    Best phone ever, so far... Coming from Windows Mobile (10 years+) it was hard to make the switch to Android but no going back. So much smoother and fun to use. Not even tempted by Windows 7.

    Now as far as LTE, I could be tempted. I've always changed phones frequently and the new policy at Verizon will be a challenge.

    MsGadget13
    I actually sell verizon at a third party location. The way I look at it is this, add another line. Buy a cheap flip phone online for full price (or get an extra from a friend). Use the new line for the extra upgrade. At $240 over 2 years for the extra line you'll never use you end up paying at most $490 for the $600ish phone, if you're smart you can get it for as little as $340 (costco style with free accessories and better in store service). Makes it alot less painful to get a new phone when you pay a healthy part of the price spread over 2 years. (Technically 20 months if you're getting new phone absolutely as soon as you are eligible.) Just my .02, and i'll be doing this if I ever see a phone I can't live without.

    As a foot note this only applies if you've already got 2 verizon lines.
    Last edited by Sheepdog Elite; 01-22-2011 at 01:55 AM.
  8. #8  
    gunnermike53's Avatar

    Posts
    3,195 Posts
    ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

    Default

    is it wrong that i wanna go punch a kitten? does that make a bad person?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gunnermike53 View Post
    is it wrong that i wanna go punch a kitten? does that make a bad person?
    Absolutely, and absolutely. Where do you think we are? Soviet Russia? Except in Soviet russia kitten punch you for 2.2.
  10. #10  

    Default

    or is 2.2 so good it punches the kitten for you?

    ...in Soviet Russia that is.
  11. #11  
    gunnermike53's Avatar

    Posts
    3,195 Posts
    ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xeroslash View Post
    or is 2.2 so good it punches the kitten for you?

    ...in Soviet Russia that is.
    i like that.
  12. #12  

    Default

    See how big the "where's froyo for the fascinate" thread is? There are bunches of ppl aggravated about this prob. Yeah it'll probably bring some welcome improvements and it stinks that vzw and sam don't say anything, but still....this phone rocks, rooted, even more. Dj05/custom rom makes me happy.
  13. #13  
    gyroslice's Avatar

    Posts
    241 Posts
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

    Default

    you get the sense from reading some of these forums that people view their 2.1 fascinates as an abomination. i'm glad to see some folks are just as happy with their phone as I am. with the exception of the mic being turned off while headphones are plugged (suppose to fixed with froyo) I could care less when they release froyo.
  14. #14  
    mknollman123's Avatar
    Frugal Nerd Tinkerer

    Posts
    429 Posts
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted, leaned out stock

    Default

    Updating to the leaked dj05 cured my microphone issue. No need to unplug headphones anymore. I love this phone. My wife has the X with 2.2 and we both agree mine looks nicer and runs smoother. She is also jealous of the toggles on the drop down and side swiping appdrawer.

    I do not want froyo until it is as solid as eclair is now on this device. I am rooted with the stock rom and feel no need to flash.

    Oh and the screen is SEX.


    Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
  15. #15  
    Dr. K_Xen's Avatar

    Posts
    89 Posts
    ROM
    Comm Rom 1.2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdog Elite View Post
    (Don't get me wrong, i'd punch a kitten for 2.2, but I still flaunt my phone all day, and feel good about it.)
    Bahahaha awesome. Except for the kitten part...maybe a puppy...
    Moto Razr -> LG Glimmer -> Samsung Fascinate!

    If you aren't Voodoo you are doo doo!
  16. #16  
    gyroslice's Avatar

    Posts
    241 Posts
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

    Default

    do you need to be rooted to install the leaked dj05? my last two experiences with rooting haven't turned out so good. (htc hero was laggy and buggy. nook color the sound was permanently muted). neither here nor there do you have a link for the dj05?
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

    Default



    Try here. And yes you need to be rooted. Just follow this thread http://forum.androidcentral.com/veri...fascinate.html and then you'll be able to make nandroid backups from your recovery. I strongly recommend purchasing Titanium Backup, and using it to back up all of your apps. If you have a bad flashing experience and have to revert to stock you can just do a quick root, and use titanium back up to restore all of your app with their data.
  18. #18  

    Default

    yeah i would love to have 2.2 too, but this fascinate is the **** already for me. coming from an env touch, i'm more than happy with 2.1, but i'll be happier with 2.2. can't get enough of this awesome screen.

    Jahciple
  19. #19  
    Johnly's Avatar

    Posts
    7,352 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,397 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdog Elite View Post
    So there's been a ton of talk over 2.2, but I feel like I should point out some things that I just can't get enough of on the fascinate, and probably the other samsung galaxy S phones.

    My Files - For something so simple it seems really stupid that the average android smart phone doesn't include a file manager on board. I owned 3 sony ericsson walkman phones and they all came with a great file manager as a FEATURE PHONE! What ***** could not include one.

    Task Manager - This is a less powerful, but VERY useful app, along with the program monitor widget, that keeps the phone running like a dream for your average android newbie. Being less powerful also keep the uninformed from destabilizing their phones by killing apps that shouldn't be killed. I sell phones all day, and 1 in 4 comes back with advanced task killer, and broken blue tooth, email, apps, calls and more. When I can uninstall it and throw up program monitor instead it makes my life so easy, and makes my customers really happy.

    The eye candy - The fascinate lock screen is a huge visual upgrade IMO, and makes the phone feel nicer. The puzzle piece interface also allows you to jump straight to whatever notification you're probably unlocking your phone to get at. The dock, and app drawer are a lot nicer than most, even though I use a launcher, I still love the lock screen.

    Notification shade - In the notification shade you've got all the pertinent toggles that you'll probably want in a flash without going into settings, or flipping to where ever you left that widget.

    Smoother interface - When you go to add an e-mail address on the fascinate you just open the app. I know at least with moto blur you're average 6 clicks from adding your account. Messaging? an extra click. By combining so many features into a single app it feels more integrated, but in fact just ends up wasting time.

    I understand that some people hate touchwiz, and there are apps to provide most of the functionality that I mention here, but really some of these features are so much better when integrated, and I fly through my phone standing right next to my boss with his droid X, my co worker with her droid 2, and my dad with his HTC. I think all beefs aside if you were to compare TouchWiz with any other UI, it'll fight to the finish, without adding the complicated settings provided with most aftermarket launchers. Opinions please! What's everyone else think?

    (Don't get me wrong, i'd punch a kitten for 2.2, but I still flaunt my phone all day, and feel good about it.)
    If my fascinate would have had a data connection and gave me a good gps bing free I would still have it. I love how you folks have stuck it out, found the fixes, and are happy on OS 2.1. It is great ,and the sgs is a great device!
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
    If my fascinate would have had a data connection and gave me a good gps bing free I would still have it. I love how you folks have stuck it out, found the fixes, and are happy on OS 2.1. It is great ,and the sgs is a great device!
    The screen is my favorite part, GPS isn't huge for me, and oddly worked just fine when navigating (only bad for overhead map it seemed). I also liked the size, and the eye candy was great too.
  21. #21  
    DAFFYDC's Avatar

    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

    Default

    I just installed the GO Launcher and I'm lovin my Fascinate even more.
  22. #22  
    Chris3D's Avatar

    Posts
    647 Posts
    Global Posts
    646 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdog Elite View Post
    So there's been a ton of talk over 2.2, but I feel like I should point out some things that I just can't get enough of on the fascinate, and probably the other samsung galaxy S phones.

    My Files
    Task Manager
    I agree, I really like these two apps, along with Memo for notes. Each time I've flashed one of the alpha 2.2 roms, I've missed these apps.
  23. #23  

    Default Thank you for the reality check...

    This is a fantastic phone. I've had mine for 5 or 6 weeks now and am very pleased with it after doing some basic customization (no root needed).

    I'm just amazed at how people who have a such great technology IN THEIR HAND always want something new and different. I guess this handheld technology is just another form of heroin.

    Just my two cents...
  24. #24  
    wtherrell's Avatar

    Posts
    378 Posts
    ROM
    JBSourcery 2.4/ Franco 6

    Default

    Been de-binged a long time, thanks to the knowledgemeisters on the forum. Now that DL09 has fixed the GPS, only other thing I want is for the speaker jacks on the car dock and desk cradle to work. If the devs can find a way to do that then Samsung and VZW can keep their frozen spoiled milk.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wtherrell View Post
    Been de-binged a long time, thanks to the knowledgemeisters on the forum. Now that DL09 has fixed the GPS, only other thing I want is for the speaker jacks on the car dock and desk cradle to work. If the devs can find a way to do that then Samsung and VZW can keep their frozen spoiled milk.
    I couldn't agree more. I love that this phone is so awesome out of the box, and the complaints are mostly minimal.
    Anything you can do iCandobetter

    If you're having kernel problems I feel bad for you son. I got 99 problems but a glitch ain't one!

    Don't be afraid to click the thanks button at the bottom of a post. It tells AC to put some skittles down the chute in our cage :-)

    S.E. W810i (ret) S.E. W850i (ret) S.E. w902 (ret) S.E. satio (r.i.p. software support) , samsung fascinate (ret), droid 3 (backup), droid razr(returned), gnex mike's Π
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B