Battery charge current help

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Long story, but I bought a used Fascinate without the stock charger.
Could someone install, or hopefully already have, the "Battery monitor Widget". Then plug their Fascinate into the stock AC charger or stock car charger (NOT the USB on a PC), and let me know what the usage (ma) reading is on the widget.

More of the story. Basically, I know that at least on older HTC devices they would pull more charge/operating power from a non-USB connection. Actual USB is limited to 500ma load, so they had a system that kept the current low on USB and bumped it up for non-USB. All of the non-stock cables that I have show a very low charge rate on the Fascinate. It in fact runs the battery dead while on charge and I use the phone with GPS software.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Found it. I have been searching for this for a couple of weeks and just now stumbled on the right search keywords.

For anyone that wants to know.

The Fascinate appears to pull about 350ma from the 5 volt supply normally. But, if you short out the USB D+ and D- lines in the charge connector, the charge current goes up to about 600ma.

That will help me not have a dead battery when using the GPS.

Oh, as an added bonus, you don't get the USB / Debug notification.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
just so you know, i use a car dock and run the gps, mp3 player, bluetooth and phone quite often and mine still charges very quickly. it may be that you have a hardware problem of some sort.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I bought a third party USB charger on eBay, and it charges as if it was plugged into a computer, and asks for the mount/unmount...

Can you go into more detail worwig?

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I bought a third party USB charger on eBay, and it charges as if it was plugged into a computer, and asks for the mount/unmount...

Can you go into more detail worwig?

Not knowing your charger or how to go about this.

You simply short the two USB lines together. Leave the plus and ground lines alone.

Maybe it could be done easily in your charger, but I don't know. My charge cable was home brewed for using on a motorcycle.

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
For future reference, you can check the voltage, amperage, temp, and battery percentage by dialing *#0228# on the dial pad. Mine pulls about 170 via PC USB and about 275 on AC. I'll check my truck later which uses the USB port of my head unit, not the 12v cigarette lighter adapter.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
For future reference, you can check the voltage, amperage, temp, and battery percentage by dialing *#0228# on the dial pad. Mine pulls about 170 via PC USB and about 275 on AC. I'll check my truck later which uses the USB port of my head unit, not the 12v cigarette lighter adapter.

Interesting. The actual current from the charger is pretty much double that number. When I see 272ma, the actual current is about 500ma. When is displays 166ma, it is actually about 330ma.

Odd.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463